Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Consistant Pops n bangs on ESL ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2016, 03:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Consistant Pops n bangs on ESL ?

Discussed before but cant find the thread, so, at lunch, a Nice Focus RS went passed, sounding lurvly and when it came to a stop, blipped the throttle gently and a nice pop n bang was exiting the nice exhaust, nice was my thought

So, why cant i achieve consistant pops n bangs ?

ive tried rich AFR`s in the fuel cells, retarded timing in low load cells as in 0 in all cells, none give any difference in pops n bangs

Now, all i can summise is as its in the realms of closed loop the 02 sensor is correcting any fuel increase i add in, within the fuel trims naturally and pops n bangs below 3k are a thing of desire ?

I do get occasional pops n bangs if i get the sequence just right but again, these usually occur around or above 3k and never one after another

i even wrapped my entire exhaust system ha
Old 16 November 2016, 04:56 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you got reinjection set high enough as otherwise it'll cut fuel entirely until the revs drop right down low.

It's something I never managed to get to work either - although I was only trying it as a 'play' thing - I found that it didn't drive very nicely with the reinjection set too high as you loose engine braking.

If you monitor the timing in the live log, you'll see that when you take your foot off the throttle, it stops trying to set the timing according to whatever is set in the highlighted cell of the ignition map. It defaults to some other value. I think there must be other configuration tables that aren't exposed in the ESL software which covers a lot of 'off throttle' behavior like this.
Old 16 November 2016, 05:38 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The mapper had tried to map in pops and bangs but iirc all it did was make the car drive crap like Ben says,losing engine braking.
I didn't really notice if the pops and bangs worked as I change the map as soon as I got the car due to an unsafe map.
Re-injection was set @3000-3500rpm and timing around 25(I think) but AFR was 14.7.
I have the map saved so I can post some screen shots or even email the map over to you to take a look if you want?
I now have a switch for ALS for fireworks but i know that's still not available for your car

Have you tried putting in negative timing in those low cells? Is this even possible with ESL?
Old 16 November 2016, 05:58 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Same results as you guys then , yeah I've set reinjection to all sorts, even 6500 but like you say , just makes for no engine braking with no pops .

I have noticed timing doesn't go to the low values as well , I set it to 0 yet around 12 was what it wen to in the logs , weird .

Not tried negative timing

Wish motorsports package was available lol
Old 16 November 2016, 06:04 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I know with your foot off that the timing goes back to 12 but what happens when you rest your foot on the loud pedal?
I don't think there is anything in my ALS tables that would be any good for you to look at,but can post up them if you want?

Last edited by ossett2k2; 16 November 2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 16 November 2016, 06:46 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

I remember Andy saying something on the course about it not being possible to set negative timing values - well, it might be possible in the UI, but the ECU will ignore it.
Old 16 November 2016, 07:35 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

If you rest your foot on the throttle it just moves up the table as the load has increased etc so it then reads the timing in load cells 5 etc rather than 4 or below but even then if these tables are 0 timing it makes no pops etc

I think the only way you get pops etc is if you accelerate , throttle off at higher revs than 4K then you may get them on over run . I like them between gear changes but alas , I do get them but never know when , bit like a packet of revels and the coffee flavoured one, you will get it but usually at the end ha
Old 16 November 2016, 07:56 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get pops and bangs on the over run, not even at high RPM, and on gear changes.
Old 16 November 2016, 07:58 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by The Rig
Wish motorsports package was available lol
Echo that sentiment, however, you'll lose servo assisted brakes with the ALS.
Old 16 November 2016, 08:04 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Echo that sentiment, however, you'll lose servo assisted brakes with the ALS.
Yes Micky but you get flames FLAMES I tell you
Mmmmm bang bang!!
Old 16 November 2016, 08:07 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Yes Micky but you get flames FLAMES I tell you
Mmmmm bang bang!!
Mine probably spits flames, it did the last time it was on the rollers, but, I'm never driving behind it to find out.
Old 16 November 2016, 08:08 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

I get pops and bangs on the over run, not even at high RPM, and on gear changes.

Don't rub it in lol

I even got desperate and contemplated one of those Bee Rev R thingies !!!!!!
Old 16 November 2016, 08:17 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Old post, I believe you retain your servo assisted brakes when fitted.

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...-anti-lag.html
Old 16 November 2016, 08:36 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Mine probably spits flames, it did the last time it was on the rollers, but, I'm never driving behind it to find out.
I only use it when someone's up my tailpipe,they soon back off
Old 16 November 2016, 08:46 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

That's why I want ALS, rather than what happens of it's own accord. Also to annoy my neighbours even more.
Old 16 November 2016, 09:10 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

It's a shame I can't stop the 02 working while I'm chilling around town etc then enable it once I start going over 4K , maybe then a really rich fuel table low down would bring on the pops lol
Old 16 November 2016, 09:43 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Yeh it is strange why you can disable closed loop fueling in the early ESL
Old 16 November 2016, 10:05 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
It's a shame I can't stop the 02 working while I'm chilling around town etc then enable it once I start going over 4K , maybe then a really rich fuel table low down would bring on the pops lol
Do you think it's possible to wire in a switch that cuts power to the O2 sensor?
Old 16 November 2016, 10:22 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

I reckon you could quite easily use an Arduino to simulate a narrowband signal that's showing a lean reading at certain RPM ranges, therefore fooling the ECU into pumping more fuel in. After all, it's only a sine wave signal oscillating around 0.45v.

