Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Log file

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2015, 12:12 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry I meant the EVAP purge control solenoid not EGR. You can read more about it here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2486013

as for the log file, what are we to look for here. is this a log of you just farting about in it? Your IAM is at zero for the entire log = the car has went basically into limp mode you need to find the reason why not continue driving in the hope that it will magically fix itself.

If it's not an air leak then something else is at fault, if you can't find what it is you'll have to nurse it to a garage for inspection.
Old 03 March 2015, 12:20 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Added - engine load calculated and manifold relative pressure direct to the log, didnt know if it helped give any pointers.

Got my pipe this morning to going to replace and cable tie as many pipes as I can get too, see if it makes any changes.
Old 03 March 2015, 12:34 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

only thing that stands out to me is the airflow corrections:
Click image for larger version

Name:	b3nhCqU.png
Views:	0
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	74233

Seems to be the car is now adding a bit of fuel there like some extra air is being sucked in after the MAF. Most likely before the turbo tho so again, I'd be back checking for vac leaks. The turbo intake pipe itself check all the vac lines coming in and out of that, the one for the dump valve as well as all the other ones.
Old 03 March 2015, 12:51 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Even my novice eyes can see that doesnt look right, assuming it should be a straight line at 0 in best case?

What program is that graph plotted in?

I have some parts, swrd turbo intake, sti intercooler and new vac lines, im more and more tempted to do a blanket swap.

Last edited by Manford; 03 March 2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03 March 2015, 01:06 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

you would see an amount of correction going on as things are always changing. Generally it should be small corrections with a few outliers. Yours seems to be more outliers than small adjustments so it would suggest something is odd.

Graph was made using ECUEdit:
http://epifansoft.com/ecuEdit-versions-prices.html

You can use just the logger app for fiddy bucks its much handier than dumping into excel and charting that way.
Old 03 March 2015, 02:20 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Replaced lines to the bcs at lunch, and the little one to the EVAP purge control.

Swapped lines 2,3 and 4. My line 3 had a joint in it 100mm off the t piece? I couldnt see any reason for this so replaced it with a single piece of pipe, less joint. I cable tied all the runs I made and most others I could get my hands to. My line 4 isnt direct like the one in the pic,at either end it goes through a joiner to change the id of the cable?

How easy is it to get the restrictor pill out? I want to change that pipe, just so I've done them all.

Last edited by Manford; 03 March 2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03 March 2015, 02:24 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes the wee connectors are normal -mine are all replaced now with straight pipes same as you've done.

What about the pipes connecting to the turbo intake pipe, any sign of anything being disconnected there?
Old 03 March 2015, 02:30 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Nothing that I can see, but ive cable tied the ones I can get to to try and make sure there are no leaks, will work out the id of the fatter cable and get some ordered up. Then I can replace the fatter bits off the turbo intake, EVAP purge control and the smaller one off the bov.

Will take the top off the airbox tomorrow to make it easier to get to the FPR pipe and replace and cable tie that too.
Old 03 March 2015, 02:31 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

get the intercooler off and get your head in behind there as well to check the PCV hoses are all still connected too.
Old 03 March 2015, 02:51 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Is it easy to get the restrictor pill out and into a new pipe?

I've checked the big pipe that goes onto the turbo intake pipe and the smaller one, going to swap them out either way.
Old 03 March 2015, 02:53 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

big pipe/small pipe - wah? Where do these pipes go.

The restrictor pill, sometimes yes sometimes no. See if you can poke it through with coathanger. If you have trouble getting it into the new pipe try submerging the pipe in hot water first to make it a little more sexy.
Old 03 March 2015, 03:09 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

me being a dick dont worry, im thinking bov/recirc valve not pcv. The pcv is sat in the block at the back by the gearbox? Is it worth removing and checking its not blocked?
Old 03 March 2015, 03:14 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes that's where the PCV is, dont remove it unless you have a replacement. Sometimes they snap coming out and I don think they are terribly pricey on ebay.

Just inspect the pipes for now, the recirc pipe is the other big one going back into the intake.

it's also possible for the old plastic to crack/leak on the underside of the turbo intake pipe near the turbo inlet. You'll not really spot that until you hack the thing up to remove it but you might pick it up with some carb cleaner spray.
Old 03 March 2015, 03:44 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

I have a nice shiny silicone turbo intake pipe that I was holding off fitting but I suppose it would be a good excuse to fit it :-)

I mite just get one then its swapped, if its not been done before its probably due a change.
Old 04 March 2015, 10:17 AM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Forgot my laptop so no logs or LTV values to show you, but................my car drives completely differently after the bits I did yesterday, much smoother on/off the throttle.

