Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Esl upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2015, 01:11 PM
Iqy7861
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esl upgrade

Hi guys I'm after an ESL for My97 uk turbo, got an Apexi Fc at the moment, Anyone recomend someone that supplies and fit or has anyone got one for sale (3 plug ecu).
Regards
Old 23 August 2015, 02:07 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Try Duncan at http://www.racedynamix.co.uk/remap/s...tions-limited/

He's well priced, and i've heard nothing but good comments about him.
Old 23 August 2015, 08:26 PM
Iqy7861
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, I'll send him a message

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Try Duncan at http://www.racedynamix.co.uk/remap/s...tions-limited/

He's well priced, and i've heard nothing but good comments about him.
Old 23 August 2015, 08:39 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stick with the apexi.....
Old 23 August 2015, 09:29 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

JGlanza, your advice is exceptionally poor.

http://www.enduringsolutions.com/esl-vs-apexi-pfc/
Old 24 August 2015, 07:36 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

No its not, just because you peddle the ESL doesnt make it "poor" advice....

Your cost comparison is based on buying new v new, the OP already has an Apexi fitted by the sounds of it, and changing the ECU will then end up costing him more when the one he has does the job perfectly....

So by the time he has a "full kit" its £676 for a 2nd map, some pops and bangs (No "REAL" ALS that builds positive boost as it only jacka the IACV, which any mapper could put it on the apexi) and ditching the MAF sensor.

Alot of expense for what it is, considering his ECU does everything perfectly capably as it is.

Most peoples cars do not need "ALS" its just for show, so get that mapped in for £100 no need a a £600 ECU... 2nd map, again, not needed, nice but not a requirement. The only benefit is the MAP sensor, which if you are clever looks like it can be changed to map anyway...
Old 31 August 2015, 09:59 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

As I've said, you advice is spectacularly poor and it is obvious you have no experience of tuning with either system.

Of course the comparison is like for like, that's what makes it a valid comparison.

You obviously have no understanding of an antilag system. Here are some of ESLs motorsport parameters, none of which the Apexi has:

So tell me, how would you implement ALS on the Apexi without seperate switchable tables for Fuel cut, late spark, retard, enrichment and ICV override?

You then go on about "only jacka the IACV" obviously without realising that is the only actuator on a classic the ECU has control of to increase airflow. You can run any method of throttle jacking you like, and as the ESL system has 3D tables you can control as much boost as you can flow air.

The fact is you can sell a secondhand Apexi and AVCR for more than a new ESL ECU and get twin maps, MAFless load, 3D boost control, active knock control, ALS, LC, TC, Flatshift, Diagnostics, closed loop idle and fuel, factory compensations, etc etc etc.

You then witter on about MAP sensors. Am I right in thinking you think the Apexi can be run speed density on a classic Subaru? Because, if so, you are completely wrong again.

You are a mine of misinformation. I really hope no one listens to you as they will be significantly worse off.
Old 01 September 2015, 01:55 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Well said Andy.
I have had the pleasure of using ESL and can highly recommend it.
It's worth the money just to be able to data log and look at every Parameter even if it's just to learn about how the engine is running in any given circumstance

Oh and the motorsports Features work amazingly well!

Last edited by ossett2k2; 01 September 2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01 September 2015, 06:03 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Well said Andy. I have had the pleasure of using ESL and can highly recommend it. It's worth the money just to be able to data log and look at every Parameter even if it's just to learn about how the engine is running in any given circumstance Oh and the motorsports Features work amazingly well!
+1 from me as well, and the support given by ESL is 100%.
Old 01 September 2015, 11:33 AM
Iqy7861
Scooby Regular

Sorry for not being active on this thread guys, been away, I've sent Duncan a message just waiting to be booked in, Aporeciate everyone's advice.

Originally Posted by piehole1983
+1 from me as well, and the support given by ESL is 100%.
Old 01 September 2015, 09:41 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

When I bought my v3 type r I also bought the apexi and to be fair I would have been very happy with it having had it on my last 98 wrx. I sold it after reading up on the ESL. I did this to have 2 maps, better boost control and the knock control that works very well imo. Im still running on a maf but if this ever becomes a problem I can remap (myself) to mafless.

I also paid for the motor sport options so it cost another £100. I think the cost is low enough to never have to worry about resale. I did buy a spare 6s just in case I want to revert back to standard, which cost me £26 delivered.

Ive also received quality support from Andy over the last year or so.

Has anyone stated anything feature on the apexi that is better than esl, other than the controller?
Old 02 September 2015, 10:58 AM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in this, but can someone clarify that the ESL is a new circuit board that replaces the one in the original ECU.
Old 02 September 2015, 11:24 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by STI5300
I'm interested in this, but can someone clarify that the ESL is a new circuit board that replaces the one in the original ECU.
ESL is an additional board that fixes onto the original board.
Old 02 September 2015, 11:26 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
As I've said, you advice is spectacularly poor and it is obvious you have no experience of tuning with either system.

Of course the comparison is like for like, that's what makes it a valid comparison.

You obviously have no understanding of an antilag system. Here are some of ESLs motorsport parameters, none of which the Apexi has:

So tell me, how would you implement ALS on the Apexi without seperate switchable tables for Fuel cut, late spark, retard, enrichment and ICV override?

You then go on about "only jacka the IACV" obviously without realising that is the only actuator on a classic the ECU has control of to increase airflow. You can run any method of throttle jacking you like, and as the ESL system has 3D tables you can control as much boost as you can flow air.

The fact is you can sell a secondhand Apexi and AVCR for more than a new ESL ECU and get twin maps, MAFless load, 3D boost control, active knock control, ALS, LC, TC, Flatshift, Diagnostics, closed loop idle and fuel, factory compensations, etc etc etc.

