Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

mappers and mapping..............discuss

Old 08 April 2015, 08:27 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by scholesy
Richard is now at the helm of Zen, I only learnt this yesterday morning when I went for a downpipe and fuel pump fitting and remap to suit. Had to come away with the car unmapped though as there seems to be a problem getting my car into test mode to write a map so can't pass judgement on how good the map is yet!
Richard mapped my car on Monday and it feels great. Let's be honest, he's had the best possible teacher for the last few years so I'm pretty confident in his abilities
Old 08 April 2015, 09:58 PM
scholesy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I will say you can tell he's fitted enough downpipes, think it took him under an hour to fit including cutting the heatshield to suit!

I'm pleased you vouched for him and it definitely makes me feel better about it, I had my reservations as it was a bit offputting when everyone recommended me Paul at Zen but I got Richard at Zen when I arrived.
Old 27 April 2015, 06:05 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say it helps a LOT if your chosen mapper has a well sorted tuners garage and tools for the inevitable little problems that arise on the day
,it makes the difference between getting mapped on the day or having to return for another slot,
any problems may have to sorted by a 3rd party mechanic or tuner,on another day

this includes MAF or sensor problems, plugs,coil(s),lambda and every other bloody sensor on the car lol.
Old 27 April 2015, 06:34 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by madwrx
I would say it helps a LOT if your chosen mapper has a well sorted tuners garage and tools for the inevitable little problems that arise on the day
,it makes the difference between getting mapped on the day or having to return for another slot,
any problems may have to sorted by a 3rd party mechanic or tuner,on another day

this includes MAF or sensor problems, plugs,coil(s),lambda and every other bloody sensor on the car lol.

True story, wouldn't be the first time I've had to swap maf/map/boost solenoid/O2 sensor or even a tgv sensor! Doing it in the car park is a pain in the butt - hard to beat having a garage full of tools and spares and warmth at your disposal!
Old 28 April 2015, 10:46 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

absolutely no offence to any mappers .but you cant beat a zen ,scoobyclinic.engine tuner rcm,area 52 type setup ,decent techs and facilities help no end when the problems start.
Old 09 May 2015, 03:12 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you define a good mapper? Once your cars mapped really and truly you don't know whats going on unless you monitor and log. How many people do that?

Its very important to understand what the mapper actually changes, adjusts, which type of mods they have to work with and what issue they're dealing with.

When a car usually blows up mappers always get the finger, but people never see the underlying minor issue, like a split hose etc that may have caused the failure.

Personal experience has been varied, personally I think to get a perfect tune you need to spend time, a lot of mappers fail to do that unless you hire them for the day.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 10 May 2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10 May 2015, 12:39 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Group buy anybody lol.
One of my pet hates. I won't book group sessions as I feel it puts time limitations on a job that shouldn't have them.
I was told a story by a customer the other day of AN other mapper that aside from having his car strapped on the rollers, installed and mapped an Alcatek ecu in his Blobeye in 20 minutes.
No road test, job half done and the customer was left with a very nasty taste in his mouth.
Needless to say he won't be going back there.
Old 10 May 2015, 04:05 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Experience Of mapping from a "pro"

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...hemselves.html
Old 10 May 2015, 04:53 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Group buy anybody lol.
One of my pet hates. I won't book group sessions as I feel it puts time limitations on a job that shouldn't have them.
I was told a story by a customer the other day of AN other mapper that aside from having his car strapped on the rollers, installed and mapped an Alcatek ecu in his Blobeye in 20 minutes.
No road test, job half done and the customer was left with a very nasty taste in his mouth.
Needless to say he won't be going back there.

Can't beat the latest group buy mapping trend ! What are people thinking. The mind boggles
Old 10 May 2015, 05:08 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
My Experience Of mapping from a "pro"

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...hemselves.html
Totally understand you mate. All my bad experience has made me more knowledgeable in the mapping department. I have learnt a lot myself, at a younger age I was more naive & gullible, you would expect to have trust in a pro but not always the case. If I had the same knowledge then which I have now maybe I wouldn't have wasted that much money and got mucked about.

I would strongly advise people to read into mapping, maybe do a course, lots available, also look at safety equipment such as Failsafe wideband etc. It could really save you a engine.

The guy who maps my car now does Evo's but is spot on & I am always involved.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 10 May 2015 at 05:11 PM.