Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How to cut down wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2014, 10:40 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to cut down wheel studs

As above really, need to cut 5mm off my wheel studs for the spacers, how would people recommend doing that?

I have angle grinders etc, I thought about the small 3" cut off tool for my compressor and then clean up with a tap/die.

Any better suggestions?
Old 21 October 2014, 06:44 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Mine were cut off with an angle grinder and all seems well so far
Old 21 October 2014, 07:02 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

You shouldn't be fitting spacers on a capable car
Old 21 October 2014, 11:14 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
You shouldn't be fitting spacers on a capable car
Can you elaborate a little as to why?
Old 22 October 2014, 08:22 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

He will probably spout the usual intternet quotes about putting more strain on track rods and ball joints etc. None of which bother me.

Its no different to putting a low offset wheel on a car without a spacer. Infact I would wager that almost all drift cars run some kind of spacer or adapter.

I'm not really interested in the argument about to space or not to space. I am spacing I just wasn't sure on the best way to cut the lugs down so any ideas are much appreciated
Old 22 October 2014, 08:34 AM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Wind a steel nut to the bottom of the stud. Try and cut in line with the thread, (not quite square) using an angle grinder, clean up any burrs with a file and then unwind the nut which then cleans the threads up. If the nut is tight before it fully comes off the stud then wind it back in again and go over the cut edge a few times until it's nice and free to rotate

I've heard people say lots of things about spacers, that they load up bearings and cause premature wear to joints etc etc. But I fully agree with you that a low offset wheel would do exactly the same thing. The only real argument I agree with is if the spacer is made out of toffee, then it could fail and cause damage.

Remember, if you want to go back to using the car without the spacers then you'll have to replace the studs you've cut down
Old 22 October 2014, 10:38 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tom-r33
Wind a steel nut to the bottom of the stud. Try and cut in line with the thread, (not quite square) using an angle grinder, clean up any burrs with a file and then unwind the nut which then cleans the threads up. If the nut is tight before it fully comes off the stud then wind it back in again and go over the cut edge a few times until it's nice and free to rotate

I've heard people say lots of things about spacers, that they load up bearings and cause premature wear to joints etc etc. But I fully agree with you that a low offset wheel would do exactly the same thing. The only real argument I agree with is if the spacer is made out of toffee, then it could fail and cause damage.

Remember, if you want to go back to using the car without the spacers then you'll have to replace the studs you've cut down
Spot on mate, thanks.

Nah as you can see on my build thread I don't do things by halves. Got CDF adapters so no problems with that!
Old 22 October 2014, 10:54 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Spot on mate, thanks.

Nah as you can see on my build thread I don't do things by halves. Got CDF adapters so no problems with that!
I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind on spacers. I have some super gt billet 15mm spacers (hubcentric) to help my wheels clear brembos. I have only ever found 1 report online showing a spacer problem and that was on a Nissan gtr where they had been over tightened before track use.
Old 22 October 2014, 04:51 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Can you elaborate a little as to why?
Seems like he's elaborated the reasons why, but if it dosent bother you and you don't mind spending when strain it put on the components then fair enough, for a road/daily car most don't want to do it as they don't want the expense of parts failing earlier than usual.
Old 22 October 2014, 09:14 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Seems like he's elaborated the reasons why, but if it dosent bother you and you don't mind spending when strain it put on the components then fair enough, for a road/daily car most don't want to do it as they don't want the expense of parts failing earlier than usual.
That's all pretty subjective really, I can't find anywhere it has been proven to load up ball joints and cause premature wear etc.

To be honest if you take a read of my build thread you will see this isn't some kind of every day road car, and with a 2 post ramp in my garage its not the end of the world to do ball joints etc

Thanks for the input guys
Old 22 October 2014, 09:20 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
That's all pretty subjective really, I can't find anywhere it has been proven to load up ball joints and cause premature wear etc.

To be honest if you take a read of my build thread you will see this isn't some kind of every day road car, and with a 2 post ramp in my garage its not the end of the world to do ball joints etc

Thanks for the input guys
Hence I siad 'capable' car as yours will take more strain.
I think the common one is bearings.