Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

OBD2 help.

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2015, 11:48 AM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 help.

Good afternoon folks! You guys have pointed me in the right direction for my fault code questions, now iv got another noob question sorry. Iv got an 03 wrx and want to read/clear fault codes and log my cars data. iv been told to get a VAGCOM lead and im going to use romraider and also get the cheap bluetooth OBD2 setup to keep in-car. ..... NOW, is there a specific type of connection lead i need exactly as most i search for are for other car manufacturers. does OBD2 fit any car? can i just buy any OBD2 lead?? ..... not sure on anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 28 April 2015, 01:07 PM
fatboy_coach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marc lee
Good afternoon folks! You guys have pointed me in the right direction for my fault code questions, now iv got another noob question sorry. Iv got an 03 wrx and want to read/clear fault codes and log my cars data. iv been told to get a VAGCOM lead and im going to use romraider and also get the cheap bluetooth OBD2 setup to keep in-car. ..... NOW, is there a specific type of connection lead i need exactly as most i search for are for other car manufacturers. does OBD2 fit any car? can i just buy any OBD2 lead?? ..... not sure on anything. Thanks in advance.
The link I sent in the other thread is for a cable that will fit your scoob, which uses the standard OBD connector. The links that have different manufacturers listed is for hype in the most part.

As long as it looks like this
you'll be fine
Old 28 April 2015, 01:28 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default brilliant

Great stuff, thanks mate really appreciate it. Wasn't sure as it didn't say subaru, il order that one now. Thanks again bro 👍
Old 28 April 2015, 02:35 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

note though that this won't disable fault codes, only turn out the light the same as the bluetooth dongle does. to actually turn off the code permanently you need the openport lead (either a 1.3 or a 2.0) as you'll have to reflash the car with the code disabled.
Old 28 April 2015, 05:12 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default 👍

ok bro, thanks for the heads up. All it is, i changed my lambda probe and the management light comes up with a no data so the car isn't complaining of anything, just want to keep check myself instead of going to the shop every time. So just incase i want to get an openport cable, what would i search for exactly? or could somebody give me a link for one? be much appreciated. 👍
Old 28 April 2015, 05:20 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if its just to check codes and turn the light out:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DUSIEC-Bluetooth-Protocols-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B0085JE3X8/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1430237964&sr=1-4&keywords=elm327+bluetooth http://www.amazon.co.uk/DUSIEC-Bluetooth-Protocols-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B0085JE3X8/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1430237964&sr=1-4&keywords=elm327+bluetooth

one of those will do the job rightly, if you want to map/flash the car then you need the openport lead:
http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?opt...hk=1&Itemid=53

It's a fair bit of cash but I think it's worth it for the amount of use i've gotten from mine.
Old 28 April 2015, 05:35 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

It's just to keep check on what my car is doing and clear codes that have been sorted, but as you say, it's going to come in handy if i need an openport lead. Thanks a lot for that mate 👍. Just one more thing, whilst I'm logging my performance, is it ok to leave the cable in the port for lengthy times? I plan on going to York in a few weeks and wanted to log my whole trips performance. doesn't put more load on the ECU or affect the car if i left it plugged in whilst driving for a few hours would it?
Old 28 April 2015, 06:40 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

I've had mine logging for 100 mile round trips with no bother so should be grand. Leaving it in whilst the car is off might put a load on your battery though as it will be taking power from the obd port.