Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Temperature sensors and meth injection

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2015, 10:44 AM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature sensors and meth injection

So I am using a water meth injection setup and I'd like to know what people think about putting the IAT before the nozzle. A kit like the devilz-own water meth injection system will progressively spray when the boost reaches a given lower level psi all the way through to a given higher level psi value.

Understandably, the temperature of the charged air will decrease when the gaseous water meth reaches the cylinder but I believe that this will be a constant value and thus, mappable, I would just have to manage the air temperature vs injector duration correction values accordingly.

The problem I am having with my current temp sensor location is heat soak and I'd like to place the temp sensor somewhere that isn't susceptible to this.

Any comments?
Old 25 January 2015, 11:22 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We have run WMI and our nozzle has been located as you want to have it,after IAT sensor
You need to take to account,IAT must be placed close or closest to throttle body,yes heat soak is pretty normal for IAT,what ECU are you running and did you logged IAT temperature,what temps are seeing during the summer ?

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 26 January 2015, 07:43 AM
edizio
Scooby Regular

The temperature I get in summer is roughly the same as I get in winter. I have a greddy trust drag intercooler and with meth, I get around 27deg c but after a long drive without boost and meth, it just heat soaks and if I leave the car off, it's terrible.

I was thinking of placing the temp sensor just after the intercooler and assumed the rise in heat would be constant which is tuneable.
Old 26 January 2015, 12:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edizio
The temperature I get in summer is roughly the same as I get in winter. I have a greddy trust drag intercooler and with meth, I get around 27deg c but after a long drive without boost and meth, it just heat soaks and if I leave the car off, it's terrible.

I was thinking of placing the temp sensor just after the intercooler and assumed the rise in heat would be constant which is tuneable.
Hi there

Those temperatures are good and i would say great...Assume you are running TMIC,if you have issues with heatsoak,heatsoak usually you will suffer like on FMIC or TMIC,in summer weather we are seen 40-50C ACT(Air Charge temperature) when we are been in traffic,but this will go quickly down when you moving etc

I would place IAT sensor as I said,behind the throttle body,we have used this hose on our wagon with integrated boss for IAT/ACT sensor

http://www.jti.uk.com/product/reducers-with-m10-boss/

What ECU are you running ?

Did you spoke with yours mapper?

Thanks,Jura
Old 26 January 2015, 01:15 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

I run an apexi ECU and map myself. No problems with the AFR nor ignition timing but I do get heat soak after a while. Running a front mounted intercooler but due to the size of the turbo, I get a lot of heat under bonnet, even with turbo blanket. With the current temperature sensor on the throttle body, this is pretty much the reason for theh heat soak.
Old 26 January 2015, 01:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edizio
I run an apexi ECU and map myself. No problems with the AFR nor ignition timing but I do get heat soak after a while. Running a front mounted intercooler but due to the size of the turbo, I get a lot of heat under bonnet, even with turbo blanket. With the current temperature sensor on the throttle body, this is pretty much the reason for theh heat soak.
Hi there

We are run Syvecs S6 on our wagon and now we are running too Syvecs on Civic EP3 Type R....

Heat soak is normal like on FMIC or TMIC,this is down to the car is not moving or is slow moving,we are run various turbos like MDX321T,Garrett GT30 .63AR or GT35 .82R

If you are getting heat soak when you are moving,then something is wrong on yours car or on yours cooling side etc,we are run as I said,behind the throttle body ACT/IAT sensor

You can try put bit further IAT and try to test and log if you will get similar or same results

What turbo are you running ?

Thanks,Jura
Old 26 January 2015, 02:14 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Turbo is a GT42! :P

I get the heat soak if I am driving for long periods on the motorway or the car is standing still. If I drive like a maniac on the track, it is absolutely fine.
Old 26 January 2015, 04:13 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised you get higher temps on the motorway, I run a thermacouple sensor wire under the intercooler/ throttlebody connecting pipe for monitoring purposes, this is on a tmic, cruising temps with little boost would usually be 2-3 deg's above ambient, intercooler 'in' temps then usually 35c-40c(thermocouple wire in turbo connecting pipe) Obviously, stationary or slow moving then temps soar up to 50c or so, returning quickly to normal once moving, even a small amount of turbo activity quickly clears the heat soak.
My w/m nozzle is in the mouth of the intercooler outlet pipe, upstream of the thermocouple, it kicks in at 1bar boost up to full boost at 1.6bar and is very good at knocking temps down but there is always a relation to ambient temps, so if outside temps are 15c at full boost I'm seeing ACT's from the thermocouple thermometer of 21/22c, intercooler 'in' temps from the turbo would be around the 130c mark. On the long backstraight at Bedford up to 140mph, ACT'S would be 5/6 degrees higher but intercooler 'in' temps from the turbo then could be as high as 150c. The w/m does a good job at keeping things constant.
Hope this helps in some way, the problem you have in the UK is w/m injection is little used. If you haven't already, I would go onto the NASIOC website and look for 'water/meth injection, nitrous, intercooling' section.
Trev