Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

It's Google Day.

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2015, 12:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default It's Google Day.

Looking forward to seeing the new phones and I'm sure they'll have something new up their sleeve.
Old 29 September 2015, 08:02 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

wouldn't take much for it to have more new stuff than the iphone lol

tbh im expecting a sing and dance for 2% increase in performance that makes no difference at all to the user
Old 29 September 2015, 08:23 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

No Manufacturer has brought out a substantially better performing phone this year compared to my Note 3. I will wait till next year to see if the Snapdragon 820 lives upto hype.
Old 29 September 2015, 09:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy97
No Manufacturer has brought out a substantially better performing phone this year compared to my Note 3. I will wait till next year to see if the Snapdragon 820 lives upto hype.
Maybe today's your day, otherwise come join us on the light side where advancements are being made.
Old 29 September 2015, 09:09 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Maybe today's your day, otherwise come join us on the light side where advancements are being made.

really jack? still swallowing the apple BS then
Old 29 September 2015, 09:24 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
really jack? still swallowing the apple BS then
It's not bull**** at all, I'm expecting something along the lines of 3D touch or a Taptic engine, new stuff. I know Android will be supporting fingerprints and that's great but late, the new phone has a familiar looking ring on the back which might be awkward. Marshmallow will be a great step towards a secure operating system. I doubt they'll just throw a few more cores in and more ram as I'm sure they've worked out that that's not how you make a great device.
Old 29 September 2015, 09:47 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

No there are none, neither apple or Android. My kids for the first time aren't bothered with the 6s specifications. Small upgrades at best! I'll wait and so will my kids for the next round of new phones next spring
Old 29 September 2015, 09:56 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

It's not bull**** at all, I'm expecting something along the lines of 3D touch or a Taptic engine, new stuff. I know Android will be supporting fingerprints and that's great but late, the new phone has a familiar looking ring on the back which might be awkward. Marshmallow will be a great step towards a secure operating system. I doubt they'll just throw a few more cores in and more ram as I'm sure they've worked out that that's not how you make a great device.

lol, that a bit late like the stylus apple have just brought out? lol

there wasnt anything new in the iphone and doubt there will be anything new in the google phone.
Old 29 September 2015, 10:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

lol, that a bit late like the stylus apple have just brought out? lol

there wasnt anything new in the iphone and doubt there will be anything new in the google phone.
You have no idea what you're talking about, that's the difference between me and you. I already mentioned Fingerprint recognition, that's new.

The Pencil is new in many ways and certainly new for Apple devices. 3d touch and the taptic engine has only been seen in the Apple Watch, and I doubt you've seen or felt that. And that's just skimming the surface.

I have high hopes for today. After all we all benefit.
Old 29 September 2015, 10:10 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

it's not new, tahts the whole point. go look up when the first phone with it was. and the pencil is just a fancy pointer.

DO you really believe the hyped up crap that much? lol
Old 29 September 2015, 10:27 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

it's not new, tahts the whole point. go look up when the first phone with it was. and the pencil is just a fancy pointer.

DO you really believe the hyped up crap that much? lol
How is it not new when it was announced last week. Are you saying that Ford never produce new cars, because there were already cars on the road.

And why are you making this all about Apple? Demented.
Old 29 September 2015, 11:47 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the camera ring hoo-haa?

I'm very disappointed that it seems both the 5X and 6P are dropping wireless charging - the idea of having to plug my phone in to charge it seems very old-fashioned.

AMOLED screen on the 6P is nice; should help with power draw.

As I've said previously, I have hopes that Apple Pay has paved the way for UK adoption of Google Wallet, and if a fingerprint reader is needed for that, so be it. Wonder if they've gone for a hardware secure element again on these new ones?

Reality is that neither device is meant to be a hardware showcase, rather a software one; the hardware on a Nexus has always been middle of the road, but the lack of manufacturer bloat means they often perform like high-end devices.
Old 29 September 2015, 12:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I hope they do use a hardware secure element, if they don't I fear they'll fail, then we all fail. Not that fingerprints are the be all and end all - steal it once you have it forever.

I'm a fan of the Nexus and have been since the first. The only Android phone I'd buy without feeling too bad.

I feel you on the charging, having it on my watch has swayed me, I have a great stand that you can practically throw it at, whilst in bed, in the dark.
Old 30 September 2015, 09:48 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

The 6P looks good although as with all previous Google phones i'll be interested to see what the battery life is like.

Samsung haven't even released 5.1 for the Note 4 yet in the UK despite is seemingly available just about everywhere else and getting a bit fed up with them not paying much attention to the UK market with updates. So getting Marshmallow is unlikely to ever happen. This for me is the big draw of the Google branded phones as at least you get all the latest updates/patches.
Old 30 September 2015, 11:03 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
The 6P looks good although as with all previous Google phones i'll be interested to see what the battery life is like.

Samsung haven't even released 5.1 for the Note 4 yet in the UK despite is seemingly available just about everywhere else and getting a bit fed up with them not paying much attention to the UK market with updates. So getting Marshmallow is unlikely to ever happen. This for me is the big draw of the Google branded phones as at least you get all the latest updates/patches.
Have a look here for 5.1.1

done via kies

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-N910F/
Old 30 September 2015, 11:40 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I liked lots of things but was surprised that some of the new features were not already part of Android having seen them in use long ago, Bursts, Slow-mo, Notifications things like that. Photos looks great, like a cross platform iCloud Photos which is no bad thing.

Not so keen on the rear fingerprint reader, bit awkward getting anything but one finger to work.

Haven't found much reading on the security but no doubt it's improved.
Old 30 September 2015, 11:47 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

I liked lots of things but was surprised that some of the new features were not already part of Android having seen them in use long ago, Bursts, Slow-mo, Notifications things like that. Photos looks great, like a cross platform iCloud Photos which is no bad thing.

Not so keen on the rear fingerprint reader, bit awkward getting anything but one finger to work.

Haven't found much reading on the security but no doubt it's improved.
My Note 3 (2years old) has burst photos, slow motion and notifications. Notification have been around for years, where do you think apple got the idea
Old 30 September 2015, 11:54 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

My Note 3 (2years old) has burst photos, slow motion and notifications. Notification have been around for years, where do you think apple got the idea
Same place Google did, Jailbroken iPhones.

Stil, it's good these things are being rolled into the operating system, everyone complains of manufacturer bloat and hopefully this is a step towards less of that.
Old 30 September 2015, 02:00 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Have a look here for 5.1.1

done via kies

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-N910F/
Thanks but have you tried connecting a Note 4 to Windows 10? It appears the USB drivers aren't available yet so no connection to Kies until its fixed.

I've tried mine on multiple Windows 10 machines and all had the same error

It should be available OTA as it is else where but again Samsung are ignoring the UK market.