Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 23 April 2008, 09:24   #1
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Default Removing moss on roof.

Is there anything I can use (spray etc) to remove green moss from our sloping tiled roofs?

I probably wouldn't get a ladder and remove it by hand, I would get someone in to do it, but if there was an easy way of removing it by spraying it with some kind of weed killer so it dies and drops off then I would give that a go ? Any ideas?
RoShamBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 15:21   #2
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

I wish there were, the moss on my roofs is getting silly. The pesky blackbirds pull it up hunting for grubs and throw it all over too.

I have an extra problem in that if I killed it all, it would end up blocking my soakaways.

Alcazar

Try here: Kill moss, algae, lichen, mould

It was an ad on your thread
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 16:42   #3
john_s
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to john_s

Not sure how well (or if) it would work, but I'd be tempted to try Jeyes Fluid.
john_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 19:17   #4
Rex93
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)

Would normaly say just scrape/brush it off but not everybody is wanting to move hook ladders about etc etc

Pressure washers are very popular although make sure it is done from the top of the roof down, to reduce the amount of water that may go through. Also may cause lots of damage to the tiles!!

Could try spraying any of the normal fungacidal washes etc and then either let nature take its course or jet it off, giving the fungacidal wash time to do its magic first.

Liquid Plastics Bio-wash is very good and would be my first choice:
http://www.liquidplastics.co.uk/Product.asp?id=210 Not cheap though.

Go for the clear or your roof will have a nice blue tinge to it, although the blue with gold guttering maybe the next big thing
Rex93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2008, 00:00   #5
gussy
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (2)
Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

forget using pressure washers they damage the tiles and push the moss/spores even further under the tiles best thing to use is a mixture of copper sulphate/water sprayed over the moss or if you can stretch a length of copper wire along your ridge tiles that will have the same affect over a perod of time.
gussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2008, 13:50   #6
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)

A long shot but I have been using a product called VIRESCO to kill off Nitrates in my pond. If you kill the Nitrate you starve and kill off algae. I had a chat with the guy that sells it and he has been using the product to kill moss on his patio slabs. He's on the net.

But what's wrong with a bit of moss on the tiles? dl
David Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 16:49   #7
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (5)

We have used Jeyes fluid which worked well.......but any fungicidal wash will have desired effect.The best way is to run 50mm copper strip on either side of ridgeline...not cheap but solves problem for good.

Some tile designs have an interlocking channel which is blocked by growths such as moss etc...but as long as theres not too much growth it rarely becomes a problem.
rooferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 16:49

Tags
au, clay, copper, garage, kill, magic, moss, patio, remove, removing, roof, roofs, strip, tile, tiles, uk