Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04 March 2007, 17:48   #1
ismail
Scooby Newbie

Trader Score: (0)
Default how does a F&E tank work?

Hi Folks,
I'm looking into installing a DPS GXV 250 litre which uses a F&E which I shall have in the loft.

Am I correct in thinking that when the water in the system (for DHW and CH) is heated up and it expands, any surplus will go up from the heat bank/cylinder and into the expansion tank and when it cools down, it shall feed back into the primary system?

I'm asking this so I know that it's always the same amount of water in the primary system and so I know how much inhibitor it should contain.

Also, how large does the F&E tank need to be and is it generally covered to prevent evaporation?

Thank you kindly
ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 00:37   #2
Mog
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismail View Post
Hi Folks,
I'm looking into installing a DPS GXV 250 litre which uses a F&E which I shall have in the loft.

Am I correct in thinking that when the water in the system (for DHW and CH) is heated up and it expands, any surplus will go up from the heat bank/cylinder and into the expansion tank and when it cools down, it shall feed back into the primary system?

I'm asking this so I know that it's always the same amount of water in the primary system and so I know how much inhibitor it should contain.

Also, how large does the F&E tank need to be and is it generally covered to prevent evaporation?

Thank you kindly
To be honest the content of your question really shows your lack of knowledge and safety comes into it, get a professional to install...no insult intended.

Mog
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2007, 00:11   #3
ismail
Scooby Newbie

I guess I should have been more clearer. I am not planning to install it myself but have someone install it for me. No insult taken since my post wasn't exactly clear on this.

One of the main reasons I'm asking this question is to ensure I have a passing knowledge of some things, not as an expert, but enough to know at a high level what I'm having installed and will be using.

I guess a good analogy would be with a car: it's good to know how to check the engine oil level or the water in the radiator even though you don't know all the details and wouldn't try to fix things (not me anyway).

thanks and regards.
Old 08 March 2007, 18:41   #4
ismail
Scooby Newbie

Can anyone confirm if my understanding of feed and expansions tank is correct or not? Much appreciated
Old 09 March 2007, 19:07   #5
Butty
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

You are pretty well correct.
F & E tanks now have to be installed more or less as per cold water supply tanks (for backflow prevention and insulation), but don't need the lid to be close fitting with a vent or have a screened overflow.
Sizing is more to do with what the plumber can get hold of to fit the space - usually 25 litres.

Hot water flowing into the F & E tank is usually a sign of a system problem - the expansion should be contained in the pipework leading to the F & E tank.

Nick
Butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2007, 19:07

Tags
banks, dps, ev, fe, full, gxv, gxv250, heat, heating, recognise, sizing, system, tank, tanks, water