Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Pokemon Go now available in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2016, 09:35 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Good man. I still like ingress, but it gets tired locally after years, useful in new cities. I'm just really happy to see people playing games on the street.
Yeah, the game play is pretty static at times, but when I started playing around here (York), other than the city centre, most things were dirty blue. However, I've recruited players in our office so we can now stand up a level 8 farm in a morning and we are mobile, so fields and associated ops around York have dropped right off. As I levelled up, we had blue fields around for days, multi-layered as well, but now, we try blow the op as it's in progress, which sometimes means telling the Mrs I'm just popping out late evening. She refuses to play because she can see the appeal and doesn't want to get addicted.

However, the best bit is it's opened up a whole new social circle, where we meet up in town, have a few beers, frack, take the pi%% out of PM players and troll the smurfs as they walk around. I then get the train home slightly worse for wear.

PM doesn't seem to be a team game and I think it has less appeal than Ingress. Time will tell on player numbers.
Old 20 July 2016, 09:59 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Being born in 1990, when Pokemon was in its prime regarding the trading cards around 1999-2001, I was at the perfect age to enjoy Pokemon and spent a lot of my pocket money on the cards and trading the rare holo cards with friends. I even have every single holo card from the 1999 Base set, Fossil set and Jungle set (all near-mint/mint) framed in my downstairs bathroom. So yeah, I loved Pokemon but I honestly don't get the obsession with this game.

Yes I've got it and I've probably spent 20 minutes on it. Living on a farm sucks for the game as there is nothing anywhere near me and I guess my closest "pokestop" is 3 miles away in the nearest town!

For me this game is missing a fundamental section.... Multiplayer battles. For example, if you've got the app open and you walk past someone else with their app open, you should be able to send a challenge request. If the other person accepts then you should be able to wirelessly battle them. That would be awesome. I expect they'll eventually introduce something like that as apparently they're working on a trading part of the game.

But for now, I don't quite get it....
think its all about conquering the gyms, around me i have 2 and there always under attack, once you beat the Gym you get your name in Lights till somebody else nails ie..that's the only fighting i think at the moment...
Old 20 July 2016, 10:21 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I was a L15 Smurf now L10 Frog, long story, met lots of people around the world and only felt weird a few times. I feel weird playing Pokemon most of the time, I think it'll be fun with a group and will go out with some family soon.
Old 20 July 2016, 10:40 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think one of the best multi platform competitive games out there at the mo is hearthstone.

You genuinely don't need to spend cash to win.
Old 20 July 2016, 02:02 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
...However, the best bit is it's opened up a whole new social circle, where we meet up in town, have a few beers, frack, a spot of casual *******, take the pi%% out of PM players and troll the smurfs as they walk around...I then get the train home slightly worse for wear...
EFA

Old 21 July 2016, 08:48 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by joz8968
EFA

I've heard the ******* context associated with a couple of players now that you mention it. Since PM uses the same landmarks, I guess that will soon be called pokeamum
Old 21 July 2016, 10:41 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
I've heard the ******* context associated with a couple of players now that you mention it. Since PM uses the same landmarks, I guess that will soon be called pokeamum
As I mentioned my faction change being a long story, moral being "don't put your dick in crazy"
Old 21 July 2016, 03:36 PM
mjp02wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys n gals can you be a little more careful when you are out catching these, its got so bad I've just been emailed a safety warning from HQ (network rail) as muppets are wandering over crossings and falling off platforms.
Old 21 July 2016, 04:41 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mjp02wrx
Guys n gals can you be a little more careful when you are out catching these, its got so bad I've just been emailed a safety warning from HQ (network rail) as muppets are wandering over crossings and falling off platforms.
Yup no problem. Can you ask your drivers to stop playing
Old 21 July 2016, 10:05 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
I'm just really happy to see people playing games on the street.
lol

Bit lost for words.

Nice to see the pale people out in the fresh air though,I agree
Old 21 July 2016, 10:07 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Actually,I can't believe you reeled me in with that one Jack.Lol
Old 22 July 2016, 06:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior