Notices

Think I Need To Sort My Air Filter Out ??

Old 26 January 2015, 01:36 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I Need To Sort My Air Filter Out ??

Hi All,

Looking for some advice and options of which way to go regarding changing / upgrading my air filter.

I have a 2005 STI and noticed yesterday when refitting the drivers side headlight that the intake snorkel isn't connected to anything

It plugs into the inner wing but the previous owner has removed the resonator box from within the inner wing but not replaced it with the small semi circle pipe (Remember doing this on my old 2005 Impreza)

So basically there isn't a great deal of cold air being delivered into the air box !!

I started thinking last night about options but not sure which way to go.

I am thinking I could first off replace the OEM air box with a cone filter maybe K&N or something, this can't be any worse than current setup ??

I could then run a cold air feed from the front fog light cover via inner wing into engine bay to deliver the cold air ??

Or buy a complete kit.

Reading some threads people say induction kits aren't needed unless running huge BHP and OEM box is fine, others say they are running cone filters but seemed to be a few to avoid.

At the moment the car is relatively as original spec no FMIC, bigger turbo etc.. it has been mapped by previous owner so not your standard STI

Advice on options please
Old 26 January 2015, 01:54 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
Hi All,

Looking for some advice and options of which way to go regarding changing / upgrading my air filter.

I have a 2005 STI and noticed yesterday when refitting the drivers side headlight that the intake snorkel isn't connected to anything

It plugs into the inner wing but the previous owner has removed the resonator box from within the inner wing but not replaced it with the small semi circle pipe (Remember doing this on my old 2005 Impreza)

So basically there isn't a great deal of cold air being delivered into the air box !!

I started thinking last night about options but not sure which way to go.

I am thinking I could first off replace the OEM air box with a cone filter maybe K&N or something, this can't be any worse than current setup ??

I could then run a cold air feed from the front fog light cover via inner wing into engine bay to deliver the cold air ??

Or buy a complete kit.

Reading some threads people say induction kits aren't needed unless running huge BHP and OEM box is fine, others say they are running cone filters but seemed to be a few to avoid.

At the moment the car is relatively as original spec no FMIC, bigger turbo etc.. it has been mapped by previous owner so not your standard STI

Advice on options please
Quickest and easiest way is to call either a breaker or a dealer and get the part your missing

Doubt it would be anymore than £30 delivered
Old 26 January 2015, 02:19 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

But isn't the standard setup too restrictive ??
Old 26 January 2015, 02:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No, not with a decent filter in place, good to 300+bhp
Old 26 January 2015, 03:44 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58932.html

Level 3 360-390 bhp
K+N panel filter

Good for well past the 300 mark it would seem
Old 26 January 2015, 09:35 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

That has quite surprised me to be honest, makes a change for the standard kit to be considered good enough

But if I was thinking longer term too, possible FMIC etc would it cause any harm if I changed it now ??

In fact if I change it now (Seen a K&N induction kit on here for £50) would it cause any problems ?? And if I recall from when I have changed to 75i kits on other cars don't you get increased noise ??
Old 26 January 2015, 09:47 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

any filter will give you increased noise over the stock airbox. the downside is the lack of filtration might wear out your MAF sensor sooner. more so if you over oil your filter (the filter oil kills the sensor when sucked past it).

Other problem with most air filters is they don't have any protection from underbonnet heat so do tend to heat soak a bit more. If you spend time in traffic then think about spending the extra on an air filter that comes with a heat shield (some of the K&N systems, cobb, cosworth etc.) take a look on ebay you'll see the difference between a £35 quid "short ram air intake" and a £250 performance system.

also need to make sure your new system has the same diameter MAF pipe as the stock system, making the pipe larger or smaller without telling the ECU means the car will be over or under fuelling which will lose you power or lean you so much your engine knocks.
Old 27 January 2015, 11:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't really muck about with the induction side, air filters, inlet kits, FMIC, without getting the map at least checked.

Therein lies the road to running lean and DET!!!!
Old 28 January 2015, 11:42 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys

Seems I could of got myself into a right mess by replacing the standard box.

I need to either get a new resonator box or by pass pipe as current box isn't connected, or I could run a cold air feed from front bumper through inner wing and attach to OE air box ??

I am thinking now keep the OE air box, K&N panel filter, Cold air feed from front bumper

Something like this ??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-Col...item51a6eba98d
Old 28 January 2015, 11:57 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

You can pickup a snorkel pipe easy enough from any of the breakers on here or you can buy the U bend to connect the standard airbox to the front grill scoop directly with no snorkel box.

The air in the front wing is going to be colder than what's in the engine bay and that's the main thing. See if you can seal the airbox to the wing (maybe buy a length of black hose, split it down the middle and line the hole in the wing with it to bridge the gap). That way you have the front scoop pushing cold air into the wing and the airbox sucking air from the wing space without any hot engine bay air sneaking in the gaps.

I wouldn't be spending that much cash on a flexi pipe that runs down to the ground - take a wonder round B&Q you'll probably pick one up for 5.99
Old 28 January 2015, 01:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And beware of sucking in air too close to the ground: water can get in and cause hydraulic locking in the engine
Old 29 January 2015, 10:18 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
You can pickup a snorkel pipe easy enough from any of the breakers on here or you can buy the U bend to connect the standard airbox to the front grill scoop directly with no snorkel box.

I still have the snorkel just left it off at the minute as its not connected to anything
Do you know what they call that U-Bend bypass bit ?? or anywhere that sell it ??

can imagine trying to search for that taking quite a while
Old 29 January 2015, 10:21 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
And beware of sucking in air too close to the ground: water can get in and cause hydraulic locking in the engine
Good point, thanks for the advice

Mounting the intake pipe through a whole in the front fog lamp cover is ok though ??