Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 20 October 2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (3)
Default Rough cost to remove a chimney breast upto loft level ?

I'm going to get a couple of quotes in the next few days, i just need a ball part figure for what this should roughly cost so i have something to work with.

Its just a normal size chimney breast downstairs, upstairs its a lot narrower where its more of a funnel, i want it removing upto loft level where ive read you support the breast on a type of bracket, is it a gallow bracket ?

Ive informed building control at the council where i think its just over 100 for them to come out.

Downstairs dimensions of the chimney breast: Width 59 inches, Depth 18 half inches, Height 59 inches.

Upstairs: Width 19 inches, Depth 14 inches.
Rob_Impreza99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 10:44 PM   #2
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99 View Post
I'm going to get a couple of quotes in the next few days, i just need a ball part figure for what this should roughly cost so i have something to work with.

Its just a normal size chimney breast downstairs, upstairs its a lot narrower where its more of a funnel, i want it removing upto loft level where ive read you support the breast on a type of bracket, is it a gallow bracket ?

Ive informed building control at the council where i think its just over 100 for them to come out.

Downstairs dimensions of the chimney breast: Width 59 inches, Depth 18 half inches, Height 59 inches.

Upstairs: Width 19 inches, Depth 14 inches.
Ive just done one from floor to loft (used a gallow bracket) latted and plasterboard ,skim walls fitted new skirting 2,000 all in
alanbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 11:06 PM   #3
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Trader Score: (0)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbell View Post
Ive just done one from floor to loft (used a gallow bracket) latted and plasterboard ,skim walls fitted new skirting 2,000 all in
Sounds about right.
Can be a fooking horrible job, really dirty.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:47 AM   #4
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Cheers Alan

You will laugh at the first quote ive had ...... 900 all in including bracket, the skip, putting the floorbaords right and ceiling etc.

Why do i get a rogue traders feeling about that quote
Old 21 October 2010, 08:33 AM   #5
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Cheers Alan

You will laugh at the first quote ive had ...... 900 all in including bracket, the skip, putting the floorbaords right and ceiling etc.

Why do i get a rogue traders feeling about that quote
forgot to say i patched holes in ceilings, pva full ceiling skim full ceilings (dont let them just plaster hole you will hate it) refill floors as needed,
skip 140 bracket 100, latts ,plasterboard ,plaster ect 70 odd bits 30,
5 days labour 2 men 1500 .
this is what i charge for this job , A lot charge more than me
around York , ive done a few
Rob have a lok on that web site i told you about
<<<<<< cheers alan.
Old 21 October 2010, 06:34 PM   #6
stevebt
600bhp'ish

Trader Score: (8)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Told you that price sounded too cheap
stevebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
alanbell
Scooby Regular

how did you go with this rob ?????
Old 01 November 2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Quote:
how did you go with this rob ?????
Alright Alan

Ive had a couple of builders round to give us a quote, both basically said that until an engineer has come round to do calculations in the loft they can't give an accurate quote yet, the builders said that they need the exact calculations to give a quote as the engineer may say he wants it doing differently to the way they may have suggested.

I booked an engineer to come out a week ago but he's very busy at the min, this coming friday is the earliest he could manage.

Tell you what, its long, drawn out with lots of red tape involved to get rid of a chimney breast, the council will be having their 125 slice of the cake soon as well lol

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 01 November 2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02 November 2010, 12:57 AM   #9
boomer
Scooby Senior

Just being a bit naive but why take it out only to the loft level, why not all the way up to and including the chimney (and put in a new bit of roof)?

That way you aren't worrying about a few tons of bricks coming crashing down in the middle of the night.

mb (who had the opposite done - removed the chimney but kept the breast)
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2010, 09:14 AM   #10
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Just being a bit naive but why take it out only to the loft level, why not all the way up to and including the chimney (and put in a new bit of roof)?

That way you aren't worrying about a few tons of bricks coming crashing down in the middle of the night.

mb (who had the opposite done - removed the chimney but kept the breast)
my be next door share the chimney ,
Old 02 November 2010, 07:22 PM   #11
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

We live in a semi, as Alan eluded too its a shared chimney stack.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:49 PM   #12
boomer
Scooby Senior

Alan and Rob,

doh, i guess it was kinda obvious really - but i must admit, i would prefer to have the whole chimney removed (with the consent of your neighbour of course) if at all possible.

