Mysterious issue - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2015, 11:14 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious issue - Please help!

Hiya guys,

I've been a member here for some time now and would usually find the answers to my questions on the forum but this time I need your advice, help and opinions.

We own a WRX 2004 and have owned her for 18 months now, covering only 900 miles in this time.

I was informed by the Mrs on Tuesday that the oil light was flickering when approaching red light or slowing down in general. OK! I have planned to change the oil anyway I thought.

On wednesday Without checking the cars history I done a little internet research to find the most suitable oil to be 10w-40 so I went and purchased 4L of Petronas (syntium 1000) synthetic based.

I contacted my mechanics to fit give me a slot for an oil change but he was unable to fit me in until Monday so I thought with the weekend approaching and the Mrs wanting to shop I should at least give the car a top up to avoid low pressure.

Friday evening I warmed her up and parked her on level ground to check the level of the oil, mysteriously there was no oil showing on the dipstick.

O crap I thought... She is bone dry. I started to add oil (topup) from the 4L checking the dipstick at regular intervals.... I by this time added 3 qts for the dipstick to fail a reading.

Unbelievable..... I took her for a low speed 2 mile round trip to find her purring like a kitten and running nice. Switching her off when i returned and having checked the level again to still get no reading leaves me VERY confused.

I let her cool and checked again.... No joy! And noticed that when warming it seemed to giving off what looked like condensation (white smoke) which is normal when cold but this as continued even when warm.

It not thick white smoke, it seems to evaporate quite quickly. I will add a video once submitting this post which will show the fumes (smoke) when running warm.

What would you do next?
I don't want add more, I really want to diagnose the problem and even drop the oil to replace it all with fresh.

Looking back through the history I have found she as been running on castrol 5w-30.

Would this cause the problem of smoke?
Why do you think I don't get a reading from the dip stick?

I have used a metal hanger to go two inch further into the pan and I do get a reading but it's not what would expect from having topped up with 3 quarts on top of whatever was existing.

I should also mention she is running a little cooler than previous and is not using coolant.

Can you help?
Your opinions, ideas and advice is much appreciated.

Video to follow
Old 16 August 2015, 11:52 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Hers a link to the video showing the outcome after topping up but still failing to recieve a oil level via the dip stick
Old 17 August 2015, 01:51 AM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Any help is appreciated.... #CantSleep

Would mixing the new 10w40 with 5w30 have caused it to smoke or do you think there is too much oil in it?

This is what I am left to think even though no oil is dip stick reading.

Should I not have bought 10w40 now finding out it as previously been using 5w30

As said above, if you offer any advice it is much appreciated.
Tomorrow I guess I'm dropping the oil, I'm not even warming the car again, it will have to sit any drain all day.
Old 17 August 2015, 09:11 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Thats just condensation rather than oil smoke

I assume you are checking on level ground? Using10w40 isnt an issue either
Old 17 August 2015, 09:33 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really not sure. Perhaps a sensible option is to find out exactly how much oil is in there, so drain it out into a drip tray and see how much is there, it sounds like a lot of oil has gone in, and little is showing on the dipstick. You don't want to overfill the oil, that can cause as much damage as running low.

Cheers

Tim
Old 17 August 2015, 11:59 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As above.
Old 17 August 2015, 04:09 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reassuring comment... (Condensation)

I've finally dropped the oil from cold and with it still trickling oil I get a low reading from what's come out upto now (3.5 litres) so it's basically still 1.5 short minus whats in the oil filter so lets say 1 liter short.

So this is where I stand.

Oil warning light starts flickered at low revs over a couple days, in this time only covering approx 3 mile. come to top up, no oil on dip stick, so put in approx 2.5 litre of fresh to top up but still failed to show on dip stick.

This means the car was real real low on oil but running fine until putting in the fresh oil.

Any ideas as to what the smoking could be given the update?
Old 17 August 2015, 04:13 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
I'm really not sure. Perhaps a sensible option is to find out exactly how much oil is in there, so drain it out into a drip tray and see how much is there, it sounds like a lot of oil has gone in, and little is showing on the dipstick. You don't want to overfill the oil, that can cause as much damage as running low.

