Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Does anyone have a Boost Graph example for a Leaking BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2016, 10:55 AM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Does anyone have a Boost Graph example for a Leaking BOV?

I've been reading a bit about aftermarket BOVs. The 'general' consensus is that the stock unit does not need to be replaced for most applications, unless:

a) it is faulty/leaking,
b) you specifically want the whoosh sound when changing gears with a VTA/Hybrid

I'm curious to see, does anyone have a boost graph from a leaking BOV, or some before and after graphs of fitment of an aftermarket unit?

Cheers!
Old 31 December 2016, 12:25 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

last time I checked one specifically i just had 2 boost gauges temporarily hooked up. One at the compressor nipple and one at the manifold - then just drive around and gradually increase the boost - if you find there's a big difference between gauges (other than the expected pressure drop) then something is a miss. Any other wonky ones have shown up on a boost leak/smoke tester.

Another way to test would be blank it off for a few runs and compare boost readings before/after - if there's a discrepency and it's been the only thing changed then very likely it's faulty.
Old 31 December 2016, 06:01 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Good shout... I'll knock up a blanking plate from some scrap steel and give it a whirl!
Old 02 January 2017, 11:21 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Dont even need to go as far as scrap steel. A piece of tin cut to shape and fitted between IC and BOV will work and everything else/pipework just remains as
Old 07 January 2017, 10:56 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

I made a plate and did some 4th gear pulls tonight, before and after results were pretty much the same, bar the normal run-to-run slight variation. At least it puts that one to bed and it didn't cost me anything!