IIRC, my chimney removal was only a few hundred quid (mumbleteen years ago) which allowed my neighbour to take his whole chimney breast away as a DIY job a few years later (i.e. blood, sweat and free!).

mb
Old 02 November 2010, 11:05 PM   #13
alanbell
Scooby Regular

you are right , it would be better taking full stack down,
if possible,
Old 03 November 2010, 12:33 AM   #14
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Removing the chimney stack isn't an option really, the elderly chap that lives next door to us is a bit of a Victor Meldrew character, i'm sure he would object just for the sake of objecting lol

He's at the stage in his life where i doubt he'll be doing any other major alterations so removing the stack on the roof wouldn't be of any benefit to him, he'd probably say he likes the look of the chimney breast anyway regardless.
Old 17 November 2010, 11:44 AM   #15
bob r
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (46)

I did this job a few weeks ago for 980 all in.
I removed the full stack right down to the ground floor.
Day 1 [2 men] full chimney removal and make good the roof.
Day 2 [1 man]was stud out the recess that the breast removal made and plasterboard the lot including ceilings.
Day 3 [1 man] was fit floorboards, skim the plasterboard + collect my spends.

My quote was perhaps on the low side as it was for a mate of a mate.
Old 18 November 2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Not bad at all that bob.

Ive only just recieved the surveyors calculations, he has recommended a steel lintel instead of gallows brackets to support the stack in the loft. Apparently our local council are not keen on gallows brackets in semi detached houses, they allow them in detached houses.

Its the red tape side of things that holds you up, next ive got to inform the council of whats being done which means sending them the plans with a cheque for 120. I could have had it completely ripped out long before now if things were more straight forward.
Old 25 November 2010, 11:12 AM   #17
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Ive just had a quote for supporting the chimney breast in the loft, its from the builder who built our downstairs extension.

He`s quoted 350 to supply and fit a steel lintel (3.4m) in the loft to support the chimney breast, that includes putting the outside roof right after as the lintel has to go in through the outside roof and it also includes extending 3 roof joists, 2 downstairs and one upstairs and includes scaffolding etc.

I`m happy with that, i`ll be doing the dismantling of the chimney breast myself which looks fairly straight forward once the breast is supported in the loft.

In our area the council won`t allow gallows brackets in adjoining properties, they only allow them in detached houses. To be honest a steel lintel feels the more solid option anyway.

If anyone reads the forum at a later date and needs to know rough costs, these are mine.

Surveyor/engineer calculations cost: 120
Council fees for signing off: 120
Supply and fit steel lintel, extend 3 ceiling joists. 350
Skip 50

Obviously you would have some plastering work to do after but i`m fortunate that i was renovating the downstairs room anyway so thats back to bare walls with the ceiling removed, its just the upstairs ceiling that will need a small area boarding and a skim of the ceiling.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 25 November 2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 25 November 2010, 06:15 PM   #18
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
Ive just had a quote for supporting the chimney breast in the loft, its from the builder who built our downstairs extension.

He`s quoted 350 to supply and fit a steel lintel (3.4m) in the loft to support the chimney breast, that includes putting the outside roof right after as the lintel has to go in through the outside roof and it also includes extending 3 roof joists, 2 downstairs and one upstairs and includes scaffolding etc.

I`m happy with that, i`ll be doing the dismantling of the chimney breast myself which looks fairly straight forward once the breast is supported in the loft.

In our area the council won`t allow gallows brackets in adjoining properties, they only allow them in detached houses. To be honest a steel lintel feels the more solid option anyway.

If anyone reads the forum at a later date and needs to know rough costs, these are mine.

Surveyor/engineer calculations cost: 120
Council fees for signing off: 120
Supply and fit steel lintel, extend 3 ceiling joists. 350
Skip 50

Obviously you would have some plastering work to do after but i`m fortunate that i was renovating the downstairs room anyway so thats back to bare walls with the ceiling removed, its just the upstairs ceiling that will need a small area boarding and a skim of the ceiling.
Sounds good,

It may be very sooty, so I would suggest you wear a filter mask, and maybe a disposable boiler suit.
Lastly, there is no way you will get all of the waste in a 50 skip, once broken out the waste will take at least 50% more volume than it does now.
Old 25 November 2010, 09:13 PM   #19
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (30)

How can you get a scaffold included within the 350 price?? the scaffold would cost that much on it own. Plus throw in the cost of a steel in there. Is he doing it for free then??
Old 25 November 2010, 09:55 PM   #20
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_ted View Post
How can you get a scaffold included within the 350 price?? the scaffold would cost that much on it own. Plus throw in the cost of a steel in there. Is he doing it for free then??
The scaffold will be their own, they are a decent sized building company that we used for the extension. Its only going up to lower roof height so they won`t need a lot of scaffolding anyway, its just to get the lintel up to the roof.

The Lintel is only approx 85 as i priced it up roughly myself, your only talking a mornings work so its beer money to them especially in the grand scheme of building work they will normally do, its a very easy way to earn a few quid. I`m doing the real graft myself later in the week once the lintel is in.

The only cost for them is a few lengths of ceiling joists as they are extending 3 joists, it wouldn`t suprise me if they already have the wood anyway plus a bit of cement to set the lintel and joists.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 25 November 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 25 November 2010, 11:42 PM   #21
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (30)

Oh i see, so you are removing the rest afterwards yourself?
Old 27 November 2010, 01:25 PM   #22
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

The steel lintel has now been fitted on the supporting walls.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01 December 2010, 12:18 AM   #23
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I can now see why builders charge between 1,000 - 2,000 to remove and support a chimney breast, today ive removed the upstairs part and two thirds of the downstairs main chimney breast.

