Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win 10 and Dolby audio

Old 14 September 2015, 07:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Win 10 and Dolby audio

It Anyone have Dolby home theatre working? Where their amp is getting a true Dolby 5.1 input signal.

It used to work, now it doesn't. Tried reinstalling drivers, the Dolby app now works but if I select 5.1 Dolby audio I still get nothing; not even when clicking the test icon (comes up with failed to play file, or something like that). It used to work in win 7

This is via a Lenovo q180 with a Realtek HD audio chip connected to the amp via fibre optic.

PCM audio works in 2channel on the Realtek chip. And I can select the Amd Radeon Hdmi for audio, Which allows 5.1 or 7.1 PCM via the HDMI connection, but as there is no Dolby processing via the AMD chip, I cannot get prologic or Dts audio from the amp, again it's just 2channel (worse actually as it 2.0 with no sub and the amp can't upmix it as it's seeing 5.1/7.1 channels but only 2 of those channel contain any audio).

Googling seems to suggest its early days and it a win 10 issue where those that have noticed haven't fixed it; obviously it's not always that easy to check depending on how your home theatre amp treats signals. my onkyo clearly display what input signal it's getting.

The best I can get is to use 2ch PCM and use the amp to upmix it into 5.1/7.1 pro-logicII or Dts neo. It does the job, but this means 5.1 content is down mixed to 2ch and then up mixed again: it was better when the Realtek was doing It as it could pass through 5.1/7.1 audio and upmix 2ch automatically

Win 10 is starting to annoy me now

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 September 2015 at 07:58 AM.