Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 26 August 2006, 21:50   #1
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Send a message via MSN to Dazza's-STi
Default hit a gas pipe whats the correct depth & protection

Whilst digging out the back yard we hit a gas pipe today unbeleivebly the mucking forons has installed it 8 1/2" deep and although the pipe was encased in the usual yellow plastic protection the joint was stuck up with a black cap with fookall protection even after we hit it gently with the shovel we couldn't see the thing... how stupid is that...
Question is should the pipe have been fully protected, how deep should it have been and where do we stand in terms of paying for them to pop a new joint on... its split the pipe on the elbo joint so a pretty simple repair although they didn;'t have the part with them today, have to wait till tuesday... its gobboed up at the moment...

any ideas???

cheers daz
Dazza's-STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2006, 23:08   #2
john_s
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to john_s

I've probably got the specification at work for the correct depth, but at a guess I'd say a minimum of 450mm to the top of the pipe. It's usual to put plastic tape over and sand around pipes and cables so it's obvious there's something there when digging near them.

John.
john_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2006, 23:11   #3
hectic
Scooby Regular

whenever we bury coaxial cables .. its 18" standard.. would have thought it was that or more for gas/leccy etc...
hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2006, 23:30   #4
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Depends how old the house is, our gas main is as high as 6" in places along our boader and doesn't have any colour coding. It's been there nigh on 40years though.

We had some fencers putting posts in and as they were furiously digging, I kept reminded them about the gas main there and it's only a spades depth down...they kept reply "yeah yeah, whatever you say mate".

Till one hit it , Luckily no damage. But his reply was f**k me yow weren't kidding were ya?

To my eloquant reply: No sh*t, why TF did you think I kept warning you?
Shark Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2006, 23:35   #5
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Service pipes should have a minimum depth of cover of 375 mm in private ground and 450 mm in footpaths and highways.

A gas main should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of 750 mm in a road or verge and 600 mm in a footpath.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/supply/faqs.htm << for more info
John@TunerUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2006, 02:27   #6
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Guys who did our gas conversion a couple of years back insisted that they had to go below 900mm if the were using the mole as there would be no yellow tape in the ground. Mole eventually hit some hard stuff, so they dug a trench and buried the pipes at about 600mm with yellow tape at 550 mm and 300mm. Given that they moaned through every shovelful I wouldn't think they did anything more than the minimum reuirement
fast bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2006, 08:51   #7
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

www.facebook.com/therealflc DanPlaysKeys
Send a message via MSN to ScoobyDoo555

Same happened to us (we've bought the house that Jack's dipsh1t a$$hole of a thick-tw@tted in-bred brother built!!! )

Too many issues to list, but suffice to say that 15K extra and 6 yrs later, we've nearly undone all the hidden damage that we found. (solicitor, building society and all the people who you "employ" to sort this suddenly put their hands up and ran away!! )

Does this make me sound bitter?

Anyhoo, had the back patio dug up. After going through 3 layers of patio slabs (yee haa, ride em cowboy!), the builder must have been wearing is lucky rabbit's foot. As the spade went in, a nice yellow pipe came up with the rubble

Luckly, undamaged. Looks like the bodgers had moved the gas meter to a different part of the house (probably without telling British Gas!)......

Again, this was literally below the patio slabs.

Great fun though, isn't it?

Good luck getting it sorted quickly

Dan
ScoobyDoo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2006, 09:22   #8
stevebt
600bhp'ish

Trader Score: (8)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

as long as its your house and your not a contractor doing the work for someone, the rapair will be free. i done similar a few years ago as i had a gas pipe running thru some tree roots and it was a tree i was chopping down. i was using an axe on the roots but realised it was something else i was chopping into the gas board came around after i phoned them and said i smelt gas !!! they tried to get me to say a contractor had done it as i was getting my drive done at the time but i insisted it was me and the repair was odne for free
stevebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2006, 12:43   #9
Chip
CYMRU AM BYTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@TunerUK
Service pipes should have a minimum depth of cover of 375 mm in private ground and 450 mm in footpaths and highways.

A gas main should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of 750 mm in a road or verge and 600 mm in a footpath.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/supply/faqs.htm << for more info
100% correct.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2006, 12:43

Tags
board, buried, bury, deep, depth, digging, drive, gas, ground, hit, pipe, pipes, pips, propane, terirpist