Its not to bad taking the breast down, the only awkward part is the interlocking brickwork in the party wall as you have to chisel those off. The most time consuming part is getting all the brickwork and rubble to the skip, their are more bricks than you think.

The biggest tip i have is this, get a very good respirator mask. The paper ones are useless, i started off with those upstairs and in no time i was sneezing and coughing some black soot.

I ended up nipping to screwfix and getting one of these 3M ones

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/...ee-Respirator#

They are superb, they are pricey for a throw away mask but they are worth every penny and very comfy to wear.

Anyway, it keeps you fit and it helps to keep the cost down. The mask will come in handy for the mucky part when i have to wire brush the old soot off the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowvanman View Post
Lastly, there is no way you will get all of the waste in a 50 skip, once broken out the waste will take at least 50% more volume than it does now.
Its going to be close, very close ..... Its a 4 tonne skip, i have approx 70 bricks left, ive been stacking them neatly in the skip to try and maximise the space. At worse i`ll need a midi after.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 01 December 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01 December 2010, 08:43 AM   #24
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
The biggest tip i have is this, get a very good respirator mask. The paper ones are useless, i started off with those upstairs and in no time i was sneezing and coughing some black soot.

Its going to be close, very close ..... Its a 4 tonne skip, i have approx 70 bricks left, ive been stacking them neatly in the skip to try and maximise the space. At worse i`ll need a midi after.
Think I may have already suggested a filter mask.

I should have asked what size skip, locally 50 would prob only get a 2 yrd at best, a 4 would cost around 120.
Old 01 December 2010, 06:09 PM   #25
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowvanman View Post
Think I may have already suggested a filter mask.
Yeh, it was more for the people that may read the thread at a later date for info about removing a chimney breast in that they shouldn`t touch a paper filter mask with a barge pole as they aint upto the job, they need something like i posted above.

Anyway, the entire chimney breast both upstairs and downstairs is now in the skip, i managed to get it in one 4 tonne skip, it will only fit in if you stack the bricks neatly from start to finish.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01 December 2010, 08:28 PM   #26
john_s
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to john_s

I've got to say... that's the neatest filled skip I've ever seen!
john_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2010, 09:54 PM   #27
boomer
Scooby Senior

Aren't (reclaimed) bricks worth a fortune now - could you not wait for the rag-and-bone man to come around and collect them for free (or even pay you)???

mb
Old 02 December 2010, 12:07 AM   #28
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_s View Post
I've got to say... that's the neatest filled skip I've ever seen!
lol ..... Normally i would have been like anyone else and just slung the lot in the skip, i knew from the start it was going to be touch and go whether they would fit into one 4 tonne skip hence the neat stacking to try and get it all in to the one skip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Aren't (reclaimed) bricks worth a fortune now - could you not wait for the rag-and-bone man to come around and collect them for free (or even pay you)???

mb
Not these boomer lol, most are full of black soot with it being a chimney breast.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 02 December 2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02 December 2010, 04:52 PM   #29
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

yellowvanman are you a builder ?

This is open to anyone whose got experience with this, i need some tips on how to remove all the black soot thats left on the walls plus any preperation you need to do afterwards to get the walls for so that they can be battened, i read that any wall thats had a chimney breast in the past needs to be battened because soot can travel through the plaster or dab. Does it need a membrane to go over the area first before its battened ?

Obviously a wire brush is going to be involved, is their anything that can help with getting the soot off ?
Old 02 December 2010, 07:00 PM   #30
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
yellowvanman are you a builder ?

This is open to anyone whose got experience with this, i need some tips on how to remove all the black soot thats left on the walls plus any preperation you need to do afterwards to get the walls for so that they can be battened, i read that any wall thats had a chimney breast in the past needs to be battened because soot can travel through the plaster or dab. Does it need a membrane to go over the area first before its battened ?

Obviously a wire brush is going to be involved, is their anything that can help with getting the soot off ?
If you are battering then just make sure the wall is sufficiently flat, then batten away. if you are mechanically fitting the batten, there is no real need to clean the wall. Dust coming through plaster board is not going to happen.

If you wanted to plaster or dot and dab, then yes the majority of the soot would need to be removed, otherwise you would be trying to adhere to soot, rather than the wall. Once brushed / hoovered, it would then need a stabiliser, or strong pva coat to prepare it for plastering.

And yes, i'm a builder, my company specialises in Interiors, Kitchens, bedrooms, bathrooms, but we regularly do general building works as part of one of these projects.
Old 02 December 2010, 07:00 PM

Tags
brackets, breast, chimley, chimney, cost, distance, gallows, hold, loft, minimum, remove, removing, stack, support, supporting