Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple ruining small businesses

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2016, 09:37 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Apple ruining small businesses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

Quite a few fan boys here so tell me, how does this not make apple a greedy monopolistic bunch of *******s?

Posted from an iphone 6s by the way.
Old 06 February 2016, 09:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Interesting. Winder how that will pan out legally, i know car dealers arn't allowed to do it.
Old 06 February 2016, 09:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep everything inhouse , build up a buffer against the inevitable android take over

iv spent less than 3 quid with apple so far
Old 06 February 2016, 11:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I just knew one of you buffoons would post a link bait title to this story.

I'll take security over being able to pay a moody bloke to do a dodgy repair.

"Ruining small businesses" that's a cracker, creased me up.
Old 07 February 2016, 12:33 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

While the ruining small businesses is rollox. The legality of it may well not be jack. How would you like it if you bought something and had to take it back to the seller for repairs?
Old 07 February 2016, 01:52 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
While the ruining small businesses is rollox. The legality of it may well not be jack. How would you like it if you bought something and had to take it back to the seller for repairs?
As long as it's an Apple product he wouldn't have it any other way
Old 07 February 2016, 08:30 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark

"link bait title" .. you click it .. so it worked ..

Security? someone fixing a screen? a button? seriously? there are thousands of little phone repair companies that survive on these little repairs.

What happens when the repairs stop coming in? er..? open your eyes.

**** sake
Old 07 February 2016, 08:35 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

*added to ignore list .. ah that's better
Old 07 February 2016, 09:27 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Why is he a moody bloke, hes more than likely got the same technical skills that any apple tech has got and is more than capable to do the job, he dosen't however work for a MOODY company that seem dead set on fooking over customers at every avaliable oppurtunity with every route possible.

My missus took her ipod touch into the apple shop the other day to get help with something, after 2 hrs of waiting for an(using the word loosley) technician she was told the updates she needed were no longer avaliable and essentially the ipod was scrap, after the missus asked what she supposed to do with it now then? The guys smug response was "at least you can still play music on it".

APPLE are ****e end of and so far, so are most of the people ive encountered who work for them, in my opinion apple are the only MOODY company and everyone else who can help are knights in shining armour
Old 07 February 2016, 09:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
I've bought lots of things and taken them back to the seller for repairs, it's usually the best avenue to take.

What some people fail to understand - corner shops included - is that TouchID is very secure and it's a very good idea to keep it that way. Have a read of this https://www.apple.com/business/docs/...rity_Guide.pdf it might help.
Old 07 February 2016, 09:41 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Why is he a moody bloke, hes more than likely got the same technical skills that any apple tech has got and is more than capable to do the job, he dosen't however work for a MOODY company that seem dead set on fooking over customers at every avaliable oppurtunity with every route possible.

My missus took her ipod touch into the apple shop the other day to get help with something, after 2 hrs of waiting for an(using the word loosley) technician she was told the updates she needed were no longer avaliable and essentially the ipod was scrap, after the missus asked what she supposed to do with it now then? The guys smug response was "at least you can still play music on it".

APPLE are ****e end of and so far, so are most of the people ive encountered who work for them, in my opinion apple are the only MOODY company and everyone else who can help are knights in shining armour
Rant much. I meant moody as in I walk in to ask a question and he's always in a mood. Bloody expensive too, both times I've ended up going to Apple for an official repair.

Tell your missus to book an appointment next time, it's what the rest of us do. You should take a look at Android phones if you want to see a lack of updates, shocking, how old was your iPod? I've seen Android phones less than a year old that can't get the latest updates and are essentially scrap like your iPod, at least they can still make calls on them though.
Old 07 February 2016, 09:43 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
"link bait title" .. you click it .. so it worked ..

Security? someone fixing a screen? a button? seriously? there are thousands of little phone repair companies that survive on these little repairs.

What happens when the repairs stop coming in? er..? open your eyes.

**** sake
Open my eyes, it's you that's commenting about things you know nothing about. "little repairs" I posted a document earlier that you might like to read, secure enclave is a good start. And you can fix the screen no problem, just don't replace the button.
Old 07 February 2016, 10:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

lots phones have touch id do they not
Old 07 February 2016, 12:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
lots phones have touch id do they not
Yes, the iPhone 5s upwards. If you're suggesting that other brands of phones are using Apple's technology then no.
Old 07 February 2016, 03:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yes Iv a feeling all iPhones updates are costing me data ..

My android was completely useable after 3 years btw
Old 07 February 2016, 04:06 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The screen "replacers" aren't the problem - the crafty shysters out there found an "in" using dodgy fingerprint home buttons.
Most screens can be replaced without changing the home-button.

Sensationalist reporting at best tbh.
Old 07 February 2016, 04:13 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Just because a device doesn't have the latest updates, does no take it scrap. My phone is still on Kitkat, perfectly usable, and modified to my requirements. It is 2 updates behind. It works just aswell the day I bought it and doesn't stop working because it hasn't got the latest OS.

