Notices

Jacking Point?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2014, 05:32 AM
scoobypmp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking Point?

I know this has been covered before and I apologise for another noob question, but since going through a jacking point a few weeks back my confidence has taken a big hit when it comes to jacking the car up!!
At the front there's supposedly a jacking plate? Is this slightly rusty looking plate with the 4 bolts in the middle of the picture what I'm looking for:

Is there anywhere else I can jack from and where's the best place for axle stands?

As for the rear I know it's common practise to use the diff, but I can't bring myself to put so much weight on a part of the drivetrain! I used the end of the arm here:

(The bottom curved bit under what looks like an alignment bolt?)

Again, is there anywhere else? I assume the plates just behind the jacking points are best place for stands?

If you have any pics of different locations, that would be awesome!
Old 31 October 2014, 06:46 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't get my front jack anywhere close to that front jacking point, but have used the diff at the back a tonne of times with no adverse effects.
Old 31 October 2014, 09:26 AM
scoobypmp
Scooby Regular

Where do you jack the front?
Old 31 October 2014, 09:39 AM
S744hdv
Scooby Regular

What jack you using?
I've jacked the front of my car up on that plate.
Used a trolley jack bought from halfords.
There's a groove in the sills both sides,for you to fit the axle stands under.
Old 31 October 2014, 12:06 PM
scoobypmp
Scooby Regular

This one:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-ctj2qlp-2-tonne-quick-lift-low-profile?da=1&TC=SRC-trolley%20jack

Is the groove in the sills the same place as jacking points?
Old 31 October 2014, 12:25 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...XrvZ7ahOFBE2Og .I use the under side of this subframe to jack up front that's if you have one and place axle stands under .The metal has not deformed or bent with jacking up of axle stands underneath
Rear wise under diff to jack up .Axle stands under the plates that hold diff support bars to body inside of sill the metal has not deformed or bent with a axle stand sitting under there or under trailing link close to body fixing that go from body to axle hub.

If what I did in this post to get my car of the ground did not work or was not health and safety wise .I would be not going under to do oil changes ,under seal etc .

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...L2sC29PX5BNcX0 .This is were I place axle stands or what I mention above under trailing arm close to bush that is fixed to body .

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...UVIn77GIVZndme .I go further forward for axle stand and jacking up

Last edited by DIPSY; 31 October 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 31 October 2014, 01:25 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Front jacking plate is there for a reason so I would use that. If you can't get to it then drive onto some pieces of wood or something to get a inch more height.

Rear should be rear diff. It's mounted pretty solid and the driveshafts and prop shaft all move/pivot so are not under any strain.

As for axle stands there are no recomended places other then the four sill jacking points. Problem is if you don't have the correct adaptor they will crush the lip of the jacking point.

I would NOT use those triangle plates at the rear. They are very thin and the bolts at the edges are only little M8's. That area bends really easy and is not designed the hold the weight. I would not use the rear subframe edges either. It's just 2mm or so steel on an edge.... if it suddenly folds your potentially dead.

So what's the answer? I honestly don't know and nobody else seems to either. Probably the safest bet for the rear is on the inner join of the lateral links. On the front maybe near the wishbone joining the body? The metal and bolts are pretty heft there.
Old 31 October 2014, 02:04 PM
scoobypmp
Scooby Regular

Thanks peeps, hopefully I'll get the car up in the air soon then!
When jacking from the diff, do you use a piece of wood to spread the load? My jack has a rubber pad in the head, I'm assuming this'll do the job just fine?

FMJ, are you talking about the same triangle plates that Dipsy is using at the rear?

Last edited by scoobypmp; 31 October 2014 at 02:10 PM.