Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

WRX 2.5 Turbo 2007 Hawkeye ECU Remap

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2015, 05:33 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

you could check out the romraider list of e-tuners who will basically map your car remotely. This can be a useful learning tool as well as you can see the revisions of the map and compare them to each other with logfiles to see what changed. There's a UK based one too so your not fighting with timezones

http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/P...ionalTuners_12
Old 14 September 2015, 07:39 PM
Sambob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bludgod
you could check out the romraider list of e-tuners who will basically map your car remotely. This can be a useful learning tool as well as you can see the revisions of the map and compare them to each other with logfiles to see what changed. There's a UK based one too so your not fighting with timezones

http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/P...ionalTuners_12
Ok, nice 1!
Old 29 September 2015, 09:36 AM
south
Scooby Newbie

I think if you're running a car with the fuel, tax and insurance costs of an Impreza you're absolutely crazy to try and map the car yourself for the sake of saving £300. Fair enough if you actually want to learn how to do it but it sounds more like resenting paying that. FYI I've just had mine done for £200 cash which I was more than happy with. Time is money and the amount of time invested (as a freelancer) in learning to do it myself and purchasing the cable would have been well over £200 and I definitely wouldn't have done as good a job.
Old 29 September 2015, 09:54 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by south
I think if you're running a car with the fuel, tax and insurance costs of an Impreza you're absolutely crazy to try and map the car yourself for the sake of saving £300. Fair enough if you actually want to learn how to do it but it sounds more like resenting paying that. FYI I've just had mine done for £200 cash which I was more than happy with. Time is money and the amount of time invested (as a freelancer) in learning to do it myself and purchasing the cable would have been well over £200 and I definitely wouldn't have done as good a job.
£200 for a map sounds too cheap to me.
Old 29 September 2015, 10:02 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

£200 isn't too bad for an open source tune - it depends on the car as well if the car is basically stock or just a downpipe then it's a quick healthcheck and a mostly off the shelf/out of the archive map file to suit your chosen fuel with a tweak on the road to make sure all is running as it should.

If it's just a stage 1 flash I wouldn't even charge that much!
Old 29 September 2015, 10:12 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

o that simple is it,,,,,,,,,,
Old 29 September 2015, 10:16 AM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the cable and speak nicely to Bludog, cant go wrong.

My cars million times better since I did.
Old 29 September 2015, 10:22 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
simple only because i've been at it for years - the process/theory is handy enough, but yeh you can really f**k your engine up too if you get it wrong
Old 29 September 2015, 10:51 AM
south
Scooby Newbie

Turboback exhaust with a recently rebuilt engine, open source by an ex wrc technician. Runs like a dream. Point still stands about saving money.
Old 29 September 2015, 07:03 PM
Sambob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by south
Yes, I am a bit crazy, but that's not the issue here.

Fuel - I get about 18 MPG around town, this isn't bad for a sports car, our Zafira GSi does 20 MPG. If anything a remap will with help this.

Tax - £475 last year if I remember rightly. Will be more this year. What can I say?

Insurance - £550 fully comp for my Mrs and I for the year. We're in our early 30's live in a good neighbourhood, have 12 years no claims (although only around 7 of them actually make any difference) so we are low risk drivers.

It's not so much about resenting to pay £300+ I just do not think it is worth this money for the small gain in BHP that I am after. I am somewhat interested in learning to do it myself as I am reasonably technical and may it interest me should I want to fiddle with my current wrx or any future imprezas.

Whether I actually do it or not is another matter as I may not get time.... certainly not before Christmas as we have 4 kids, my nephew lives with us, I have a full time job and my wife and I run a small online business.

Too much info? We also have 3 cats, I am balding ever so slightly and my nephew looks likes Justin Beiber.
Old 29 September 2015, 07:07 PM
Sambob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
that's a single cat, mine still has both
Old 27 November 2015, 07:36 PM
ricodjs
Scooby Regular

Default k&n

Originally Posted by Sambob
which air filter mate? induction k&n or just straight replacement?
Apologies Sambob, been a trifle busy...eating trifle

It's a straightforward panel filter replacement, NOT induction.
I was a bit surprised how much Bob managed to get me with that setup.
Pleasantly surprised mind
Hope your mapping exploits are safely coming along