Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Samsung scraps the Note 7

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2016, 08:01 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Banter is banter and everyone likes a bit of banter, but TP is 400+ posts on the same thing.

Everyone can clearly see that JC etc are winding him up apart from him lol. Taking it all a little too seriously lol
(3) People here are too dumb to understand anything.

As for Jack its clear he is a troll (what happened to that poll i posted...).

He is a troll because his love of Apple blinds him from listening to anything else said by anyone. Apple is always king

neil is an idiot who thinks he knows stuff and the texas guy watched too much house MD.

Here is a breakdown of parts on the iPhone 6, the iPhone 7 will paint a similar picture.

They are dependant on an array of suppliers and hardly make anything themselves, most fanboys would probably be surprised to hear Apple make less than 30% of the product themselves.

Accelerometer: Bosch in Germany. Invensense in the United States.
Audio Chipsets and Codec: Cirrus Logic in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
Baseband processor: Qualcomm in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
Batteries: Samsung in South Korea. Huizhou Desay Battery in China.
Cameras: Sony in Japan. OmniVision in the United States produces the front-facing FaceTime camera chip but subcontracts TMSC (in Taiwan) for manufacturing.
Chipsets and Processors: Samsung in South Korea and TSMC in Taiwan. Alongside their partner GlobalFoundries in the United States.
Controller Chips: PMC Sierra and Broadcom Corp in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
Display: Japan Display and Sharp in Japan. LG Display in South Korea.
DRAM: TSMC in Taiwan. SK Hynix in South Korea.
eCompass: Alps Electric in Japan.
Fingerprint sensor authentication: Authentec makes it in China but outsources it to Taiwan for manufacturing.
Flash memory: Toshiba in Japan and Samsung in South Korea.
Gyroscope: STMicroelectronics in France and Italy.
Inductor coils (audio): TDK in Japan.
Main Chassis Assembly: Foxconn and Pegatron in China.
Mixed-signal chips (such as NFC): NXP in Netherlands.
Plastic Constructions (for the iPhone 5c): Hi-P and Green Point in Singapore.
Radio Frequency Modules: Win Semiconductors (module manufacturers Avago and RF Micro Devices) in Taiwan. Avago technologies and TriQuint Semiconductor in the United States. Qualcomm in the United States for LTE connectivity.
Screen and Glass (for the display): Corning (Gorilla Glass) in the United States. GT Advanced Technologies produces the sapphire crystals in the screens.
Semiconductors: Texas Instruments, Fairchild and Maxim Integrated in the United States.
Touch ID sensor: TSMC and Xintec in Taiwan.
Touchscreen Controller: Broadcom in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
Transmitter and Amplification Modules: Skyworks and Qorvo in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).

Jacks favourite device, you can see the whopping mark up and it doesnt even hold value against its competitor it seems going by a search on ebay (pictures posted recently). Jack was blabbing on about Apple stuff going for 100s more than others out there.

and again here...

Apple iPhone 6S Plus- Huge 64GB - Rose Gold Edition - EE/Virgin - ONLY £390 - Box included!!! Southampton, Hampshire
galaxy note 5 Gold 64GB UNLOCKED |
£450.00 Buy it now| Item location:
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
According to research firm IHS, the iPhone 6s Plus (Apple's current flagship phone, at the time of writing) costs Apple $236 to manufacture (once manufacturing costs are added), whilst it retails at over three times the price at $749 for the 16GB model. What's even more interesting to note is the extra storage found in the 64GB model costs Apple around $17 extra to make, while it charges its customers an extra $100 for the extra storage space.

I think this boils down to fanboys absorbing the extra cost no matter what, the way Apple omit memory cards is an ideal example. Why sell an iphone 7 with a sd card when we can sell a 256GB one for £1k

Apple is quite simply one of the most successful companies of our times, and yet it barely manufactures its own products and still manages to sell them for a higher price, despite often featuring slightly lower hardware specifications.

Last edited by toffee_pie; 20 October 2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 20 October 2016, 08:09 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Go on then, I'll wait...
Still waiting...
Old 20 October 2016, 08:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU
Funny you should mention planes!
I flew to and from Barcelona last week and as part of the safety spiel any passengers with a Galaxy Note 7 were asked to make sure it was turned off!!
It got worse, now not allowed, Samsung have set up booths to hand them in.
Old 20 October 2016, 08:18 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Originally Posted by bioforger
Well i'm also guilty of that for banters sake with office colleagues and friends who have them, but i don't think i or TP would take it that far I'd have to attack myself as i have an iphone for work, JC on the other hand
Na, people at work have iPhones.

but I have not seen a new iphone 7 anywhere, iPhone 6 is all I see and a few owners of them have glanced admiringly at my S7 edge more than once.

