Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Nest

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2016, 02:13 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Nest

Just ordered one. I've had my eye on them for years, took the plunge last night when my current wifi thermostat failed on again, it's been brilliant but it's well over 10 years old.

Anyone have one?
Old 20 November 2016, 06:07 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

This could technically get me banned but here goes. There's not a lot of love for Apple at Nest. Interesting story, but I'd rather have HomeKit integration.
Old 20 November 2016, 07:48 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why apple no likey Nest?

I've been running the stat + smoke detectors for a couple of years without incident.
Old 20 November 2016, 08:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Bloke works for Apple, did a great job on the iPod, went on his own made the Nest, Google buy Nest, company turns to ****, bloke leaves Nest. Something like that.
Old 20 November 2016, 09:22 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

HAve you taken a look at the latest EcoBee model? I think I would be swayed towards it over the Nest product.

Decent write up in the link below;

https://www.cnet.com/news/move-over-...et-smart-home/
Old 20 November 2016, 11:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I did. Nest have updated since that review which tightened the gap If my system was a bit fancier I may well have bought the ecobee.
Old 21 November 2016, 07:50 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm running EVOhome, did look at Nest but it didn't have the zone control that EVOhome did (without requiring major re-plumbing). I think all these products have the initial concept right but the reality is they an be frustratingly limited. Even so it's good stuff like this is finally becoming mainstream.

They've just introduced IFFIT applets for the EVOhome, again good ideas but nothing yet practical or useable for my situation, although it does have Amazon Alexa capability, in theory I could have remote voice control...bets on it working though

Btw the phone is auto-capitalising the evo bit, don't know why...does the dictionary have trademarked brands in it? LOL.

What I'm looking at now is bringing the home alarm into this century by making it Internet and smartphone enabled....the crux is I want a wired system for the PIRs and base station, otherwise I'll be buying shares in Duracell with the number of wireless battery operated controls and sensor I have!

Whilst there is Nest and Verisure etc. (we have the latter in Spain, under a fully maintained and monitored contact- excellent bit of kit). These are wireless systems and I don't want that....I already have to change 16 AA batteries every year to maintain the heating, that's enough on its own!

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 November 2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 21 November 2016, 09:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Installing a Next camera for a friend helped me to decide on the Nest, the software and hardware work well. It's not battery, though I'm pretty sure you can get those, it is Wifi.

Smoke alarm next toy money allowing.
Old 21 November 2016, 12:35 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Smoke alarms are quite nice. If you have multiple in a property, they talk to each other and test automatically.

They run on AA batteries - I've not had to change them yet (two years in)
Old 21 November 2016, 02:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Good to hear, I'll start saving.
Old 22 November 2016, 12:38 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I liked the idea of the nightlight that comes on automatically if motion is detected by the Nest smoke alarm but ultimately I couldn't justify £100 odd for a smoke alarm. The automatic testing and sending alerts to your mobile etc sounds great but in all likelihood I'll go my entire life without the house burning down (fingers crossed)

I replaced our old Honeywell thermostat with a digital one which works much better. The temperature seems just constant now rather than dropping then heating up then dropping again. So I never really touch the thermostat now. I would like an IP enabled thermostat but will probably just do it when the boiler is replaced. I don't think I'd really make much use of the features.

I was round at my brothers the other day and noticed he has a Wifi enabled kettle now. Until they can make the kettle top itself up with water I don't really see the point

I must sound like a techno phobe but actually it's the complete opposite. I just have to be able to see the benefits from spending the money.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:17 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got Hive at home/Wales, easy to use & does what it says on the tin. In Wales I have it controlling HW & Heating, plus another Heating Zone. Going to add in another HW & Heating to control the rental which "should" be just in range. Means I can set heating requirements from London before I leave and run minimal when I'm not there. Just adding an LED light which I can run on a timetable to give impression of occupancy. There are a few other attachments you can add but not concerned about them at this time (sensor, plug etc).

For video using Hikvision cameras - again perfect & simple, see Ali-B's mega thread.

Alarm wise, www.texe.com At home I have a main panel with an IP interface and a SMS module. This allows remote access to all functions via their Apps and SMS messaging in case of alerts. You can also set up emails obviously. Panels allow X10 & other external inputs/outputs. On this I am running wired door/window/PIR sensors + a variety of smoke/heat sensors (building control insisted on 1 per room when we did loft extension!) and I have a Wireless module that I then have covering the garden shed and garage in different zones. Very flexible and totally reliable. Can be programmed via a computer. Doing a similar setup in Wales this weekend and no, I am not an alarm installer but borrowing Huxley who is! Saying that, any competent person could wire these up from the instructions, I did half the home install.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nice! I have an alarm that I'm pretty sure I can upgrade to do other tricks, will have to have a good look.
Old 23 November 2016, 01:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nest arrived today, very nice piece of kit. Now I have to see if I can wait 7 days for the installer or have a go and let him fix it
Old 23 November 2016, 01:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Should get money back by 2020 , if you don't move
Old 23 November 2016, 02:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
Should get money back by 2020 , if you don't move
Happy Days. My current wifi thermostat has been in for 15 years, it cost a lot more though if I remember correctly.
Old 23 November 2016, 04:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I'm slightly disbelieving this was even possible 15 years ago
Old 23 November 2016, 05:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
I'm slightly disbelieving this was even possible 15 years ago
It's not internet enabled, I can just move it room to room, early internet enabled devices were awful, lots out there still are.
Old 23 November 2016, 09:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

For video using Hikvision cameras - again perfect & simple, see Ali-B's mega thread.

Alarm wise, www.texe.com At home I have a main panel with an IP interface and a SMS module. This allows remote access to all functions via their Apps and SMS messaging in case of alerts. You can also set up emails obviously. Panels allow X10 & other external inputs/outputs. On this I am running wired door/window/PIR sensors + a variety of smoke/heat sensors (building control insisted on 1 per room when we did loft extension!) and I have a Wireless module that I then have covering the garden shed and garage in different zones. Very flexible and totally reliable. Can be programmed via a computer.
Out of interest, puff. What model Texecom is it? It'll help me narrow it down when looking through their kit as they do so many different models. Can you use a remote keyfob to set/unset the system? The plan is to have the garage alarmed, and have a electric door opener, so will need to remotely set/unset the system...although first I need to clear enough space to fit the car in there

Just ordered a 3rd NVR for mum's office, along with some 4MP EXIR turrets. Now looking into the Hikvision IP door video intercoms...got a supplier researching the compatibility with the existing NVRs as Hikvision's marketing blurb is more vague than normal
Old 24 November 2016, 09:59 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I need to upgrade my alarm since the current one is the best part of 25 years old Works great, but I'd like it to be a bit more smart. Currently looking at Risco which has been recommended by the security & tech firms we use.

I use Hive, Philips Hue, Foscam cameras and TP-Link sockets which are all great. Currently tinkering with Home Assistant on my Synology NAS to link it all up.
Old 24 November 2016, 01:48 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Out of interest, puff. What model Texecom is it? It'll help me narrow it down when looking through their kit as they do so many different models. Can you use a remote keyfob to set/unset the system? The plan is to have the garage alarmed, and have a electric door opener, so will need to remotely set/unset the system...although first I need to clear enough space to fit the car in there
Elite48. Its got 4 zones as standard.

Three options on remote (with my setup).
- SMS to arm/disarm all/separate zones
- App on iPhone - 3 different ones but arm/disarm is part
- There's a fob which interacts with the Richochet Wireless (so needs to be in range ie at home)

You can probably with the i/o trigger your garage to open when alarm unset and close when you set it.
Old 25 November 2016, 08:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Bit of a **** if you've lost phone signal whilst on your travels home ?!
Old 25 November 2016, 11:23 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

or can you 'call' it from a payphone ?
Old 25 November 2016, 11:54 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Keypad inside the house is normal.
Old 28 November 2016, 01:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I suppose anything related to security being internet enabled is cheaper than having millions of keys cut to your home to give out to people.
Old 28 November 2016, 05:59 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Installed the alarm & smokes, took a bit longer than anticipated as the house is not given to easy cable runs but all done. Did cameras at the same time, so now in remote heaven & I just love seeing the view in Wales when I'm stuck at work
Old 02 December 2016, 09:09 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Fitted in minutes with no drama, all apps very nicely done, two thumbs up from me. Turning on your hot water from your watch is very geeky.
Old 02 December 2016, 11:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Why wouldn't you have it on anyway , this time year

Last edited by dpb; 02 December 2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02 December 2016, 11:43 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Well, I don't live in Wales 24/7 unfortunately, so no point heating HW when I'm not there is there?

But I might decide to go down this afternoon, so can switch it on and have it nice & hot for when I get there
Old 02 December 2016, 12:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I meant the water heating off the central heating