Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Planar Magnetic headphones

Old 25 June 2016, 11:31 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planar Magnetic headphones

Anyone got a pair or tried them?

Are they any good?

I want a decent pair of cans, and have heard mixed reviews about this technology.

I was looking at some Beats wireless, or Sennhiesers and stumbled accross Audeeze & oppo

mart
Old 25 June 2016, 12:56 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

What do you intend to use them for Mart? I would suggest they will be too heavy for mobile / portable use - I have a set somewhere made by Yamaha - I used to use them with my synth setup - would be awful to try walking or jogging while using them.

Hifiman are also in league with Audeeze and Oppo in that market - I have never used any of those products.
Old 25 June 2016, 10:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
What do you intend to use them for Mart? I would suggest they will be too heavy for mobile / portable use - I have a set somewhere made by Yamaha - I used to use them with my synth setup - would be awful to try walking or jogging while using them.

Hifiman are also in league with Audeeze and Oppo in that market - I have never used any of those products.
They were for all round use, as certainly the Audeeze are being promoted for portable use ..

May go for a set of Skullcandy Grinds, cracking can for the price, although i want to demo some AKG50's

Mart
Old 26 June 2016, 03:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The Beats wireless will be excellent as they are Beats Studio and I have a pair of those and the sound is better than the Bose quiet comfort headphones.

If you buy the wireless ones from Costco online you can get them for about £220 which is an excellent price and you then have Costco's superb guarantee
Old 26 June 2016, 03:13 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I currently use a set of Sony MDR10 which tick all the boxes for me - they are lightweight, comfortable, the cable is detatchable, and they fold down into a small protective bag. So far I have been quite impressed with these - I dont listen to a lot of music through headphones, and when I do it is at moderate volume.

AKG50's seem like an intersting proposition for the money.
Old 04 July 2016, 01:06 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i have these

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/he...hones/mdr-1rbt

these are my Favourite in Ears, if you can find them buy some

https://www.venturedirect.co.uk/prod...nt=17080639815
Old 04 July 2016, 06:52 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Anyone got a pair or tried them?

Are they any good?

I want a decent pair of cans, and have heard mixed reviews about this technology.

I was looking at some Beats wireless, or Sennhiesers and stumbled accross Audeeze & oppo

mart
I use obravo erib-2a in ears which use a planar magnetic tweeter with a dynamic bass driver. Theyre like a full size can in an iem, smooth, powerful and once you get the seal right superb bass. But...like every planar ive heard, They need a lot if power to get them working. Powered from my phone? terrible. You have to have it running at nearly full tilt to get any volume out if them and that results in a spitty treble , flabby bass and unpleasant midrange. But when i hook them up to a good dap, they really sing,
Oppo pm3's are superb too. But again, really like it up 'em.
If youre anywhere near South London/surrey, pop into unilet sound & vision and have a listen, theyve got all the big manufacturers on dem. Well worth a visit.

Last edited by stormyuklondon1; 04 July 2016 at 07:18 PM.