Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

boost guage? rev counter? mph?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2014, 09:08 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost guage? rev counter? mph?

when boosting , who looks at what ?? do u watch psi on boost gauge? speed mph? or rev counter?
Old 28 January 2014, 07:55 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Normaly I look at the road ahead of me when on boost lol
Old 28 January 2014, 07:41 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

always a good idea, I find it keeps insurance premiums down. I mean the idea of a boost gauge is to view it under boost conditions, but also rev counter to avoid hitting the limiter area. so my question is what display do u look watch during a sprint run in 1st and 2 nd say..
Old 29 January 2014, 07:41 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sssssteeeee
always a good idea, I find it keeps insurance premiums down. I mean the idea of a boost gauge is to view it under boost conditions, but also rev counter to avoid hitting the limiter area. so my question is what display do u look watch during a sprint run in 1st and 2 nd say..
Normaly its a listen , as I tend to wait for my shift buzzer to tell me when to change gear

I also put a second boost gauge in to help keep a eye on things while on the track

Old 29 January 2014, 08:55 AM
wrx5343
Scooby Regular

Boost gauge is only there to spot a problem with over or under boost, you don't really need to keep watching it.
Old 03 February 2014, 10:44 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best to have boast gauge which will at least beep when you hit targeted boost(many gauges can have set beep)

RPM too you can set,this depends on the car,but you can go route of the RPM flash light,which will flash/blink,I think you can wire to the existing loom on the speedo or ECU

When we run gauges everything has been complicated with watching every gauge,Toucan has changed this and massively improve this too,but we are run too Race Technology Dash2

Jura
Old 05 October 2014, 09:20 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

indeed I got a pro sport boost gauge which allows me to set the alarm to go off, but I also notice the engine check light tends to flash at around 7000, this does worry me as car was mapped by a well known mapper and car seems very healthy in terms of boost and good low down torque. as said eyes on road is defo the way to go !!. gadgets can be a distraction .
Old 06 October 2014, 08:14 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

indeed I got a pro sport boost gauge which allows me to set the alarm to go off, but I also notice the engine check light tends to flash at around 7000, this does worry me as car was mapped by a well known mapper and car seems very healthy in terms of boost and good low down torque. as said eyes on road is defo the way to go !!. gadgets can be a distraction .
That's why defi gauges are a good choice as you can set them to record ,, do some serious driving without distraction and then play it back after while your cooling it down
Old 06 October 2014, 08:46 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Some ecus have the check engine light set as a shift light.
Old 21 October 2014, 10:41 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

I had a simtek ecu in my previous STI and it used to do that all the time. Had the ECU changed and mapped again - never seen the check engine light again
Old 25 October 2014, 12:38 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Simtek ecu flashing at high rpm with be the shift light, its a feature not a problem. Your mapper will confirm if that is correct or wrong but I'm sure you don't have a problem
Old 17 February 2015, 07:04 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

thank u guys for your input. as they say if in doubt give it a clout or is it flat it out.