Notices

Quick question on wideband afr

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2014, 09:19 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Quick question on wideband afr

I'm looking to buy a wideband afr sensor and gauge,most likely will be a innovate Motorsport one.
Can I just replace my narrowband oem one with the wideband and will the original connecting plug just plug into the wideband lambda so the ecu still reads the afr? If it does will this do anything to the fueling as it's a more accurate sensor?
Cheers
Rich
Old 23 November 2014, 09:27 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
I'm looking to buy a wideband afr sensor and gauge,most likely will be a innovate Motorsport one.
Can I just replace my narrowband oem one with the wideband and will the original connecting plug just plug into the wideband lambda so the ecu still reads the afr? If it does will this do anything to the fueling as it's a more accurate sensor?
Cheers
Rich
Nope Rich, you have to leave the narrowband connected to the ecu and installed. The wideband has its own connector and plug and can only be used to monitor fuelling unless your ecu supports wideband fuelling such as a syvecs.
Old 23 November 2014, 09:36 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Cheers banny. So I'm going to have to get an extra hold put into the downpipe for the wideband to fit
Do you recon I can do this with the downpipe still on the car?
Where do the mappers fit the wideband when the do a remap?
Old 23 November 2014, 09:42 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Cheers banny. So I'm going to have to get an extra hold put into the downpipe for the wideband to fit
Do you recon I can do this with the downpipe still on the car?
Where do the mappers fit the wideband when the do a remap?
Yep extra hole for the wideband, you possible could do in situ but would be a major hassle and for the hassle not worth doing it like that. Will check my bro's car tomorrow as he has a wideband with gauge for reading fuelling. Mappers normally stick the bung in the tailpipe for ease but Simon god rest his soul had at times stuck it in the original downpipe hole and measured it that way. Once the fuelling is set then put the standard narrowband back in