Sine wave Arduino example can be found here.

Last edited by ben.harris; 16 November 2016 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added picture and tutorial link.
Old 16 November 2016, 10:27 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Hmmm interesting , kinda losing me a bit as getting technical lol , hate electrics , mechanical no problem tho lol .
Old 16 November 2016, 10:45 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Cracking idea Ben.
You should be able to use your innovate AFR gauge to simulate narrowband and use the settings in the software to fool the ecu?
Are you using the LC-2?
Old 16 November 2016, 11:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Im using the Innovate MTX-L

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

will google Bens idea to try and get my head around it lol

cheers guys
Old 17 November 2016, 12:20 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i think the standard o2 sensor will die quickly if you cut the power to it so that idea is probably out the window.

Are you MAF or speed density and what AFR's have you tried, some cars like 12's some like 10's, generally light on fuel gives more sound and high on fuel gives flames but less noise. 0 degrees timing if you can get the ECU to apply it should do rightly.

The overrun fuelling will depend on MAF readings (or speed density VE/fuel table value) so depending on your setup a little more value in the overrun areas should help get a little extra fuel in the mix. Failing that back to playing with the injector scale value but of course that leaves you having to double check your starting/cruising/boost AFR's again

There is definitely a trick to resting your foot lightly enough on the pedal to get it off "idle" coasting down but only just enough to hit say 5 engine load. If you find you can only get 6 or 7 engine load then you might have to rescale the timing table so that 7 is the lowest value and 8 returns to normal timing for nudging through traffic.
Old 17 November 2016, 12:50 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

That's true about the 02 , well remembered bud

I'm MAF now , ive tried 8 ,10,12 AFRs at load points , 4, 7 and even changed load point 4 to 1 as off throttle that's what I was hitting , none made any difference , timing at 0 also . Just makes for a crap running car lol

I've had injector scale at 0.85 which was rich , made AFRs about 1 out , still no major pops etc

Even with AFRs rich the fuel trims compensate and correct so your just making for a messy looking fuel trim table with no benefit
Old 17 November 2016, 01:00 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Not sure if he has anti lag or not ? but that's what I'm after

Old 17 November 2016, 01:26 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I was thinking more of cutting the signal to the o2 sensor with a switch and not the voltage,is that not how turning the closed loop off on my ESL works?

The video you posted sounds like antilag,is pretty much how mine sounds anyway.
I'm not sure if pops&bangs are as aggressive,although I've not heard one with those mapped in so can't say for sure.
Old 17 November 2016, 09:06 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Yeah I thought that type of popping was optimistic lol

Will have to put up with the excitement of will it / wont it for now ha
Old 17 November 2016, 09:57 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

handy thing with the newage cars is you can adjust the idle timing value so having even 0 degrees in idle timing (above speed threshold) and even a little bit of fuel from overrun gives a fair amount of sound - but only with the right exhaust. Massive difference in sound comparing the same timing/fuel settings on say Nur Spec vs prodrive exhaust or one of those ebay no brand 3" jobbies with 4 resonators in it.

When you try adjusting the low load timing (say 6000-3000 rpm) to 0 degrees and set fuel to say 12:1 - if you lightly tap /touch/feather the throttle on deceleration are you able to log what the timing and AFR does? It should be doable to have a very very light load area with the timing to make sound effects then as soon as you get the full weight of your foot on the pedal the load increases and off you go. On a newage car this is around 0.2 g/rev just the very first column on the timing / fuel table.
Old 17 November 2016, 12:00 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

This is the problem tho, no matter what AFR i put into the fuel cells at low load, the fuel trims just compensates and erradicates the changes.

When i last put say 10 in the low load cells, my fuel trims went to like 80 as it was taking out the fuel i was adding in to get back to stoich hence no pops (im guessing)

i seem to get more pops with more timing and less fuel ???

For instance, as i say, i do get the occasional loud pop on gear change, great, but id like them to be more consitant , currently i run in the 40`s timing wise low load from 2800 onwards and pretty lean AFR`s and no re-injection until 1200 rpm , and get occasional pop, when i run 0 timing and rich AFR`s and reinjection at say 4000, hardly ever a pop

Bloody weird it is lol

The only way i get a proper rich mixture is if i increase the MAF calibration at low loads , i could increase some more ( i increased the readings to about 2.7v as i was having lean issues) and it cured the issue , if i went more i would get a rich mixture for sure ha !

Last edited by The Rig; 17 November 2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 17 November 2016, 06:03 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Rather than mess with fuelling which doesnt seem to add alot to the equation , to mine anyway, i thought about maybe retarding the timing in more than 1 load cell, as from looking at previous logs, you dont always get to minimum engine load that quickly

not applied it yet just food for thought whilst thinking out loud ??