Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05 February 2010, 02:35   #1
cookstar
Infract-free

Trader Score: (4)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
Default Joining worktops?

I will be fitting a small kitchen in the next few days, and it will involve a 90 degree join in two worktops, now in the past in rental flats I have used the joining strips, however in this one I want to stay away from them.

So the choices are to mitre the two worktops, which I haven't got the first clue how to do, but would very much like to learn as this wont be the last time I'm doing it. So has anyone got any experience in this that they can share?

The other option I was considering was getting square edged worktops and just butt jointing them with some clear silicone in between? Is this sufficient? Both lengths will be on top of cupboards so can be screwed upwards to give some strengthening as well.

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers.
Old 05 February 2010, 09:42   #2
john_s
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to john_s

The joiners at work use a jig similar to this:

Forge Steel Worktop Jig 700mm - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

to give a tidy cut and tight joint.
john_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2010, 10:53   #3
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Trader Score: (4)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

You'll need a worktop jig and a router (1/2 inch, with appropriate bit and guide bush) Provided the kitchen walls are relatively square and you follow the correct procedure it's not a complicated job and will give you far more pleasing finish.
It wouldn't make sense to invest in the kit unless you foresee you fitting a number of worktops (router=350ish jig=150ish bit=20-60ish) as you should be able to get someone in for about 60 a joint.
I would offer but don't think your very local.........and I'm very expensive
madisonmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2010, 12:58   #4
StratosWRC
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
StratosWRC

If this is something youre going to using a number of times get the jig. If its a one off it can be done without a jig quite successfully (to DIY standards ). Cut a 50-70 mm chamfer at 45 deg on deco corner of end piece and cut the mating shape into front of joining piece, get someone to push them together while you run the saw through the join until you get it as perfect as you can. Then cut out slots underneath and fit two W\T joining bolts from B&Q.Give the cut surfaces a good coat of UPVA glue.

Last edited by StratosWRC; 05 February 2010 at 13:01.
StratosWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2010, 19:14   #5
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmonkey View Post
You'll need a worktop jig and a router (1/2 inch, with appropriate bit and guide bush) Provided the kitchen walls are relatively square and you follow the correct procedure it's not a complicated job and will give you far more pleasing finish.
It wouldn't make sense to invest in the kit unless you foresee you fitting a number of worktops (router=350ish jig=150ish bit=20-60ish) as you should be able to get someone in for about 60 a joint.
I would offer but don't think your very local.........and I'm very expensive
Agreed

60 a joint, must remember to revise my costs.
yellowvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2010, 19:16   #6
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_uk View Post
If this is something youre going to using a number of times get the jig. If its a one off it can be done without a jig quite successfully (to DIY standards ). Cut a 50-70 mm chamfer at 45 deg on deco corner of end piece and cut the mating shape into front of joining piece, get someone to push them together while you run the saw through the join until you get it as perfect as you can. Then cut out slots underneath and fit two W\T joining bolts from B&Q.Give the cut surfaces a good coat of UPVA glue.
Sorry, but unless you are very good that will look poor, and you'd be better of with jointing strips.
Old 05 February 2010, 22:52   #7
StratosWRC
Scooby Regular

StratosWRC

OK, if by 'very good' you mean you can cut in a straight line. If not I still wouldn't use joining strips. They look carp and gather carp...

Last edited by StratosWRC; 05 February 2010 at 22:53.
StratosWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2010, 23:43   #8
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_uk View Post
OK, if by 'very good' you mean you can cut in a straight line. If not I still wouldn't use joining strips. They look carp and gather carp...
Maybe it's just the difference between an acceptable DIY job and a professional one?
My company supplies and installs kitchens, so I know how a good mason mitre joint should look. With the correct equipment and a skilled fitter, the joint should be virtually invisible.
If you can obtain that finish with hand tools then I am impressed, but i'm also certain that the majority of DIY'ers will not be able to do that and obtain a professional looking joint.

You pays your money and takes your choice
Old 06 February 2010, 00:34   #9
paul w
Supporting Member

I have just done this myself in my kitchen for the first time,i got a router from b and q for 30 inc the 30mm guide bush, set of bits for a tenner and borrowed a jig from my mates work,i have used various expensive routers before and was well inpressed with the router.

Have a look on you tube and watch it being done so you know exactly what to do,you will need some good clamps,take your time and its not hard,everywhere i go now i look at profesional joints and have not seen one as clean as mine and i am very fussy,my mate who is a house builder was impressed with it.

I would say give it a go if you can use your tools
paul w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 00:36   #10
+Doc+
Scoobyless

Send a message via MSN to +Doc+

Find a local workshop who can do it, if someone popped in with cash we would mason mitre on our CNC for tea money
Alternatively if your not skilled with a router stick with a decent metal jointing strip.
Old 06 February 2010, 00:46   #11
paul w
Supporting Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
paul w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 12:24   #12
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

I've hired all the stuff i the past, as well as paying to et someone to do it.

this last time I bought the stuff from ScrewFix, router (70) Jigg (99) biscuit jointer (20) Bit (20) joining clamps (10)
now done THREE kitchens / work top cuts over a period of 18months-2year
so worth having my own stuff.
secret is to make sure the jigg is held well in place, also read the instruction diagram so you cut the correct side!! lol
AND makesure the BIT is well tight, mine came undun a liitle and made a mess of one edge, re did it and filled the slight miss cut (on the return bend) gap with some black silicone (dark colour worktop) looks fine.
salsa-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 12:31   #13
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (15)

mason mitre from a local timber yard FTW
shouldn't cost the earth but will look the plums.
Anything else will look gash by comparison.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2010, 20:26   #14
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmonkey View Post
It wouldn't make sense to invest in the kit unless you foresee you fitting a number of worktops (router=350ish jig=150ish bit=20-60ish)
There is no way on this earth you need to spend that if you are not doing them everyday.

Direct Power BP1020E 1020W Router - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Unika Budget Worktop Jig - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Titan Kitchen Fitters Set 4Pcs - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Less than 85, might be able to find them cheaper. Take your time on the first one Cookstar, ones after that will be a piece of ****.
Dedrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2010, 20:33   #15
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

DIY worktop fitting with router and jig
Dedrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2010, 22:04   #16
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedrater View Post
Warning: I get an avast "A Virus Was Found!" warning when i click on the above link!

Dunno if anyone else gets one?

mb
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2010, 22:07   #17
boomer
Scooby Senior

Seems to have gone away after downloading the latest AV updates!

mb
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2010, 22:07

Tags
butt, edged, fitting, jig, joining, joint, jointing, kitchen, make, router, square, stick, strips, worktop, worktops