Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

whirring/whinning

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2015, 06:27 PM
Y27JLC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whirring/whinning

I noticed a noise a few weeks after buying my car. It only happens when you back off the throttle and slows with speed. Put your foot back down and it stops. It sounds like play in something but only happens on deceleration. Ive changed the gearbox and diff oils changed. Had a passenger side cv joint replaced and fitted a new uprated gearbox mount and dogbone. I have yet to do the engine mounts but it seems it has got worse after doing the mounts today. I noticed play in the driveshafts whilst underneath but more on one side than the other. My car is an 03 wrx. I feel im chasig my tail with this. Anyone had anything similar?
Old 27 July 2015, 08:18 PM
williams.84
Scooby Regular

Mines doing the same thing it feels like it's coming from the gearbox but the vibration is more on the front passenger side. I've changed the same as you I've been told it could be the cradle mounts did you change These when you say the gearbox mounts?
Old 27 July 2015, 11:37 PM
Y27JLC
Scooby Regular

No i didnt. Im guessing you mean the foam insert type things?
Old 28 July 2015, 06:41 AM
williams.84
Scooby Regular

No there are four rubber inserts in the cradle whiteline and super pro do a kit it's called the gearbox cross member mount. not sure if it is this but I've ordered a set as I've more or less done everything else I can think of.
Old 28 July 2015, 09:16 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

It will most likely be the bearings on the drop gears or the centre diff at the rear of the gearbox.

Changing the gearbox oil may have helped a little, but putting on an uprated mounts and pitch mount will have made it much worse by transmitting more of the noise into the cabin. Swap it back back to get back to square one, but real solution is bearing replacement in the gearbox.

I think they might be prone to fail but most likely made worse if car has been run at speed with a flat tyre or mismatched tyre sizes. It's worth checking that all your tyres are at the correct pressure.

Last edited by tjmatt; 28 July 2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 28 July 2015, 11:49 AM
Y27JLC
Scooby Regular

Is bearing replacement a big job? is it gearbox out kinda job?
Old 28 July 2015, 01:07 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

You can do it by dropping the gearbox enough to pull the rear section off but it's easier out of the car. Need to remove prop gearlinkages etc I would have thought.

Best get diagnosed properly, because you may find there is nothing really wrong and main problem is you have uprated bushes transmitting much more noise through. I have to say I don't like uprated bushes and mounts for the very reason that it starts to get rather loud inside the car, and you start to hear everything!
Old 16 November 2015, 05:31 PM
janner man
Scooby Newbie

Hi guy I'm just experiencing the the wine when I turn my steering wheel new power steering pump has been fitted and there isn't any drop in power steering fluid I checked it but I did notice there was some oil on the floor this evening it's not very loud noise but it's there need some advice if possible