Girl next to me has an iPhone 6 and the screen got broken a week after she got it repaired, shoddy.....

was reading about siri also in a recent review of the pixel, seems useless compared to ok google

it seems Apple have an excuse on this

Unlike Google, Facebook, and other tech companies that make money from advertising, Apple doesn’t collect your personal data because it doesn’t need to. It makes money by selling you (*over priced) hardware and getting you to sign up for monthly subscription services like iCloud storage and Apple Music, among other revenue generators. That means most everything about you is stored on the device, which makes it harder for Apple to access the information it would need for Siri to serve up tailored information. Harder, but not impossible. My credit card information is stored in Apple Pay and I have location services turned on, so why can’t Siri order an Uber for me or buy movie tickets from my nearest theater?
Sorry, I dont want over priced hardware and dont want to sign up to Apple services or facilities. I can get by just fine as it is

Last edited by toffee_pie; 20 October 2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 20 October 2016, 08:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by toffee_pie
(3) People here are too dumb to understand anything.

As for Jack its clear he is a troll (what happened to that poll i posted...).
It was removed for trolling, have a custard pie.
Old 20 October 2016, 08:30 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Originally Posted by JackClark
It was removed for trolling, have a custard pie.
because you were officially declared a troll and had to contact a mod to ease your anxiety.
Old 20 October 2016, 08:42 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Great article here posted earlier.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/09/...osed-computer/

Its great having fanboys deny any of these rumours as they get sucked further and further into the choking and restrictive Apple eco system.

getting set for the iPhone 7 purchase......

For future reference, this is trolling...
Old 20 October 2016, 09:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

because you were officially declared a troll and had to contact a mod to ease your anxiety.
No, no, I told you early on that it was a three stage process, when you made it to stage two I suggested man to man that you quit while you had some respect for yourself left, but no, you moved to stage 3. My job is done.
Old 20 October 2016, 09:14 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

No, no, I told you early on that it was a three stage process, when you made it to stage two I suggested man to man that you quit while you had some respect for yourself left, but no, you moved to stage 3. My job is done.
LOL
Sound like a dictator. It's only in your fragmented mind that you are in any way in charge of things here or anything. Half the shiite you post is bollock.

It's pretty clear to anyone who is not a brainwashed Apple fanatic you are a Troll.
The poll said so.

Suck it up jack. Why don't you just head over to the mac forum where you will meet people on your level. You don't even have a subaru. Take that Texan idiot with you
Old 20 October 2016, 09:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

LOL
Sound like a dictator. It's only in your fragmented mind that you are in any way in charge of things here or anything. Half the shiite you post is bollock.

It's pretty clear to anyone who is not a brainwashed Apple fanatic you are a Troll.
The poll said so.

Suck it up jack. Why don't you just head over to the mac forum where you will meet people on your level. You don't even have a subaru. Take that Texan idiot with you
The only thing I've done is laugh at you, not with you, at you. I've hardly mentioned Apple where you've spewed the same old isheep, troll, fanatic bollocks not just on threads regarding Apple but on threads about Android, it's very, very funny.

I also mentioned that the first sign of madness is repeating the same thing and expecting different results, that went over your head too.
Old 21 October 2016, 06:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Name:  1OkgjQa.gif
Views: 0
Size:  7.2 KB
Old 22 October 2016, 07:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Na, people at work have iPhones.

but I have not seen a new iphone 7 anywhere, iPhone 6 is all I see and a few owners of them have glanced admiringly at my S7 edge more than once.

The iPhone 7 looks exactly the same as a much older iPhone 6 so you can even use the same case, the difference is in the hardware

I think battery life in the iPhone 7 will trounce the S7 edge as if you don't use your iPhone it doesn't use the battery where as you s7 edge once unplugged from the charger will use say 10% battery in an hour.

also if you get say a 32 gig iphone and you have 2 gig left after installing all your apps, in a month time you still have 2 gig left where as your s7 edge will stop you updating apps and other issues at it will say you have low storage as the phone is always eating at your storage
Old 22 October 2016, 07:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Girl next to me has an iPhone 6 and the screen got broken a week after she got it repaired, shoddy.....

this is not the product but the person, she is obviously a moron when it comes to holding a phone but make sure you don't drop your s7 edge as the way the screen is bonded in if you crack it you may as well throw it away as its a £300 repair.
Samsung obviously have not thought about the average consumer like the dumb *** girl next to you which if I'm honest sounds a little unbelievable and it's not the phone issue but the fact you say a girl is next to you
Old 22 October 2016, 10:40 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
...where as you s7 edge once unplugged from the charger will use say 10% battery in an hour.
What utter tripe it loses 10% an hour So it only has a 10 hour battery at best if unused?

