Notices

upgrades to reach 370-400bhp advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2016, 09:30 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get me to do it Gary, im only across the water in Angus!
Old 05 February 2016, 09:32 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
it's a typical dealer build, not checking things like bearing matching, is the crank actually balanced etc etc etc

my heads being assembled, can see the measuring calliper and the note pad on the right to check, record and match tolerances.

Caliper? Micrometer I dont like those new style mic's, we have some at work, I prefer the old cast frame style.

Last edited by boosted; 05 February 2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05 February 2016, 05:05 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering, I have read ACL bearings are inconsistent, if the clearances are not all the same, or too much/too small, is it a case of keep trying bearings till they are all all the same?

Which means possibly having to buy 3 or 4 packs of bearings?

cheers
Old 05 February 2016, 05:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by just me
Just wondering, I have read ACL bearings are inconsistent, if the clearances are not all the same, or too much/too small, is it a case of keep trying bearings till they are all all the same?

cheers
Scoobyclinic built mine and have about 20 packs on the shelf
Old 05 February 2016, 06:21 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

cheers
That's the kind of information I'd like to get a definitive answer to ,

This is a hobby, it's more about doing this myself than the end result but of coarse the end result has to be spot on , if I **** up i'll take what I've learned and get it right the next time ,

Getting all the information needed to achieve this is the hardest part but this forum has the combined knowledge to be able to do it ,

The video I posted earlier in the thread shows the basics and it's a great starting point but I need to know from the experts what else has to be done .

Last edited by gary77; 05 February 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05 February 2016, 06:41 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

From what I gather it just a case of trying bearings, I dont think building a Subaru engine is as difficult as its made out, but no body wants to share any knowledge, try the yank forums, they seem to be much more open in regsards to engine building.
Old 05 February 2016, 07:03 PM
Nismoboy
Scooby Regular

I say good on you for doing a self build, I'm just the same and I've built and rebuilt many different engines, the feeling you get from building your own projects is something u should all experience. I agree with the last comments we are all here to help each other so why not share more build experiences good or bad so these mistakes that aren't always clear to some don't happen and allow more people to self build.
Old 05 February 2016, 07:17 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

From what I gather it just a case of trying bearings, I dont think building a Subaru engine is as difficult as its made out, but no body wants to share any knowledge, try the yank forums, they seem to be much more open in regsards to engine building.

Sadly you may be right
Old 05 February 2016, 10:50 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Your right, building a subaru engine is absolutely no different to building any other engine. Ok procedures are slightly different, but the main principals are the same.
What experience have you all got at building engines successfully in general?
Old 05 February 2016, 11:34 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

None at all , this will be my first . So a lot to learn.

Just talking about the short block for now what do you think will be the part I'd most likely have trouble with ?

I don't know if you watched the video I put a link up to but everything in that is very straight forward can you tell me what process is missing from that ,

It is measuring the tollerancez right , so if I'm told what to do in respect of that where do you imagine I would go wrong ?

These are genuine questions ,

At the moment nobody has said , for example , you have to do this or that , and I've been like oh that must take some very unique skill that I couldn't possably have

Last edited by gary77; 05 February 2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06 February 2016, 04:45 PM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

Go for it, just wish I had the time myself to do it.
Old 06 February 2016, 06:36 PM
Burbble
Scooby Newbie

Hi Gary, Save yourself some money and buy an impreza with the work already done would be my advice. Only because i bought my impreza to drive it not to take it to bits lol

I dont mean to poke at the people who do take there cars to bits because the majority of your cars are awesome and i completely understand the pride and passion that you put into them
Old 06 February 2016, 06:37 PM
Burbble
Scooby Newbie

But as for a youtube rebuild.....
Old 06 February 2016, 06:40 PM
Burbble
Scooby Newbie

Heres an example. Type in ebay item 151971995519. Dunno if its anygood but just to reinforce what im saying its £3k
Old 06 February 2016, 09:06 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gary77
None at all , this will be my first . So a lot to learn.

Just talking about the short block for now what do you think will be the part I'd most likely have trouble with ?

I don't know if you watched the video I put a link up to but everything in that is very straight forward can you tell me what process is missing from that ,

It is measuring the tollerancez right , so if I'm told what to do in respect of that where do you imagine I would go wrong ?