You then witter on about MAP sensors. Am I right in thinking you think the Apexi can be run speed density on a classic Subaru? Because, if so, you are completely wrong again.

You are a mine of misinformation. I really hope no one listens to you as they will be significantly worse off.

I think Glanza's head is still spinning as he hasn't replied
I imagine he's frantically searching Google for an intelligent reply
Old 02 September 2015, 08:34 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Nope, I did type a reply, but cant be arsed seeing as the "expert" knows it all.....

Apexi ECUS can run on speed density or MAF, if you know how

Had one in my Glanza doing exactly that. He wont accept anything any one else says as it is all about the money, of course his product is best, much the same as it is probably better than a Syvecs, motec etc.... Yawn.
Old 02 September 2015, 10:20 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Nope, I did type a reply, but cant be arsed seeing as the "expert" knows it all.....

Apexi ECUS can run on speed density or MAF, if you know how

Had one in my Glanza doing exactly that. He wont accept anything any one else says as it is all about the money, of course his product is best, much the same as it is probably better than a Syvecs, motec etc.... Yawn.
If you knew Andy on a personal level then you would know it's certainly not "all about the money".
He is one of the nicest, most genuine and knowledgable chaps ive had the pleasure of meeting through the Impreza community.

You really are fighting a losing battle here as Andy does know what he's talking about.
Old 03 September 2015, 07:45 AM
Iqy7861
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys been quoted £800 by Duncan to supply and fit ESL with the added Motorsport function, does that seem to the going rate? seems quite a lot of money, thought was £575 as advertised on his website, I've got a Subaru a impreza Turbo 1997 V4,
Old 03 September 2015, 08:40 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems a fair price for a decent mapper and an awesome piece of kit.
Does he advertise £575+vat? Are you going on the dyno,if so there is a small cost for that.
Oh and the Motorsport pack is well worth the money
Just to add.. If you're getting the full package and want to use all the features then you will want a some switches installed,a switch for antilag and one for the clutch if you want to use flat foot shifting. Maybe this is all in with the £800

Last edited by ossett2k2; 03 September 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03 September 2015, 10:16 AM
Iqy7861
Scooby Regular

On his website its £575 doesn't mention vat or anything, says supply fit and mapped, he quoted me £800 all in, I'll send him a message to confirm what's included etc, Thanks mate 👍

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Seems a fair price for a decent mapper and an awesome piece of kit.
Does he advertise £575+vat? Are you going on the dyno,if so there is a small cost for that.
Oh and the Motorsport pack is well worth the money
Just to add.. If you're getting the full package and want to use all the features then you will want a some switches installed,a switch for antilag and one for the clutch if you want to use flat foot shifting. Maybe this is all in with the £800
Old 03 September 2015, 11:16 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Remember that the motorsports pack is an additional £100. So the board itself with motorsports would be roughly £470 including vat if my maths is right.
Old 05 September 2015, 11:22 AM
Iqy7861
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate.

QUOTE=MattyB1983;11731798]Remember that the motorsports pack is an additional £100. So the board itself with motorsports would be roughly £470 including vat if my maths is right.[/QUOTE]
Old 05 September 2015, 01:20 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

If your going on a rolling road that extra £80, if he maps it on the road you don't pay for rolling road.
Old 06 September 2015, 09:50 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
If you knew Andy on a personal level then you would know it's certainly not "all about the money". He is one of the nicest, most genuine and knowledgable chaps ive had the pleasure of meeting through the Impreza community. You really are fighting a losing battle here as Andy does know what he's talking about.
I've not met Andy in person but I've spoken to him on the phone and sent hundreds of emails, top man with a genuine interest in what he's doing.
Old 21 August 2016, 06:04 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
If you knew Andy on a personal level then you would know it's certainly not "all about the money".
He is one of the nicest, most genuine and knowledgable chaps ive had the pleasure of meeting through the Impreza community.

You really are fighting a losing battle here as Andy does know what he's talking about.
I'm going to bring this back from the dead......

He obviously doesn't know that much....

Old 21 August 2016, 07:13 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

That's the wrong Andy
Old 21 August 2016, 07:23 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
That's the wrong Andy
What? I think you mis understand, Andy F has confirmed what I was saying about using a map sensor on Apexi PFC
Old 21 August 2016, 07:29 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Sorry, yes. My bad!
Old 21 August 2016, 08:08 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Years ago I remember the apexi fc using one of Andrew Carrs little boxes to allow it to run mafless. Neither Apexi or esl can run mafless without a few modifications, either a maf simulator for the apexi or a simple bit of wiring with the ESL. I would point our that the ESL was designed to run mafless where the standard apexi wasn't.

What I don't understand is why Andy Stevens and ESL get all this crap and abuse about the product.
Old 21 August 2016, 08:13 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I'm going to bring this back from the dead......

He obviously doesn't know that much....

Look at the date he posted that.....

But the funniest part is its taken you a year to find a post that sort of agrees with your point...lol...

Email Andy Forrest now and ask him if he'd choose an apexi PFC over ESL....

Last edited by MattyB1983; 21 August 2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 21 August 2016, 08:18 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Years ago I remember the apexi fc using one of Andrew Carrs little boxes to allow it to run mafless. Neither Apexi or esl can run mafless without a few modifications, either a maf simulator for the apexi or a simple bit of wiring with the ESL. I would point our that the ESL was designed to run mafless where the standard apexi wasn't.

What I don't understand is why Andy Stevens and ESL get all this crap and abuse about the product.
The apexi can and does run maf or map as standard dependant on version. Any version can be made to run on map, but some will do it out of the box.

To be honest the reason is because of the way he went off on one on this thread. If you want to deal with people who respond to threads in that manner that's your choice. I wouldn't put up with it.

Quick Reply: Esl upgrade