Notices

What effect will alloy arms and STI wheels have on my wagon's geo?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2014, 09:58 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What effect will alloy arms and STI wheels have on my wagon's geo?

Just curious really. I've read the arms give more castor etc. but will they force the wheels too far out or anything? I've got STI wheels going on to cover the Brembos I've fitted, so they are already wider than the WRX items.

Will I end up with the wheels having too much camber or something? Or will it all fit nicely?
Old 30 October 2014, 10:19 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Think Classic alloy arms are a better / perfect fit.
Old 30 October 2014, 10:55 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I have seen that said on some of the American sites. I already have the arms though and have seen people have fitted them on their wagons, but seen very little about how they affect the geo etc. Especially combined with STI wheels.
Old 31 October 2014, 02:07 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

What alloy arms you will be using GC(classic) or New age(GD) ?

Please read that

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1792421

We are run classic(GC8) alloy arms on our wagon,just due our old steel one has been corroded

Hope this help

Thank,Jura
Old 31 October 2014, 08:13 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I have bought GD arms....

That thread is a bit confusing because it sounds like one guy is running then fine?

They also say Wagon shocks are different to Saloon shocks, but everyone on here told me they are not. What a head scrambler!
Old 31 October 2014, 08:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

What alloy arms you will be using GC(classic) or New age(GD) ?

Please read that

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1792421

We are run classic(GC8) alloy arms on our wagon,just due our old steel one has been corroded

Hope this help

Thank,Jura
Is that a straight swap jura or are any other parts needed?
Old 31 October 2014, 09:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay

That thread is a bit confusing because it sounds like one guy is running then fine?

They also say Wagon shocks are different to Saloon shocks, but everyone on here told me they are not. What a head scrambler!
The spring rates are different on the rear, but some say it doesn't matter as there is only about 20kg difference, but in my experience I'd say it's better to go for wagon specific rear springs because they don't have a great load carrying capacity as standard, I can bottom mine out with 4 adults in the car.
Old 31 October 2014, 11:19 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Christ. So I will still have to spend even more money or stick with my 100k springs then....
Old 31 October 2014, 12:42 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From experience my wagon had a slightly saggy rear end when it used to have sti spec c springs. Iirc tein made a wagon specific spring or you could try apex springs for a higher spring rate.
Old 31 October 2014, 12:46 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing worse than a saggy rear end lol
Old 31 October 2014, 01:06 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I'm very confused right now, as you can all probably tell.

SO:

I'm about to pay one of the breakers for a set of STI shocks and springs from a Bug Eye STI saloon. Aside from the springs, will the shocks fit fine? I've again read conflicting things. I saw a post saying that you lose some of the negative camber up front with saloon shocks on a wagon. If that's the case, saloon shocks paired with the saloon alloy arms will put that right, right??
Old 31 October 2014, 04:12 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Are these springs worth a go?

http://camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2714p303...i_2000_To_2002
Old 31 October 2014, 04:15 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Jay

Yes he running them fine and most of people running them fine,but when you fit later GD(new age) 04-06 STI alloy arms you will gain on castor

But still you will need something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-20216FA000-Control-Arm-Ball-Joint-BOSS-TRANSVERSE-LINK-Impreza-WRX-STI-/381020464577?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b696e5c1&vxp=mtr
Or you can add Whiteline RCA kit where everything is there

Shocks looks like they're same,you can fit on wagon shocks sedan springs without the issue,many people run sedan shocks on wagon without the issue and they're been fine

Thanks,Jura

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Is that a straight swap jura or are any other parts needed?
Hi Ditch

Yes straight swap,but in later stages we are added Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura

I'm very confused right now, as you can all probably tell.

SO:

I'm about to pay one of the breakers for a set of STI shocks and springs from a Bug Eye STI saloon. Aside from the springs, will the shocks fit fine? I've again read conflicting things. I saw a post saying that you lose some of the negative camber up front with saloon shocks on a wagon. If that's the case, saloon shocks paired with the saloon alloy arms will put that right, right??
Hi Jay

Again,you will be OK to run STI shocks on yours and yes shocks will fit fine.Yes you will loose negative camber,but you can gain on the castor,if camber is problem,then I would add camber bolts which will help you with getting more camber from front,same if you will fit coilovers on the wagon,you will loose camber on front,due this you will need to run camber bolts,we are run without the camber bolts only maximum -1.4 and with camber bolts I think maximum we can run -2.5"+

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 31 October 2014, 04:53 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jura, once again you come to the rescue with your knowledge!

When you mention getting more castor, does that mean the wheel would not sit in th emiddle of the wheel arch anymore? I'm not sure I would like it to be further forward.

I just had a thought actually; the shocks and springs I am getting are from a Bug Eye STI. Did they actually make different rear shocks or springs for the Bug Eye Wagon STI? Or did they in actual fact use the same setup as the saloons from factory? And with STI springs being stiffer than WRX ones, won't that mean they are actually fine?

Or am I grasping at straws?

Last edited by Jay Cartay; 31 October 2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 31 October 2014, 05:14 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jura, once again you come to the rescue with your knowledge!

When you mention getting more castor, does that mean the wheel would not sit in th emiddle of the wheel arch anymore? I'm not sure I would like it to be further forward.

I just had a thought actually; the shocks and springs I am getting are from a Bug Eye STI. Did they actually make different rear shocks or springs for the Bug Eye Wagon STI? Or did they in actual fact use the same setup as the saloons from factory? And with STI springs being stiffer than WRX ones, won't that mean they are actually fine?