Apple's behaviour of bricking devices which have had a perfectly satisfactory repair by a non apple repair centre appalling behaviour. Just shows a contempt for consumers. I hope this bites them on the ****.
Old 07 February 2016, 04:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Pitchforks at dawn.

You crack on modifying your phone, I'm sure you're better at fixing security issues than Google and Apple. How dare they stop their operating system from working on shady hardware in the name of security! What utter *******.
Old 07 February 2016, 04:38 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

I've bought lots of things and taken them back to the seller for repairs, it's usually the best avenue to take.

What some people fail to understand - corner shops included - is that TouchID is very secure and it's a very good idea to keep it that way. Have a read of this https://www.apple.com/business/docs/...rity_Guide.pdf it might help.

so then disable touch id, not brick phone
Old 07 February 2016, 05:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by riiidaa
so then disable touch id, not brick phone
Read the document I linked, it's not that simple. What is simple is getting a real button.
Old 07 February 2016, 06:41 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Read the document I linked, it's not that simple. What is simple is getting a real button.
Please elaborate, or distill for us the vital essence of the 60-page doc you posted which would explain why:
Behaviour 1, phone software detects that possibly invalid hardware has been installed, and reacts to this by permanently and completely disabling the entire OS, and displaying 'Error 53'
could not quite easily be replaced by
Behaviour 2, phone software detects that possibly invalid hardware has been installed, and reacts to this by forcing the user to enter numeric passcode instead of using TouchID, and displaying a warning message permanently at the top/side/bottom of the screen, advising the user their phone may have been tampered with.
Once you've the done the above, we'll hopefully be in better a position to decide whether Apple are just being a bunch of miserable cvnts, or whether there's any truth to the claim that "Behaviour 1" was the sole option open to them entirely due to technical constraints
Old 07 February 2016, 07:20 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Rant much. I meant moody as in I walk in to ask a question and he's always in a mood. Bloody expensive too, both times I've ended up going to Apple for an official repair.

Tell your missus to book an appointment next time, it's what the rest of us do. You should take a look at Android phones if you want to see a lack of updates, shocking, how old was your iPod? I've seen Android phones less than a year old that can't get the latest updates and are essentially scrap like your iPod, at least they can still make calls on them though.
She waited 2 hrs for the appointment, that was the point of the wait, but after waiting 2hrs she was fobbed off in 30 seconds, imo thats taking the p1ss. The ipod is quite old now, she had it when they not long come out. Apple neglected to mention the thing would end up scrap after a few years when i was paying them iro £400 for it, again thats taking the p1ss.

As for android, i have a galaxy s6 edge and have had no trouble at all with updates, if anything it does my head in that i keep getting notifications to update the software/apps etc, so at the minute its good as is the missus' s4 mini thats just over 2 years old.

Oh and just so you know my kodi box is great
Old 07 February 2016, 07:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

jack,

Sorry, I appreciate your sanity on a lot of topics/threads - even the trivial "Apple are cvnts" threads

But I read about this "error 53" issue - and you are wrong

The implications for consumers are awful

If "cashless security" means consumers have to accept this b0ll0cks, then frankly let's keep cash
Old 07 February 2016, 07:24 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

So what happens if a moody guy fits a 'real' button but is not an apple tech?
Old 07 February 2016, 07:36 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

So what happens if a moody guy fits a 'real' button but is not an apple tech?
Nothing. If I understand it right, the error 53 issue is caused by none OE hardware. Fit an OE button and the phone doesn't care.
Old 07 February 2016, 07:47 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Nothing. If I understand it right, the error 53 issue is caused by none OE hardware. Fit an OE button and the phone doesn't care.
Fair enough, are rear buttons readily availiable though? Knowing apple probably not and if they are to come direct from apple, they will probably cost as much as a new phone anyway
Old 07 February 2016, 09:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

apple are going to get their fingers burnt over this policy. The phone belongs to the consumer and not apple. Rendering a phone useless and unable to retrieve their own personal data. Class action is coming their way
Old 08 February 2016, 07:18 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, are rear buttons readily availiable though? Knowing apple probably not and if they are to come direct from apple, they will probably cost as much as a new phone anyway
that's the next catch, only supplied and fitted by Apple.
Old 08 February 2016, 08:29 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by neil-h
Thats not true, the button needs to be coded to the secure enclave, your bloke down the shop might one day be able to do that but right now he can't. He shouldn't have told you he could repair it, if he'd read up he'd know he can't, but he took your money and left you with a bricked phone, but Apple are the ******* here.
Old 08 February 2016, 08:37 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy97
apple are going to get their fingers burnt over this policy. The phone belongs to the consumer and not apple. Rendering a phone useless and unable to retrieve their own personal data. Class action is coming their way
Bad Apple, such ******* for being so secure. We should burn them at the stake.

Quick Reply: Apple ruining small businesses