Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone BSOD

Old 30 July 2015, 09:04 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default iPhone BSOD

Yeah, sorry to steal a Windows phrase but its apt...

My 5S 64Gb started turning itself off yesterday but not coming back on. I had to press the buttons until Apple logo popped up and then it would come back up. About lunchtime, it just didn't

Went to do a restore and ended up having to do a complete software download and install. I then added an old backup and all seemed to be working again. Rode home, checked my phone to let g/f know I had a puncture (grr) on the way and it was dead again.

When I got home, I went through the whole process of a fresh install and was just installing the latest backup, whilst on the phone to Apple tech support about what might be wrong (diag says battery OK) when it just blue screened on me and died again. They reckon its probably hardware related.

I've re-installed software and backup again and since then its still alive but rebooted itself at least twice in the middle of the night but this time coming back up.

Any ideas? Its out of warranty and loathe to part with £200 for a replacement (or service as they call it). Looking on internet BSOD stories are unfortunately common it would seem but a variety of reasons both software and hardware related.
Old 30 July 2015, 09:19 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

operator error mate, iphones dont break,,,,,,,,,,,,

so jack claims,,,, hahahaha
Old 31 July 2015, 12:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Tricky. Might be worth replacing some simple parts yourself but you're just stabbing in the dark really, then by the time you've found the right bit you've spent more than £200. Taking it apart and putting it back together could be all it needs.
Old 31 July 2015, 12:33 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

needs replacing i think, Sons was like this, never ending loop on a rebuild. also loss of signal, turn out faulty 5s.

I claimed new 1 on Natwest cover, as Apple wouldn't mend it cos it had a small hairline crack on the rear..
Old 31 July 2015, 01:27 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Spoke with a techy engineer from Apple who at the end of the day hadn't a clue. Suggested taking it to a Genius Bar, so I've booked one for next week sometime.

However, saying that, its been fine since the reboot yesterday AM. Didn't do anything stupid yesterday nor reboot at any point over the night. The real pain has been getting everything "how I like it" again, which includes wiping the Watch & resetting that. That and Apple insisting on a password change for iTunes/iCloud etc...
Old 03 August 2015, 10:25 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

It is now a total brick. Won't even do a system restore via iTunes

Got a Genius booked for tomorrow PM but but in the meantime borrowed a test 5C from work...
Old 05 August 2015, 09:52 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Well, that was a result. Went in fully expecting to pay £200 for a swap-out as its out of warranty - which is still better than getting another 2nd hand for £400 or so. Sat patiently reading a book in the Covent Garden Apple place until I was seen. Lady listened to my tale of woe, took my phone away for tests then came back after 15 minutes. Good news and bad news - bad news is the phone is dead but the good news is that the original owner bought it direct from Apple and as there's no customer misuse (and due to some European warranty or something) that at Apple's discretion they can swap it out FOC

Now that's why you pay the extra £ for Apple products - awesome customer service
Old 05 August 2015, 11:44 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool story bro

Old 05 August 2015, 02:38 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Result.
Old 05 August 2015, 02:55 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx