Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 16 May 2005, 09:37 AM   #1
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Default Do I need a twin dimmer ??

I have 2 light switches at both ends of the landing - both single switches that switch on the 3 wall lights together, on/off.
I want to fit a dimmer & took the switch off last night.
There are 2 groups of wires coming into the switch, red/earth/blue/yellow in each group.
Reds are together & blanked off.
Earths are together & earthed
1 blue & 1 yellow go into 2 L1 points
1 blue & 1 yellow go into 2 L2 points

Do I need a twin dimmer ? Or a single dimmer on each switch ? If so can anyone say how they should be wired (same goes if a single dimmer will do)
I want to be able to dimm/turn on/off all 3 lights together, not separate, though dont mind if i do need a double dimmer & can operate them independantly.

Cheers

R.
RoShamBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 03:02 PM   #2
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)

hmmm

Do they currently operate in a full 2way style. I.e. regardless of whether the light is currently on/off, either switch will turn the light on (if its off) or off (if its on) ?

Do the 2 switches look like the diagrams on here ?
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm

Your description sounds like the middle switch of a 3-way setup :~
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 03:40 PM   #3
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Send a message via MSN to David_Wallis

Quote:
Your description sounds like the middle switch of a 3-way setup :~
no it doesn't. Technically speaking the middle of a three way setup is an intermediate switch, but I know what your getting at
David_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2005, 03:08 PM   #4
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

On that website, there is a block of 5 colour diagrams near the bottom. My switch is exactly like the one second from bottom of that block of 5, so a 3 way.
Yes either switch will turn the lights on/off.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:24 PM   #5
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Ahhh actually one of them does, the other one at the other end of the hall I dont know cos I didn't remove it. That one is a twin switch, one side operates the above mentioned lights, on/off just like the single switch, & the other side operates a light in a side closet.
The light in the side closet, operated by one side of the twin switch, is basic on/off just from that one switch, no other switch operates that light.
My head is hurting now.
Old 18 May 2005, 07:16 PM   #6
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

On a 2 way circuit you only replace one of the switches with a dimmer, in your case replace the one gang switch, the terminal markings on the dimmer, should be the same as the old switch that came off.
sparkykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2005, 01:05 AM   #7
Dalthegooner
Scooby Regular

Default Where to fit the dimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShamBo
I have 2 light switches at both ends of the landing - both single switches that switch on the 3 wall lights together, on/off.
I want to fit a dimmer & took the switch off last night.
There are 2 groups of wires coming into the switch, red/earth/blue/yellow in each group.
Reds are together & blanked off.
Earths are together & earthed
1 blue & 1 yellow go into 2 L1 points
1 blue & 1 yellow go into 2 L2 points

Do I need a twin dimmer ? Or a single dimmer on each switch ? If so can anyone say how they should be wired (same goes if a single dimmer will do)
I want to be able to dimm/turn on/off all 3 lights together, not separate, though dont mind if i do need a double dimmer & can operate them independantly.

Cheers

R.
Is there a third swich that controls these lights down/upstairs maybe as the connections you explain are for an intermediate switch and you can't fit a dimmer on an intermediate switch. You will be able to fit one at the other end of the landing, either a two gang dimmer which will allow you to dim the wall lights and the cupboard light or a grid switch (You buy the individual switches and front plate and fit them together, Its easier than it sounds) with a dimmer for the wall light and a one way switch for the cupboard light
Dalthegooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2005, 01:05 AM