Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 23 September 2007, 22:32   #1
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Question Gas Hob installation ?

Guys,
got a new hob but don't want to use a bayonet hose as this would be too big to fit behind the cooker. Manufacturers instructions say you can use a "flexible steel pipe" but I have not seen any of these around so I may have to get a gas engineer in to put in a 30cm long fixed pipe. How much do you reckon this would cost in Surrey ?

Nice picture of the job in hand incase someone on here is Corgi registered and fancies an hours work.....

Click the image to open in full size.
DanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 15:27   #2
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Apparently it's illegal to use a flexible hose behind a cooker anyway........

Alcazar
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 17:35   #3
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

I don't know where you got that from, fixed cooker hobs may be installed using a flexible hose, providing this is approved by the appliance manufacturer, or so say Corgi.

Does not help me in this case unless I bend the pipe with the bayonet hose socket back into the wall, not the prefered way.....
Old 24 September 2007, 19:30   #4
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar View Post
Apparently it's illegal to use a flexible hose behind a cooker anyway........

Alcazar
All free standing gas cookers/ranges have flexible pipes behind them?

My corgi engineer insists that hobs are hard piped, flexible connection to hobs does not comply with corgi regulations.

I have asked why it is ok to connect a moveable free standing cooker with a flexible, but not acceptable to connect a fixed hob, as surely there is more risk with the moveable item. But he cannot give me a valid technical reason, just states the corgi requirement for hobs to be hard piped.
yellowvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 20:00   #5
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Send a message via MSN to wrxcraig

For a gas hob you have to have an emergency shut off valve, so i would channel out the gas pipe so you can cut the pipe, attach a 15mm endfeed isolator, then use 10mm copper pipe to feed the hob.
wrxcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2007, 15:00   #6
Devildog
Responsible Rottie Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowvanman View Post
All free standing gas cookers/ranges have flexible pipes behind them?

My corgi engineer insists that hobs are hard piped, flexible connection to hobs does not comply with corgi regulations.

I have asked why it is ok to connect a moveable free standing cooker with a flexible, but not acceptable to connect a fixed hob, as surely there is more risk with the moveable item. But he cannot give me a valid technical reason, just states the corgi requirement for hobs to be hard piped.
I believe its so that if you move the free standing cooker the flexi pipe does just that, flexes, rather than the isk of a fracture or broken joint

Not to mention the fact that connecting rigid pipework behind a free standing cooker could be a nightmare.

Makes sense if you think about it
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2007, 15:13   #7
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I believe its so that if you move the free standing cooker the flexi pipe does just that, flexes, rather than the isk of a fracture or broken joint

Not to mention the fact that connecting rigid pipework behind a free standing cooker could be a nightmare.

Makes sense if you think about it
Read my post again

It is as you say pretty obvious why a movable appliance is flexibly connected.
Old 25 September 2007, 16:13   #8
Devildog
Responsible Rottie Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowvanman View Post
Read my post again

It is as you say pretty obvious why a movable appliance is flexibly connected.
Sorry mate, we all make mistakes

No need for the "rolleyes"
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2007, 19:37   #9
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Sorry mate, we all make mistakes

No need for the "rolleyes"
Old 26 September 2007, 20:01   #10
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Gas hob MUST be connected using metal/copper rigid pipework. It is illegal to install with a flexible rubber hose/bayonet.

You gas connection needs to be altered, the bayonet fitting needs removin, and inline gas valve must be fitted and then copper/metal pipe to the hob.

Bob
4X4BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 20:23   #11
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Bob I aggree your method is exactly what I want to have done in this case, I'm waiting for 5 local gas engineers to return my calls & emails.

But your statement about it being illegal to use a flexible hose is contradictory to the Corgi rules, they say it's ok if the manufacturers installation instructions allow it.
Old 26 September 2007, 21:45   #12
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Ok, I'll rephrase it to be more accurate . . . .

It is illegal to connect a gas hob with a rubber flexible hose when the hob is installed ABOVE an oven or other appliance giving rise to temps in excess of 70 deg C.

If the hob was to be above a kitchen cupboard, for example, then that is different.

Whatever the case, it must have an inline isolation device.

Not a qualified plumber myself, but I do a lot of house refurbs and employ a corgi guy (friend) and have learnt my stuff from him.

Bob
4X4BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2007, 22:13   #13
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Sorted it, only 50 for a Corgi gas man to install the fixed pipe, was pleasantly surprised !
Old 12 October 2007, 22:13

Tags
15mm, conect, connect, connecting, connections, cooker, feed, flexi, gas, hob, hobs, install, installation, pipe, valve