These are genuine questions ,

At the moment nobody has said , for example , you have to do this or that , and I've been like oh that must take some very unique skill that I couldn't possably have
Good question, a mate of mine recently built a forged impreza sti engine. It was his first ever engine build and he has it in the car and running now. Couple of thousand miles on ot now.
It leaks oil badly from the cam caps at the front because he didn't realise that needs sealant, apart from that it actually runs really well. Although there is a snapped bolt along the top of the casing that's now completely missing (because he doesn't have the skill or experience to drill it out). Also he built the short block twice because I just so happened to be passing, had a look and said to him straight away "that's far too dirty, you also have far too much sealant between that casings, that's will cause problems, strip it down, clean it, build it again." So he did.
What I'm saying is it's entirely possible for you to build an engine, but I would expect some amatuer mistakes, because that's exactly what you will be.
Old 06 February 2016, 09:54 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

thanks for your input , i get the point your making and i'm very concious of it, that it would be very easy for it to go wrong because of some simple process i miss or do wrong.

my plan is to have the block halves taken to the pros to have irt cleaned ,inspected and any machining done .

i've still not heard anything thats putting me off doing this but it is a long way off, i have the car to strip down . i plan to take everything off the car , bumpers ,suspension ,engine ,

im going to strip back the underside and arches and repaint , i've got epoxy mastic for that , considering painting the engine bay myself, build the engine and refit , the brakes i will need to replace with better but leaving that for after , going to rebuild the origanals for now , i have grooved discs from godspeed for these.

when all thats done i'll see about getting it resprayed ,

i cancelled this project because i needed a garage it was not realistic to think i could do this on a drive and in a shed , allthough there was an inspiring thread on here by a guy who was making a great job of doing just that , not sure what happened there his thread hasnt been updated for a few months .

from reading other threads and because of costs i've decided to stay below 400bhp , somewhere around 350bhp seems to be good for a road going classic ,

i still want to rebuild the engine but not sure what internals to replace and with what so any recomendations in regards to that wuld be appreciated .
Old 07 February 2016, 12:17 AM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Burbble
Heres an example. Type in ebay item 151971995519. Dunno if its anygood but just to reinforce what im saying its £3k
That does look good for the money he's asking , surprised how cheap it is .

I've had my car for 9 years I don't plan to ever sell it , it's been off the road for the last few years , I'm in a good position now to start getting it back into mint condition , it will take me a long time but I'm not in any hurry to get it back on the road ,
Old 07 February 2016, 04:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the link to my DIY build, I broke some of the rules, but there's plenty of engine builders out there re-using rods, cranks and pistons.

If you're handy with spanners, you're right, it's really not as difficult as it's cracked up to be, although I have been taking things apart and putting them back together since being a little kid, pretty much as long as I can remember.

You need to be methodical, clean, clean and clean again and that's not a joke, you also need to dry build it a couple of times and check everything over and over.

I'd read up the night before on the bit I was going to do the next day so it was fresh in my mind, I'd also read it several times before too, then have the laptop next to me with the relevant pages open to check bit by bit, as well as notes I'd made on the key points, as my memory can be a bit crap sometimes, more so when there's a lot to remember and it needs to be exact.

Don't be put off by the nay sayers that have never done it, but believe it's some sort of witch craft because it's not, it's a process, take your time, do your research, be methodical, take lots of notes and a few pictures and then constantly refer back to them, check and double check, clean and clean again.

Mine was a while ago now so the finer details are not too fresh, manuals are on here in the Technical Archive, most useful was newage STI, but there are certain subtle differences so again do your research and ask questions.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-rebuild.html

Last edited by ditchmyster; 07 February 2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07 February 2016, 05:11 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll notice my laptop on the right of the picture, this was near the end on the bench where I put it all together in my mates dads truck workshop, he let me use his tools as I never had any Torque wrenches and gauges then.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 07 February 2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07 February 2016, 09:43 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

cheers
My garage found this so buys King bearings now and have stated they are all spot on.
Have a look on NASIOC as there are a few reviews etc on them.
Old 07 February 2016, 12:26 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Are the ACL bearings Australian made or American ? if the latter bin them, the tolerances & finish are not the same by quite a margin.
Old 07 February 2016, 09:59 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Here's the link to my DIY build, I broke some of the rules, but there's plenty of engine builders out there re-using rods, cranks and pistons.

If you're handy with spanners, you're right, it's really not as difficult as it's cracked up to be, although I have been taking things apart and putting them back together since being a little kid, pretty much as long as I can remember.

You need to be methodical, clean, clean and clean again and that's not a joke, you also need to dry build it a couple of times and check everything over and over.

I'd read up the night before on the bit I was going to do the next day so it was fresh in my mind, I'd also read it several times before too, then have the laptop next to me with the relevant pages open to check bit by bit, as well as notes I'd made on the key points, as my memory can be a bit crap sometimes, more so when there's a lot to remember and it needs to be exact.

Don't be put off by the nay sayers that have never done it, but believe it's some sort of witch craft because it's not, it's a process, take your time, do your research, be methodical, take lots of notes and a few pictures and then constantly refer back to them, check and double check, clean and clean again.

Mine was a while ago now so the finer details are not too fresh, manuals are on here in the Technical Archive, most useful was newage STI, but there are certain subtle differences so again do your research and ask questions.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-rebuild.html
Thanks for your positive words , I had a read of your rebuild ,