Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Powertrain system too lean 😨

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2015, 06:38 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powertrain system too lean 😨

Hey guys, got an 03 wrx. Management fault is up saying "Powertrain-system too lean (bank 1)" .... can somebody advise me on what it actually is please. I know there's too much air going through the system, but can somebody tell me what bank 1 is? I had the secondary lambda probe replaced recently and a couple of hours after that this fault came up so i bought myself a code reader. could i find out what it is by using the torque pro app maybe?? bank 1 bank 1 bank 1 ........ damn my head and this car. i love it and spent far too much on her but i love her 😂
Old 16 May 2015, 12:04 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the actual error code that your logging?
Old 17 May 2015, 09:15 AM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default PO171

Hey bro, its throwing up a PO171 fault. apparently it's fault common. iv looked into it, most are pointing to the MAF, I have an aftermarket HKS panel air filter on her but can't see that as a problem you think? i can check fuel trims and all that but have NO idea at what these are supposed to read and what my cars vital readings are supposed to be and idle and loaded. You think it's a good idea to clean the MAF first, clear the code, and see what happens??
Old 17 May 2015, 09:31 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the car standard and was the 02 sensor a genuine Denso part ?
Old 17 May 2015, 10:01 AM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default Yes kinda

The car has all standard specifications, i do have a number of forged cosworth parts when i had my engine rebuild done. torque development did the build and the car has run fine with no faults for over a year. a few months ago a fault came up that lead exactly to the secondary lambda probe, that was rectified with a genuine part. The current fault flashed up within days after the new probe and when i went back for them to check the reader said it had "no data available" I see it with my own eyes. then a couple of weeks later i got my own readers and setups. its costing me a frickin bomb over the years for this car so im willing to learn all about it. i don't have any holes in my exaust and im sure the vacuuming isn't leaking. is there particular values or numbers that my MAF should be reading on idle or under load to determine it's that? what's the first thing you guys would do?
Old 17 May 2015, 07:45 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If its just the rear O2 sensor then have your mapper turn all the codes off for it. If you have a data logging cable then use romraider logger to "show ltv" data and post up the image it gives you.
Old 18 May 2015, 07:30 AM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default cool

Ok mate, il get a screenshot of the layout. il be sure to upload in the next few days. thanks.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:56 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...y-problem.html
Old 18 May 2015, 02:10 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default 👍

thanks for the link bro, il check it out when i get home. think I'm gonna need expertise from you guys this time.
Old 29 May 2015, 11:43 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default Sorry for the long update.

So I think iv diagnosed my problem hopefully. I few days ago i heard a strange hissing noise coming from the engine bay, it turns out that the T shaped hose connector from my boost gauge and vaccum pipe onto my air box/MAF had a split, I replaced the little hise and jubilee clipped it and it's been running fine for a few days no faults. also the idle was lumpy at the time i heard the hissing. thanks for the help boys. iv had trouble with my dedicated car laptop recently so had to reboot and install romraider again. looks a hard program to use, but no doubt very useful for datalogging. thanks again