Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06 December 2004, 18:10   #1
Jye
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Unhappy Unblocking drain - from roof gutter

I've been meaning to clean our gutters for months (years?) now, and as predicted my procrastination has resulted in a small drain running from a roof section into the ground becoming blocked with silt, mud, whatever.

I took the drain pipe apart and tried rodding it with standard drainage rods but the pipe seems to have a right angle that the rod wonít go around (4Ē pipe). I've tried rodding it from the other end, but again the rod wont go round (what seems to be) a right angled bend.

I really hate being ripped off and always think the worse of plumbers etc. Iíve had a few real dodgy ones in the past and this has made me overly suspicious. I end up hovering over them with a stopwatch my blood boiling when they faff about sucking air between their teeth, telling you how difficult (costly) a job it's going to be.

I'm loath to call out Dyno Rod (or whoever) at £100 minimum plus whatever they can try and rip me off for, extra men (£22 hr + VAT) and materials blah blah. Does anyone think Dyno Rod are any good? Are they trustworthy? I imagine them turning up mob handed with a CTV drain kit then telling me my entire drainage system needs replaced that will be £1000 please

As Iíve a Karcher I thought about one of those drain unblocker attachments, but again at £50 quid I'm not sure it would even work with this particular blockage. Has anyone tried this?

tia

cynical Jye
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2004, 18:13   #2
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Can you get to the obstruction with a coat hanger? If so, the narrower gauge might get through the muck although I'm still p*ssing myself at the image of someone giving their drain a "rodding".
Flatcapdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2004, 18:18   #3
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Is it running from a section of the gutter now or leaking out of a downpipe?
gsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2004, 21:14   #4
Jye
Scooby Regular

Hehe, Flatcap I believe 'Rodding' is a highly technical term used by people like myself who know sfa about drains The blockage seems to be about 2 ft below ground level so I doubt a coathanger would make it, perhaps a longer piece of similarly guaged wire would do, but I'd still be concerned that unless it was quite springy it would still snag on the right angled bend.

gsm it was running over the gutter, that's what gave me a clue that it was blocked, then it was running all over me as I proceded to take the downpipe off
Old 06 December 2004, 22:54   #5
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Ok, just wondering because if it was falling from the gutter that could mean just the gutter was blocked along its course not necessarily the downpipe.

If it's the downpipe you could just try and give it a blast with the Karcher. I've unblocked the the drain in a manhole by giving it a blast with a Karcher without any fancy attachments. Sorted in seconds.

Alternative is this flexible drain rod set - you just screw them together to extend:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...14843&ts=73371
Old 07 December 2004, 09:07   #6
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thanks gsm but those are the drainage rods I've got. I'll give the Karcher a go but it looks like Dyno Rod
Old 08 December 2004, 11:13   #7
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

I got the Karcher attachment, 75 euros for the 15m one. Sodding rip-off for a simple length of hose plus a funky brass bit at each end, but I have now used it 3 times, and at 90 euros for a callout, it's paid for itself.

One thing it didn't do was unblock the garage-to-drain pipe (barely 2m of vertical drop, with funny angle at top). This was acceptable as the cause of the blockage was a plastic mesh ball that sat in the top of the drain to stop leaves entering, yet somehow had managed to ram itself partway down the pipe. Luckily not too far, so I hooked it with a coat-hanger and pulled it back out. This was the first time I'd used aforesaid attachment, and I was mighty peeved that it didn't work. But there I had a guess at what was causing the blockage, so could sort it - if I'd just sat there frustrated, it wouldn't have been so cool.

If you have some garden hose, try rodding it with that - it goes round bends (you might have to do something with the end) but is stiff enough to poke.
Brendan Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2004, 12:10   #8
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Before you call Dyno Road have a look under any manhole covers to make sure it isn't backed up there. That may provide a point to rod from as well.
Old 08 December 2004, 14:10   #9
richardg
Scooby Regular

sounds like you may have to dig it up and to investigate. if you do, then the replacement of the blocked sections is probably about as easy as unblocking. if you do dig it up, then make sure you add a rodding eye (angled downstream!) to enable you to gain future access if you have the same problem again.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2004, 14:10

Tags
downpipe, drain, drainage, drainpipe, forum, gutter, gutters, pipe, rod, rodder, sale, thin, unblock, unblocked, unblocking