Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 20 February 2011, 11:45   #1
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Default Painting new plaster

1 : How long does new plaster take to dry (I understand room temp,humidity etc are factors)?
2: Can I speed up the drying process without messing up the work?
3: Plasterer has recommended a 50/50 paint/water solution to paint over the top but I've seen this and alledgedly it goes straight on

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...tNumber=126278

I'm more inclined to go with the plasterers suggestion but what paint can you use to make the 50/50 solution (i.e. the actual paint I want to paint the room with or can you use cheap paint?)

Sorry if these are silly questions but want to get it right first time

TIA

Paul
myblackwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2011, 12:03   #2
JazzRST
Scooby Regular

hi mate, i just painted mine yesterday, had the walls re-skimmed so left it for about 2 weeks (as i was busy) and painted the first coat matt white 1 part water 5 part paint. Bought cheap white paint from homebase.
The previous room i left for a week to dry and painted it the same, white first then the actual colour i wanted.
i'm no pro decorator just used info i found from forums.
hope this helps
JazzRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2011, 14:34   #3
john_s
Scooby Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to john_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackwrx View Post
1 : How long does new plaster take to dry (I understand room temp,humidity etc are factors)?
2: Can I speed up the drying process without messing up the work?
3: Plasterer has recommended a 50/50 paint/water solution to paint over the top but I've seen this and alledgedly it goes straight on

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...tNumber=126278

I'm more inclined to go with the plasterers suggestion but what paint can you use to make the 50/50 solution (i.e. the actual paint I want to paint the room with or can you use cheap paint?)
1: It varies... depends on the factors you list, plus how thick the plaster is (ie a skim will dry a lot quicker than if the plasterer used bonding and skim). You'll be able to see the plaster's colour change as it dries.

2: You could leave a dehumidifier running in the room.

3: Just use cheap white emulsion and dilute 50/50 as recommended.
john_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2011, 15:40   #4
johned
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)

Make sure you use a non vinyl paint as a vinyl paint will hold the moisture in and you could get the paint bubbling up,dulux make a non vinyl paint for this kind of situation.
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2011, 23:34   #5
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

nothing wrong with using vinyl MATT emulsion on new plaster.

just thin it down what ever paint you use well... all depends on the brand of paint you use and the quality of it. So retail paints are already very thin. trade paints are thicker to allow the 'pro' to thin down as required.

if you apply the first coat by brush you also 'push' the paint into the surface more, wereas if you use a roller you my find it doesn't penertrate into the surface as good.

contact Matt is fine as well, its just not as good a quality as vinyl matt (ie: not as hard wearing)

when people talk about not using vinyl.. they mean Vinyl Silk.

It comes down to cost, contact vinyl is cheaper than vinyl matt, so as a first coat its ok.

better to put two thin coats of paint on the new substrate thn one thicker coat.

You need to even out the porosity of the surface, then you can fine surface fill, rub down, the apply a second coat of thin paint..allow to dry, then finish with two coats (for a better finish) of vinyl matt, silk, soft sheen, clean extreme, flat matt, diamond matt. etc etc.
salsa-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2011, 15:52   #6
ALi-B

Yup as above; thinned vinyl matt is fine: We've had our kitchen re-skimmed, and last month had the downstairs loo/laundry studded out and plastered and that is what I've used.

Drying time of plaster depends on the thickness of plaster and how big the room is, humidty, heat and ventilation; the reskimmed areas in the heated kitchen dried in about 3-4 days. But the thick plastered areas on the studded walls (foil backed) in the unheated loo/laundry took well over a week; expecially in the corners. This is mainly due to no radiator/heat in the loo/laundry and cold outside weather.

After a week, it still wasn't fully dry, so I stuck in a heater and de-humidifier, which finished it off (do not use a dehumidifier until you give it at least a week or so to dry naturally to avoid cracking, but do try to keep the room warm and well ventilated ).

Afer it was dry, I LIGHTLY sanded and recitfied any major defects that stood proud (trowl marks etc), any filling required was done after priming, as is easier to see after the paint is applied.

All I used to prime is whatever Vinyl MATT emulsion I've had stacked in the garage. In my case it was "Leyland Vinyl Matt, nutmeg white". Watered it down to about 50:50 (actually more like 40:60 water: paint), and well stirred (takes a few mins). On the tin, the paint manufacturer says to use 1 parts water to 10 parts paint, but upon testing, it seemed waay too thick, so I thinned it further. I applied using a brush for the nooks and crannies and a medium thickness pure lambswool roller.

Walls just sucked the paint in and it was dry almost straight away. The main coats was also Leyland branded paint to ensure compatability, which I thinned very slightly to make it apply better with the roller.

I'm not insane. My mother had me tested

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 February 2011 at 15:54.
ALi-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2011, 23:35   #7
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Plaster has gone very pale almost white I'm guessing this is dry (as John S pointed out a colour change), only ask as I was told it would only take a week or so yet looking on internet some people same weeks even months to completely dry!!!

ps thanks for painting advice
Old 27 February 2011, 09:56   #8
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

if you get some MacPherson Eclipes paint,
Click the image to open in full size.

it can still be applied on plaster that isn't 100% dry, as it allows the plaster to dry through it.
http://www.macphersonpaints.co.uk/Pa...x?productref=6
Old 27 February 2011, 13:55   #9
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers will be going for Dulux Trade supermatt or Dulux Trade vinyl matt.

Forgot the obvious bit it's for my bathroom does this cause any problems with what paint to use (seen that specific bathroom paints are a bit of a con?)
Old 27 February 2011, 23:13   #10
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

they're retail paints,

Crown bathroom Matt paint in TRADE form is Clean Extreme, they both smell exactly the same so must be the same stuff.

DULUX TRADE will be Diamond Matt.

You can use Soft sheen or vinyl silk if you want a 'shiny' look.

our main bathroom still has GLIDDENS contract matt on the walls/ceiling. Not had any problems with it, as with any bathroom the problems con with lack of ventilation
Old 27 February 2011, 23:13

Tags
40, 60, dehumidifier, emulsion, fix, fresh, heater, paint, painting, plaster, room, run, shiny, skim, spots, water