Cheers

Tim
Cheers Oilman.

Dropped the oil to find approx 3.5 litres in the car (total) meaning it was real low, so after topping up to now what we now there was 3.5 litres plus what's in the filter at the time of giving off the smoke shown in the vid.

Could the smoke be the thicker oil wearing in?
Would I not get a reading from dip stick with 3.5 litres?

Thanks in advance
Billy
Old 17 August 2015, 04:15 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
Thats just condensation rather than oil smoke

I assume you are checking on level ground? Using10w40 isnt an issue either
You really thick it's condensation?

Why would do this after adding the oil, it was running fine before adding the oil

Please also see my update to see if you have other ideas given the update.

Cheers
Old 17 August 2015, 04:37 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Min on the dipstick is about 4 litres IIRC. Car take 5 litres full, well mine does anyway.
Old 17 August 2015, 04:43 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JensonsScooby
Cheers Oilman.

Dropped the oil to find approx 3.5 litres in the car (total) meaning it was real low, so after topping up to now what we now there was 3.5 litres plus what's in the filter at the time of giving off the smoke shown in the vid.

Could the smoke be the thicker oil wearing in?
Would I not get a reading from dip stick with 3.5 litres?

Thanks in advance
Billy
Hi Billy

I would think 3.5L is off the bottom of the dipstick, 4.5L is the oil capacity, so a litre below that is not likely to show on the dipstick.

I think Gambit is right about it being condensation. I also really don't think changing oil from a 5w-30 to 10w-40 should cause it to smoke.

Cheers

Tim
Old 17 August 2015, 07:17 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Default Condensation

Originally Posted by oilman
Hi Billy

I would think 3.5L is off the bottom of the dipstick, 4.5L is the oil capacity, so a litre below that is not likely to show on the dipstick.

I think Gambit is right about it being condensation. I also really don't think changing oil from a 5w-30 to 10w-40 should cause it to smoke.

Cheers

Tim
Thanks for that,

Do you have any idea as to where the condensation might be coming from?
Could condensation have built up in the engine due to being low on oil, then when topped up to norm it's beginning to kick it out?

Thanks Tim.

Gambit jump in on this too mate.

Billy.
Old 17 August 2015, 07:20 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

This wasn't happening before I topped up hence me thinking the above.

Is any damage to the engine while the condensation passing through?
Old 17 August 2015, 07:59 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The condensation forms inside the exhaust, then evaporates out, hence the steam.
Old 17 August 2015, 09:26 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP
The condensation forms inside the exhaust, then evaporates out, hence the steam.
Cheers, why would this happen after topping up oil?
Old 17 August 2015, 09:33 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Billy, you say it's steaming even when warm? It could be coolant. You may possibly have a head gasket problem, the symptoms of which are many and varied. My advice is not to run the engine until you've found out where all the oil has gone, and why. What did the oil you drained out look like?
Old 17 August 2015, 10:12 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
Billy, you say it's steaming even when warm? It could be coolant. You may possibly have a head gasket problem, the symptoms of which are many and varied. My advice is not to run the engine until you've found out where all the oil has gone, and why. What did the oil you drained out look like?
Hi,

I did mention that the original problem arisen when the oil light started to flicker, with the weekend approaching having planned an oil for Monday I decided to start a top up rather than change to see us through the weekend.

I began topping up, ended up putting in approx 3 litres which still read short on dipstick.

So, basically, car runs normal, oil light comes on, I top up and the car begins to smoke / steam.

Level of coolant is fine.

Billy
Old 17 August 2015, 10:18 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

I must add, temps are good, coolant level is good. No oil water, no water in oil. No lag..

My next job now she sits empty is refill her with fresh 4.5L 10w40 and warm her up to see if this still occurs.

