Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Hopping and Skipping?

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2009, 07:19 PM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopping and Skipping?

I've got an '02 Prodive Bug and liked the handling with the exception of the the understeer I used to experience at low speeds; ie accelerating on low speed roundabouts.
In order to cure this problem I have fitted the following:
- BC racing coilovers (Set evenly at 18 of 32 clicks towards hard)
- Adjustable White line rear ARB (Medium setting currently)
- Whiteline rear metal drop links
- Whiteline ALK

The level of grip now availiable is excellent but despite considerably upping the speeds at which it happens, I still suffer from understeer, then 4 wheel drifiting, at higher speeds but in a hopping and skipping motion.
The tyres grip then release, grip then release, grip then release. This was rather unsettling the first time it happened and I'm interested to know if anyone else's car has similar characteristics?
Could it be to do with the tyre wall stiffness? I'm running FK452's?
The only reason I ask is that I drive Vectra VXR's and T5's hard and they all understeer but in a very progressive fashion, but the scooby just goes into a 'bouncing' motion?

Any idea's?
Old 08 August 2009, 09:32 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hmmmm..... First step try the rear ARB on the stiffest setting.

Try softening the damping at the rear a tadge ? Then the car will roll slightly more and dig in harder ?

Just go out and play (somewhere safe of course), I went out in a Type-R recently and it was a bit like that, too stiff at the rear. So we softened the rear dampers one click and it was "better".

HTH

dunx

P.S. Or I may be completely wrong and you need to stiffen it

Last edited by dunx; 08 August 2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09 August 2009, 04:31 PM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

Well, my first thoughts were to soften the front, generate more body roll and have the car put a greater vertical force through the front nearside tyre; but I hated it! The car felt sloppy and horrible! I then evened the rear to match the front and this was better, but not positive enough for my liking! (Bearing in mind this is the difference of only 2 clicks!)

So now I've gone slightly harder all round, more grip for sure but still skipping on the limit! It's like the ABS has kicked in, until you just let the back end whip round and you're sideways! Always fun!!!
Old 10 August 2009, 12:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Hoody2769
I've got an '02 Prodive Bug and liked the handling with the exception of the the understeer I used to experience at low speeds; ie accelerating on low speed roundabouts.
In order to cure this problem I have fitted the following:
- Whiteline ALK

The level of grip now availiable is excellent but despite considerably upping the speeds at which it happens, I still suffer from understeer, then 4 wheel drifiting, at higher speeds but in a hopping and skipping motion.
The tyres grip then release, grip then release, grip then release. This was rather unsettling the first time it happened and I'm interested to know if anyone else's car has similar characteristics?
Could it be to do with the tyre wall stiffness? I'm running FK452's?
The only reason I ask is that I drive Vectra VXR's and T5's hard and they all understeer but in a very progressive fashion, but the scooby just goes into a 'bouncing' motion?

Any idea's?
Sounds like your damping is too stiff at the rear. Generally the damping needs to be more relaxed at the rear than at the front, owing to the lower spring rate. Try softening off the rear in incremental clicks and see what feels better.

Suspension is a real black art; you only realise when you get adjustable set ups!

Ns04
Old 08 June 2014, 08:57 AM
Bodsbug
Scooby Newbie

Just jumping in on this to save starting a new thread..

I've got a WRX Bug and it does feel a bit unbalanced in the bends,standard suspension,two Toyo t1r's up front and two cheaper ones on then back which were already on the car with similar tread pattern to the Toyo's..I've had Impreza'a in the past,classic and blobeye and both where better handling than the Bug.Is this just a trait for the Bug? should I change the rear's to match the front?..Any advice would be listened to.Cheers
Old 08 June 2014, 10:11 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoody2769
- Whiteline ALK
I have BCs fitted to my Blob and I wouldn't use them on the road with much more than 4 clicks up from full soft. At 18 I'd be rattling my teeth I think.
I have used these settings with both a 22mm and 25mm RARB, and a 22mm FARB.
I also have solid drop links and ALK, with the addition of a roll centre adjustment kit.
As said it does sound like your dampers are set too stiff.
Old 16 June 2014, 01:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodsbug
Just jumping in on this to save starting a new thread..

I've got a WRX Bug and it does feel a bit unbalanced in the bends,standard suspension,two Toyo t1r's up front and two cheaper ones on then back which were already on the car with similar tread pattern to the Toyo's..I've had Impreza'a in the past,classic and blobeye and both where better handling than the Bug.Is this just a trait for the Bug? should I change the rear's to match the front?..Any advice would be listened to.Cheers
Yes change your rear tyres to toyo's to match the fronts.
Old 16 June 2014, 10:03 PM
Bodsbug
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Tony,will do and see how she feels..thought that might be the problem,cheaper rubber..
Old 11 November 2014, 01:11 PM
dave_t
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bodsbug
Cheers Tony,will do and see how she feels..thought that might be the problem,cheaper rubber..
Note the TR1 sidewalls are slightly soft for a Newage car which I found can unbalance the rear. Try lifting the rear pressure slightly....