Or am I grasping at straws?
Hi Jay

Many people prefer to run more castor on their cars,we are run small amount of the caster

Bug STI shocks and springs should be great upgrade on yours,I think they're been bit different in valving and they're been made for wagon,they're slightly different

STI springs are better than WRX that's for sure and you should have nice setup for day to day driving,you still can later on upgrade them to different one,you will see there

Please have look on the thread about the castor/caster

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums...tments-caster/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle
You don't want to run excessive caster on yours car,we are not run excessive caster and we are been fine

Thanks,Jura
Old 01 November 2014, 10:32 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Thanks man. I'm just worried more castor will mean the wheel doesn't look perfectly centered.

I am going to run the STI springs and shocks as they are I think and just see how it all goes, then make a decision from there.
Old 06 November 2014, 12:52 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Think I might get rid of these New Age saloon alloy arms and get some classic alloy arms like you Jura. Worried now that running the New Age arms with those STI shocks I am getting will really screw up the Geo.
Old 06 November 2014, 01:40 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Ditch

Yes straight swap,but in later stages we are added Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Why did you fit an RCA, is that because you went really low on coilovers?

I am getting a set of the PCA dynamics / Prodrive wagon specific springs for mine as I really don't fancy coilovers for my use, I was thinking to go with the classic alloy arms along with solid drop links and ALK or maybe top mounts for more castor, also roll bars 22 front and 24 rear, I already have camber bolts all round and rear drop links.

Just wondering what you think and if there is anything else you'd recommend.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP but it is kind of on topic.
Old 06 November 2014, 07:01 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

I take it you mean aluminium front wishbones by "alloy arms?"
What models had these?
Old 06 November 2014, 07:45 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I am getting a set of the PCA dynamics / Prodrive wagon specific springs for mine as I really don't fancy coilovers for my use, I was thinking to go with the classic alloy arms along with solid drop links and ALK or maybe top mounts for more castor, also roll bars 22 front and 24 rear, I already have camber bolts all round and rear drop links.

It's fine Ditch, we Wagon owners have to stick together!

The classic front arms require hardened washers to fit properly. I'm actually wondering whether to get some of those arms now. My dilemma really, is that the shocks will reduce camber. The arms will increase. So will they cancel each other out then? Or will it end up with everything cobbled together at funny angles?

Then of course, you've got a front track which is wider than the rear. I've been advised that this is fine and will aid handling, but it just *feels* very wrong to me.
Old 07 November 2014, 09:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Think I might get rid of these New Age saloon alloy arms and get some classic alloy arms like you Jura. Worried now that running the New Age arms with those STI shocks I am getting will really screw up the Geo.
Hi Jay

Really depends on you,we are went with Classic,because Neil have them and we are need them,because our has been steel and has been rotten,we are replaced them before Subaru has have recall on this

You shouldn't screw up the geo,because you will need to do geo after doing this and geo will be redone to new spec and I would start with Prodrive settings

Thanks,Jura

Hi Ditch

Yes we are been on coilovers and car has been very lowered and steering has been heavier than we are expected and this RCA kit transformed the car and driving has been just pleasure nothing more

Yes classic alloy arms are cheaper and can be bought for reasonable money

Coilovers I wouldn't choose on daily car,for track car or car which doing track days then yes I would choose,but this depends on coilovers as every coilovers are not same and some are better like other

Solid droplinks,yes this is good upgrade path,ARB's again depends,we are went with Eibach set and yes camber bolts is only good to have

Adjustable top mounts not sure if I would go with them,what castor/caster are you running right now?

And explanation of the RCA

If car is really lowered then I would go with RCA kit,we are went with them and really this has been great investment

If I would choose again ALK,I wouldn't fit this again,its has not worked as we are expected and really this hasn't bring us any benefit

Hope this help there

Thanks,Jura

It's fine Ditch, we Wagon owners have to stick together!

The classic front arms require hardened washers to fit properly. I'm actually wondering whether to get some of those arms now. My dilemma really, is that the shocks will reduce camber. The arms will increase. So will they cancel each other out then? Or will it end up with everything cobbled together at funny angles?

Then of course, you've got a front track which is wider than the rear. I've been advised that this is fine and will aid handling, but it just *feels* very wrong to me.
Hi Jay

Again,I wouldn't be worried with this and you should be OK,we are went with classic alloy arms and we are been happy

Camber is important on any car if its like fast road or track car,shocks/coilovers which are destined for saloon or sedan,will reduce on wagon camber at front and back you should have same camber or maybe bit more

Thanks,Jura
Old 07 November 2014, 09:18 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
I take it you mean aluminium front wishbones by "alloy arms?"
What models had these?
Yes alloys arms,we are mean aluminium front wishbones

According to bellow link all WRX,STI or New age,but I think too some classic has run steel arms/wishbones,has been equipped with steel wishbones,due this please check if you are running steel arms/wishbones I would contact Subaru

Link to recall

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...bone+corrosion

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 13 November 2014, 11:23 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Right, I checked with my local dealer and the car was checked under the recall in 2012, so I won't be getting new arms from Subaru

Right, I need to make a final decision on this. The saloon shocks are for sale and I am going to buy some that are for a Wagon. I don't want to start cobbling random bits together and hoping it all works out.

I am STILL stuck on these front arms though.

I have read that you need spacers/hardened washers to run the classic arms on a New Age (where you bolt them to the subframe). I am sure I can find some somewhere if I can find out the width needed. But will I still get good fast road geometry if I use the classic arms and Wagon shocks?

Is there any actual benefit to using the GD arms? Does it gain anything for me that I can't get with the classics? Do I need to widen the rear track if I run GD front arms?

I do feel very strongly now that classic arms are the way to go. I just want to be completely sure before I spend even more money!