Last edited by banny sti; 23 November 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 23 November 2014, 09:52 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that banny.
I'm trying to get my stuff together before I buy the esl board. I'm now thinking if I'm going to go through the hassle of taking the downpipe off then I might as well get myself a decat downpipe and put the extra hole in before I fit it
Old 23 November 2014, 09:54 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to cut a hole and weld a new boss on to my downpipe for my wideband sensor. I doubt it could be done on the car. It's not difficult to remove the downpipe anyway.
Old 23 November 2014, 10:26 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
I had to cut a hole and weld a new boss on to my downpipe for my wideband sensor. I doubt it could be done on the car. It's not difficult to remove the downpipe anyway.
Cool,thought it might be a pig of a job.
I have a set of car ramps so should make the job easier.
I will buy the decat,buy the wideband,get the boss welded in then wait for my esl before fitting.
Old 23 November 2014, 10:31 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Cool,thought it might be a pig of a job. I have a set of car ramps so should make the job easier. I will buy the decat,buy the wideband,get the boss welded in then wait for my esl before fitting.
Good plan! I actually removed my exhaust system in one complete piece. Turned out to be easier lol.
Old 23 November 2014, 11:15 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Good plan! I actually removed my exhaust system in one complete piece. Turned out to be easier lol.
Cheers mate,sounds like a good idea.....hmmm might as well go for a decat mid pipe too then
And I suppose I would be a good idea to change the catted up pipe while it's all apart
Old 24 November 2014, 07:07 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Presoak the downpipe to turbo bolts in wd40/plus gas etc. If one of those studs snap youre into a world of pain. I bought spare studs & nuts just in case
Old 24 November 2014, 10:16 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Cheers mate,sounds like a good idea.....hmmm might as well go for a decat mid pipe too then
And I suppose I would be a good idea to change the catted up pipe while it's all apart
JDM cars only had one cat that was in the downpipe, no cat in upipe and only a resonator in the middle section. Just get a decat 2.5" exhaust and be done with it, its fun spending someone elses money
Old 24 November 2014, 11:05 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
JDM cars only had one cat that was in the downpipe, no cat in upipe and only a resonator in the middle section. Just get a decat 2.5" exhaust and be done with it, its fun spending someone elses money
Mine has a fujitsubo zorst on,it's 3" and has a cat in the middle section and a resonator at the back section. It's a very quiet system. I might just change the downpipe for now,and maybe a 3" center? It's good to know that the up pipe has no cat tho
Old 24 November 2014, 11:07 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Mine has a fujitsubo zorst on,it's 3" and has a cat in the middle section and a resonator at the back section. It's a very quiet system. I might just change the downpipe for now,and maybe a 3" center? It's good to know that the up pipe has no cat tho
Yep make it 3" turbo back to keep things simple
Old 24 November 2014, 11:32 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question, yes you can replace your narrowband with the innovate. No probs at all.
The innovate has a configurable analogue output so can mimic the factory narrow band. (After all that's the only reason you would buy an innovate over an AEM for example)
The only thing you have to contend with is the resistance of the heater in the oem narrow band, either use the existing sensor for that or a resistor.
No holes need cut here. Just the wires
Old 24 November 2014, 11:45 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Interesting,cheers boosted I will have a look into that
This will mean a lot less hassle,not having to change the zorst and I will be abel to get my ESL sooner
Old 24 November 2014, 11:49 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Interesting,cheers boosted I will have a look into that
This will mean a lot less hassle,not having to change the zorst and I will be abel to get my ESL sooner
No probs. this is the main reason people use the innovate over any other wideband. If it's just a gauge you want then an AEM will do.
It's fairly well documented on the innovate instructions and te internet how to set up to 0-1v narrowband output for your car.
You will need to cut the signal wire from your narrowband and tap into that.
Old 24 November 2014, 12:51 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
To answer your question, yes you can replace your narrowband with the innovate. No probs at all. The innovate has a configurable analogue output so can mimic the factory narrow band. (After all that's the only reason you would buy an innovate over an AEM for example) The only thing you have to contend with is the resistance of the heater in the oem narrow band, either use the existing sensor for that or a resistor. No holes need cut here. Just the wires
My Zeitronix ZT2 can do this too, I didn't use the feature though. Also, if you can find one for sale the ZT2 is an awesome job.
Old 24 November 2014, 01:07 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

My Zeitronix ZT2 can do this too, I didn't use the feature though. Also, if you can find one for sale the ZT2 is an awesome job.
Saves running an extra sensor for the sake of it, just another expense when it goes wrong.
Plus the wideband will be more accurate, and if your clever you can lean off the closed loop for better fuel economy
Old 24 November 2014, 01:29 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Just reading up on the innovate and all sounds good to me so will be going for that one as an early Xmas prezzi for my car
Sound advice lads cheers for the help
Old 24 November 2014, 01:49 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
Saves running an extra sensor for the sake of it, just another expense when it goes wrong. Plus the wideband will be more accurate, and if your clever you can lean off the closed loop for better fuel economy
I was green to all of this when I bought it to be honest, all I knew was I needed a wideband monitor. I was able to do all the work myself so no expense other than my time really. The ZT2 came up on eBay for £100, brand new with all optional extras
Old 24 November 2014, 04:57 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

I run an Innovate MTX-L and use the simulated narrowband. works really well and as mentioned you can get it to lie to the ECU to save a bit of fuel but not much. It was faultless for 18 months then the sensor died. Replaced with the correct one from bosch and its all good apart from one or 2 glitches, probably down to a bad earth, usually after i have been fiddling about under the bonnet.
Old 24 November 2014, 07:20 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyricht
I run an Innovate MTX-L and use the simulated narrowband. works really well and as mentioned you can get it to lie to the ECU to save a bit of fuel but not much. It was faultless for 18 months then the sensor died. Replaced with the correct one from bosch and its all good apart from one or 2 glitches, probably down to a bad earth, usually after i have been fiddling about under the bonnet.
You feel a bit warmer inside at 15.5:1 though, cruising along