Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 20 November 2007, 20:41   #1
Jes
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default Toilet cistern size UK regulations?

Can someone please tell me what are the regs for the size of cistern you can have. I have heard that you cannot have more than 6 litres. Then someone told me that you can as long as it is a replacement. Which is odd because you could always say it is a replcement. I know we all have to be socially responsible........... and all that , but I reckon it saves water using one 9 lit flush than 2 6 litre flushes (only for big jobs of course!). Some guidence will be welcome. Jes
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2007, 22:07   #2
Mog
Scooby Regular

Evening Jes, how's things. From memory all new installations have to have a 6 lt flush, if you repair or just replace the cistern only it can be the same as the original fitment.

mog
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2007, 22:27   #3
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Replaced bathroom suite at the beginning of this year and the new cistern has a variable flush setting, although it was preset at 6 ltrs. It is now set at 9 ltrs.
scotthldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2007, 23:59   #4
Jes
Scooby Regular

Hi Mog and Scotldr - do I understand this right - I could go into a shop and buy a 9 litre cistern and should anyone ask just say it is for replacing a similar one? Secondly (Scot..) all cisterns have capacity of 9 litres but are just adjusted to 6 litres but can easily be re adjusted to 9 lit. Not very rigid regs then are they 4? or do they rely on people being responsible? Jes
Old 21 November 2007, 06:55   #5
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Depends how old ur house is as too what ltrs ur supposed to use,
Why use 9 ltrs to flush a toilet that only requires 4.6 ltrs to flush? its just a waste of water imho and if ur on a water meter ur paying for something and for its removal for nowt,
If ur house was built in the last 10 years it should only flush 6 ltrs of water.
scoobynewbie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 21:47   #6
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Send a message via MSN to wrxcraig

Buy the Dudley Turbo syphon and can be adjusted from 6lt to 9ltr and have the internal O/F including blanking plate for original nasty O/F, but on normal bog standard cisterns come with a 6ltr flush.
wrxcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2007, 00:21   #7
Jes
Scooby Regular

This is very confusing! I'll tell you why. A plumber I know told me if you are putting in a new pan and cistern, it can only be 6 litres. it is illegal to fit a 9 litre cistern - infact you cannot buy it. Then he said if you are replacing a broken 9 litre cistern to match the existing pan you can get a 9 litre cistern! From the previous posts I conclude that the capacity of the cisterns is more than 6 litres (could be 9) but it is the adjustment on the syphon that restricts the water level to 6 litres. Am I right to assume that I can buy a new pan and cistern whose actual capacity is say 9 litres (although it may be fitted with a syphon that only allows 6 litres) and then fit it with this Dudley syphon which WRXCraig suggests to make it into a 9 litre job? I fully understand the need to be responsible and save water - I just like to know! Jes
Old 29 November 2007, 08:30   #8
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Send a message via MSN to wrxcraig

9 Ltrs isnt illegal, well i been plumbing for 9yrs and never heard of that but the recommendation is 6ltrs due to water wastage, but you can get a cistern that comes with the Dudley Turbo syphon.
wrxcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2007, 14:54   #9
Jes
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this lin of the Environment agency under New WC - it states the new regs since 2001. Jes

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...wcs_890010.pdf
Old 29 November 2007, 14:54

Tags
capacity, cistern, cisterns, england, recommendation, regulations, replacing, size, sized, sizes, standard, toilet, toiletuk, uk, wc