Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VPN client routers

Old 24 December 2016, 03:26 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default VPN client routers

Who uses one and can you connect to your normal isp network and the vpn network at the same time on different devices?
Old 29 December 2016, 10:33 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you are referring to is 'split tunnelling', but it is not entirely clear what you mean by VPN in the original post.

Do you mean having your own concentrator to which you establish an ipsec tunnel which allows secure access to your own network, or do you mean VPN subscriber services used mainly for anonymity?

Depending on what you intend to use the VPN for, you need to be careful with your setup - if for example you were intending to use VPN tunnelling for privacy, you want to ensure there is no dns leakage outside the tunnel.

If you are buying a subscription service from one of the public VPN service providers, I dont think those will support split tunnelling, many of these come with 'kill switch' which disables all internet access if the tunnel is not established.
Old 30 December 2016, 10:00 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The router is so I can use a paid for service such as Express vpn. I have since found out I can run two routers so I can use one for vpn and keep my original setup. The choice is which router now as if I'm buying a new one I will probably go Tri band.
Old 31 December 2016, 05:41 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Get a powerful one as in cpu wise. If you get something with high security it takes it toll on the cpu to encrypt and decrypt everything.
Old 05 January 2017, 06:59 PM
JJG
Scooby Regular

I'm a network and wireless engineer by trade (Cisco). There is some assumption here.

Sorry for the long reply too :-)

Are you talking IPSEC VPN or SSL VPN??

Both will work but would help if you could clarify. Basically, you'd need two local IP subnets, one subnet would be your normal internet traffic while the other is destined for the VPN. On the router you tell it what's interesting traffic for the VPN, this being the VPN subnet and this should bring up the VPN and route as needed. As the other subnet is not interesting traffic as far as the VPN is concerned this would simply route over the internet.

Like has been said you'll need a pretty top notch firewall/router so wont be cheap. Most more higher end firewalls will have what's known as ASIC specifically for VPN. Having a firewall using it's main CPU for encrypting and decrypting will soon have you will slow traffic.
Old 05 January 2017, 07:55 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look at the link below, they all support Express VPN and other VPN providers, just depends how much you want to spend and what flavor of firmware you prefer. . .any devices connected to your ISP router will have unencrypted internet and any devices connected to one of the Express VPN routers will be encrypted . .just a case of flipping between the two for wifi devices and moving a cable for wired.

https://vpn-router.co.uk/collections...ss-vpn-routers

Last edited by CharlesTuna; 05 January 2017 at 08:06 PM.

Search this Thread