My Note 4 loses 4% overnight which is acceptable as it's still doing things in the background such as checking email etc.
Old 23 October 2016, 01:55 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't imagine that girl sat next to him a second time after having the "benefits" of fast charging rammed down her gullet lol
Old 23 October 2016, 12:11 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think battery life in the iPhone 7 will trounce the S7 edge as if you don't use your iPhone it doesn't use the battery where as you s7 edge once unplugged from the charger will use say 10% battery in an hour.
10% My s7e uses about 1% per hour when idle and that's with it constantly checking apps/notifications and syncing and ~ 3-4% overnight

also if you get say a 32 gig iphone and you have 2 gig left after installing all your apps, in a month time you still have 2 gig left where as your s7 edge will stop you updating apps and other issues at it will say you have low storage as the phone is always eating at your storage
absolute rubbish. After installing my apps i have about just under half of my 32GB left, that hasn't changed since 2yrs ago. Also with android you can use maintenance apps to keep it even cleaner, whereas Apple don't allow you to use those type of apps, as they don't think their users are intelligent enough to use them
Old 23 October 2016, 01:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

What you mean is Apple take care of that for you, because who want to mess around with apps that manage storage.

I don't believe the 10% thing either, play a game though and the battery will get hot it's draining so fast, fast charging can't keep up.
Old 23 October 2016, 01:26 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

What you mean is Apple take care of that for you, because who want to mess around with apps that manage storage.
This is the bit a lot of the Android mob don't get
Old 23 October 2016, 02:18 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

This is the bit a lot of the Android mob don't get
Walled garden for the win.
Old 23 October 2016, 02:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

10% My s7e uses about 1% per hour when idle and that's with it constantly checking apps/notifications and syncing and ~ 3-4% overnight

absolute rubbish. After installing my apps i have about just under half of my 32GB left, that hasn't changed since 2yrs ago. Also with android you can use maintenance apps to keep it even cleaner, whereas Apple don't allow you to use those type of apps, as they don't think their users are intelligent enough to use them

My note 4 and my Samsung s5 both constantly run out of space when not installing stuff as the phones do use up your storage so you need apps like App cache to keep on top of it.

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
What utter tripe it loses 10% an hour So it only has a 10 hour battery at best if unused?

My Note 4 loses 4% overnight which is acceptable as it's still doing things in the background such as checking email etc.

I took my note 4 off charge yesterday and before I had left the house which is 15 minutes the battery had dropped to 94%
Old 23 October 2016, 03:11 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Simple, user error
Old 23 October 2016, 03:13 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I don't believe the 10% thing either, play a game though and the battery will get hot it's draining so fast, fast charging can't keep up.
Android does it too, as i said you can choose to do additional manual maintenance if you wish, or if you want you don't need to, it's called having options, something Apple doesn't want you to have
Old 23 October 2016, 03:25 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Careful, you're starting to sound like Toffee Pie
Old 23 October 2016, 04:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I still think they're one and the same.
Old 23 October 2016, 04:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Android does it too, as i said you can choose to do additional manual maintenance if you wish, or if you want you don't need to, it's called having options, something Apple doesn't want you to have
With Apple you don't need to full stop, it's called doing it right in the first place. You're making Android sound like having a cleaner and hoovering yourself. In both cases the answer is to sack them 👍😀
Old 23 October 2016, 04:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

It hasn't changed in two years? But the s7 only came out in April so that math doesn't work
Old 23 October 2016, 04:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

It hasn't changed in two years? But the s7 only came out in April so that math doesn't work
Got mine in March '15, so year and a half whatever pendant, point is the apps do not chomp storage space.
Old 23 October 2016, 04:41 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

With Apple you don't need to full stop, it's called doing it right in the first place. You're making Android sound like having a cleaner and hoovering yourself. In both cases the answer is to sack them 👍😀
Can't you read? neither does Android.
Old 23 October 2016, 04:42 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Likewise with your apple chum JC
Old 23 October 2016, 04:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Got mine in March '15, so year and a half whatever pendant, point is the apps do not chomp storage space.
It's really bad on my note 4, What are the s7's like as I was thinking of buying one next week.

Quick Reply: Samsung scraps the Note 7