Last edited by JensonsScooby; 17 August 2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 17 August 2015, 10:34 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

The big question is why did more than 3 litres of oil suddenly disappear? That's most of it! When did you last check the level before this happened? Are there any obvious leaks? It could be smoke in the exhaust from a failed turbo bearing due to lack of oil.
Old 17 August 2015, 10:48 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
The big question is why did more than 3 litres of oil suddenly disappear? That's most of it! When did you last check the level before this happened? Are there any obvious leaks? It could be smoke in the exhaust from a failed turbo bearing due to lack of oil.
I honestly wouldn't say it's turbo related, the smoke isn't quite smoke, did you watch the vid? It seems to evaporate (quick) as steam in my honest opinion whereas a turbo related problem would kick out black smoke right? And even blacker when driven to the point of loosing power and filling the streets with black clouds
Old 17 August 2015, 11:00 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Forget the smoke/steam for a minute, what about the main question?
Old 17 August 2015, 11:16 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

The 3 litres didn't leak anywhere, it seems it as been used without a warning until this low.

I can't remember when I last checked the level, 8 months ago.
Why leave it that long? We do 2 mile aday in the car so didn't think to check
Old 18 August 2015, 12:16 AM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

I really don't know how to respond in a polite way given that information.
Good luck sorting it out.
Old 18 August 2015, 12:33 AM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Neither do I to be honest mate...
I can't blame the Mrs can I, even though she is the main driver.

I've just got an instant migraine!

Can you honestly say from what you can see in the video is that damage as been done?
Could what you see be a result of the change in oil viscosity needing to wear in? or even a result of running with 3.5L

If an engine is low on oil would this cause an excessive build up of condensation in the exhaust?

Thanks for your time
Old 18 August 2015, 12:48 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

This steaming can appear worse some days than others purely down to the temperature/humidity. I really wouldn't worry about it given that your catalytic convertor produces small amounts of water anyway.
Old 18 August 2015, 12:51 AM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

She was running absolutely fine except for a flickering oil light at low revs

No warning until so low! I guess this is due to a faulty oil pressure sensor?
Old 18 August 2015, 12:54 AM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brendy76
This steaming can appear worse some days than others purely down to the temperature/humidity. I really wouldn't worry about it given that your catalytic convertor produces small amounts of water anyway.
Hi,

She doesn't have any cats on.
Old 18 August 2015, 10:16 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

At this time of the year with the higher ambient temp. the condensation from the exhaust after a cold start, should disappear after a couple of minutes.
The usual reason for white smoke is failed bearing seal in the turbo, allowing the oil being fed to the turbo being burnt. Oil burnt in the engine would normally produce blue smoke as it's at the point of combustion. Oil burnt in the turbo will be different in colour as it's being burnt by the exhaust.
If you've allowed the oil level to drop to the point of 'no show' on the dipstick, most on here might suggest you're in a 'self inflicted' situation, unfortunately. If the oil light has been flickering it indicates the pressure has dropped to just a few PSI The normal pressure at idle when warm on a 5/30 oil should be around 25PSI
Hope you've got away with it!

JohnD
Old 18 August 2015, 10:40 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JensonsScooby
Hi,

She doesn't have any cats on.
Fair enough, mine doesnt neither and still gives a little moisture while warming up.
Old 18 August 2015, 11:38 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all who found the time to offer their opinion.

Here's a run down from start to finish.

1.) informed by the Mrs the oil pressure light was flickering under low revs, but running absolutely fine.

2.) investigated, no show on dip stick, anxious I started to add oil from a 4L, got half through the bottle still no show. Thought dipstick was faulty! (surely she cant be that low) I stopped filling and started her up and she smoking as the video shows. Turned her off after seeing this.

3.) emptied her to measure 3.5L plus filter capacity, bought another 4L, filter, sump plug and seal.

4.) filled the new oil filter and added 4L (fresh) after letting it settle it reads full.
Started her up and let her warm (idle) for 15 minutes then give her 1000-3000 RPM for 10 minutes (no fumes or gases escaping and coolant / oil levels levels remain fine.)

There was a little condensation at start up but only for the 1st 5 mins, it quickly cleared and she purrrrrr'd sounding as good as..... (I won't say it)

Tomorrow I will take her for a good drive and call a close to this topic.

Thanks again to all y'all

Quick Reply: Mysterious issue - Please help!