Fingers crossed mite be onto a winner............
Old 04 March 2015, 12:32 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

good man, check out the LTV to see what your IAM is at now, hopefully on the rise and closer to a healthy 16 than flat dead 0!
Old 04 March 2015, 01:44 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

hhmmmm, how does log look?

http://www.datazap.me/u/manford/log-...7?log=0&data=4

IAM stayed @ 8 for ages, then rose to 16 just as I got back to work.

I forgot to grab the LTV, will do in a sec, DONE!

Last edited by Manford; 04 March 2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04 March 2015, 03:02 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't be waving the success flag just yet - you only got up to 3000 rpm or so !

IAM starts at 8 every time you reset the ECU - for a quick lift get in 2nd and try to make 5psi or so at low RPM. Use your left foot to brake the car and keep the revs steady and just apply throttle until it starts making boost. Should take a bout 3 seconds or so.
Old 04 March 2015, 03:05 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know, but these are by far the healthiest figures we've seen from my car to date.

Will give it a go on the way home and see what happens.
Old 04 March 2015, 06:27 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! IAM still drops when cars wound up.

The figures in the third coulmn still stay with in reasonable figures, rose to 3.5% but still way below the 8-10% I was getting. Could still be a small air leak still?

http://www.datazap.me/u/manford/log-...g=0&data=1-2-4

Anything new leaping out at you? AFR looks to go to pot when I lift off.
Old 05 March 2015, 11:08 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes the AFR is a bit of a concern there during the pull - far too lean for a standard map. It's supposed to go 20+ when you lift off, the injectors are switched off when your off the pedal and coasting down so the AFR will read straight air.

Check the vac lines coming off the manifold (all of them) hopefully you can find one that's leaking/disconnected and causing the problem. Or see if you can borrow a MAF sensor in case it's dieing and giving you a bum signal.
Old 05 March 2015, 11:21 AM
Manford
Scooby Regular

If its going lean during the pull does that point towards, fuel pump or fpr?

The extra pipe i ordered has just arrived so will look at swapping more out later.

Il wip out the maf and make sure there is nothing that looks off.
Old 05 March 2015, 12:20 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

lean condition could also be caused by under-reading MAF sensor on the way out. The car thinks its only eating 100g/s of air when really it's eating 150g/s of air. Extra air without fuel = lean mixture.

Unlikely to be the fuel pump, could be the FPR or could be the emissions valve as well. The issue with FPR/Evap could still be a busted/disconnected/loose/leaky vac line though. they use the increasing manifold pressure to trigger an increase in fuel pressure.
Old 05 March 2015, 12:30 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

emissions valve? wheres that one hiding?
Old 05 March 2015, 12:43 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

thing with the electrical connector coming out of it. See the blue connector on the vac lines near it - has a habit of trying to escape from time to time. It will be tucked under the left hand side of the intake manifold (closer to the front of the car). Also its fragile - if it's on the way out it's likely to snap a nipple off and need replacing.
Old 05 March 2015, 12:48 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

should be hooked up like this:
Old 05 March 2015, 12:52 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Cool, I know the one, the bigger pipe (8mm id) I recieved today is to replace all of that and the short bits coming off the turbo intake before it drops to 4mm id to the BCS, and the same again at the BCS end.

Last edited by Manford; 05 March 2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08 March 2015, 01:01 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's going lean on a pull and the pump was weak then this could contribute to it, struggling to keep up with delivery for instance.

I'm no guru like our friend here with logs etc but I've experienced a pump doing this, albeit on a mapping session
Old 08 March 2015, 10:12 AM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

have you checked the fuel filter isnt block and restricting fuel delivery to the rail
Old 10 March 2015, 04:50 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Replaced a few more pipes over the wknd with a 5 week old time is short. Need to get the lines to purge control solenoid valve changed that go to the t piece and return pipe.

Checked my ltv values this morning, third column has shot up again, IAM is at 16 though....very confused.

I finally have all the bits I need so hopefully Thursday, turbo intake and remaining vac line will be changed along with tmic + y pipe. I also have a maf sensor coming. Once that's done all the intake track will have been swapped.

If I had iffy fuel lines, air could get in that way? fuel filter was changed 2-3k ago.

Last edited by Manford; 10 March 2015 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Log file