Notices

will an upgrade to an sti tmic be overkill for my setup-04wrx

Old 25 July 2016, 10:07 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will an upgrade to an sti tmic be overkill for my setup-04wrx

Hi all, Im just after a few of your guys opinions and experiences with this. I have an 04 uk wrx blob, i have got a hybrid billet td04 with larger compressor wheel to go on rated at about 320 bhp. along with some nice supporting mods ive got ready i am hoping to see a good 310-320. so atm i have the standard top mount running the upgrraded silicone y pipe. if i keep this i will be getting a turbo blanket, dei heat reflective tape on the cooler end tanks,sides and piping and doing the throttle body coolant bypass mod try try and slow down any heat soak. the car will only be used for road driving really. So ive been looking into the sti newage topmount but needs the undertray and scoop to make the most of it. I just want to know really if anyone out there runs decent power through the stock wrx tmic, wether it will be restricting a road setup shooting for 320bhp, or wether the sti tmic will defo be needed. What are you guys opinions on the stock 04 blob wrx tmic for max power etc. When you start adding up costs for the cooler, tray and scoop it gets expensive so i only want to pay it out if its needed. many thanks in advance
Old 25 July 2016, 12:27 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the standard works up to about 350 bhp. However from what I understand you'll need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump before that.
What mods have you got to your exhaust?
If you're concerned about heat another mod to look at would a header tank spacer kit. It's not going to solve all the under body temp issues but for less then £20 and 5 minutes to fit it's worthwhile.
However, I'd would advise some caution, you're getting close to the max power a wrx will cope with...
Old 25 July 2016, 12:44 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

But if you do go down that route I've got an freshly acid dipped sti top mount, plus a de-cat up pipe and turbo blanket on the for sale section if you want to make me an offer...

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...o-blanket.html
Old 25 July 2016, 12:45 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

hi thanks for the reply. im aware of the risks, ive always been pretty lucy with running high power through cars, i am quite mechanically sympathetic as well i suppose. ive ran 350 through a classic t2000 and 400 through an evo 5 both standard engines without problems for years. if the engine or box goes it goes it just means its time to upgrade then.

but anyway, the rest of the mods will be as follows...
walbro 225 pump
pink sti injectors
cossy panel filter
intercooler y pipe
silicone reinforced turbo inlet hose
prodrive sport cat with open neck entry and 2nd cat delete dei heat wrapped
the hybrid td04 that ive already mentioned
harvey trick up pipe dei heat wrapped
rest of exhaust 2.5 straight through to ninja back box

the header tank spacer kit, yes that is also something i am going to do as like you say for the price it cant hurt!

im toying with the idea of not bothering with the sti intercooler upgrade cos i could get the stock headers ported by as performance who do the harvey up pipes. maybe this will get me more porformace gains for my money rather then an intercooler if thats not needed.

last thing i want though is on mapping day is him saying... the setups got loads more to give but the intercooler wont let me push past 300bhp... if you get my drift.

Or maybe wait another month or so and get the cooler as well. lol.

Cheers
Old 25 July 2016, 12:47 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
But if you do go down that route I've got an freshly acid dipped sti top mount, plus a de-cat up pipe and turbo blanket on the for sale section if you want to make me an offer...

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...o-blanket.html
Hi yes i have actually seen it advertised. has it since been tested since the dipping process to ensure it its leak free? p.m. me if you prefer. thanks
Old 25 July 2016, 01:27 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Header Tank Spacer ?

Please enlighten me ?

I am looking to reduce under bonnet temps as much as possible, it this a mod for both wrx and sti ?
Old 25 July 2016, 01:35 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

first time ive heard of a header tank spacer kit, whats the crack?
Old 25 July 2016, 01:47 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
first time ive heard of a header tank spacer kit, whats the crack?
Dont get too excited. It's basically a couple of bits of heat resistant nylon bar that separates the header tank from the drivers side of the inlet manifold. I've heard it can reduce the temperature of the inlet by about 20 degrees. Cheap and quick to fit though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222167299850

Here is one fitted to my wrx

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 25 July 2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 25 July 2016, 01:53 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It equalises the temps from left to right, you may see a slight reduction in temps too.

Last edited by banny sti; 25 July 2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 25 July 2016, 01:54 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Header Tank Spacer ?

Please enlighten me ?

I am looking to reduce under bonnet temps as much as possible, it this a mod for both wrx and sti ?
basically just stops/slows down the heat transfer from the hot header tank into the inlet, the same way thermal spacers between the inlet and heads work. helps keep the inlet cooler thus keeps inlet temps down also.

think AS performance also sell the kits to do this as well, and yes for wrx and sti.
Old 25 July 2016, 05:33 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

So anyway are there people out there using the stock newage wrx tmic pushing 320 or more and found it ok for the road?
Old 25 July 2016, 09:37 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Id upgrade for peace of mind, i did when i went vf34
Old 26 July 2016, 12:54 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It shouldn't be a restriction at your power levels.

However, there are pros and cons with fitting an STi unit. Obviously reduced temps from bigger core - which may be helpful with your hybrid if you are running increased boost. Downside is of course that it will increase spool, as there is a bigger volume to fill.

So if your WRX item is sufficient to not effect performance, then by fitting an STi item, all you are doing is increasing spool. Which would somewhat defeat the point of the hybrid TD04.

I would say it's an optional mod; there are more important, better bang for buck parts to fit first. Maybe buy one and see if your mapper wil map with the WRX and then the STi fitted, to see the difference? You can always get your money back from selling it on again. Or just ask your mapper if they have a preference.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 26 July 2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 26 July 2016, 01:13 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
It shouldn't be a restriction at your power levels.

However, there are pros and cons with fitting an STi unit. Obviously reduced temps from bigger core - which may be helpful with your hybrid if you are running increased boost. Downside is of course that it will reduce spool, as there is a bigger volume to fill.

So if your WRX item is sufficient to not effect performance, then by fitting an STi item, all you are doing is increasing spool. Which would somewhat defeat the point of the hybrid TD04.

I would say it's an optional mod; there are more important, better bang for buck parts to fit first. Maybe buy one and see if your mapper wil map with the WRX and then the STi fitted, to see the difference? You can always get your money back from selling it on again. Or just ask your mapper if they have a preference.
thanks bud. think im going to just get a set of stock headers ported and be done with it. got pretty much everything i need then really hoping for some quick spool and low down grunt on the setup but still pulling well to 6k
Old 26 July 2016, 01:40 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Who did you hybrid out of interest and what are the specs?
Old 26 July 2016, 04:16 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

i bought the unit used and i waited pretty much 4 months to find one for sale. its only done 15k as well. its got the larger billet compressor wheel, with machined comp housing to suit (i think the wheels a 19t, its rated at 320 anyway) upgraded 360 degree bearing set, and the comp housings ported and polished. i think the exhaust wheel and exhaust side housing is still stock though.
Old 27 July 2016, 01:30 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I have a spare TD04 that I intend to hybrid at some point (as well as rebuild). Will go with a 19t compressor and the housing but probably also try a modded exhaust wheel.

Be interesting therefore to see what figures you get.
Old 27 July 2016, 04:28 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickmuncher
It's a wrx I wouldn't bother

Hilarious and so original.
Old 27 July 2016, 05:26 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

We're being trolled. lol

I don't expect this new identity to last the day out!
Old 27 July 2016, 05:56 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
We're being trolled. lol

I don't expect this new identity to last the day out!
Perfect Username for them , at least we all know where we stand.