Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows 10 icon on toolbar

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2015, 08:33 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use the tool linked above to make a bootable DVD. Personally im going to wait until win update allows me to upgrade. Gives it a bit of a time for any issues to be ironed out and let the other suckers... sorry users test the process
Old 29 July 2015, 08:52 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep i'm away at the moment on holiday so can't do my machines until I get home and not doing my Linx tablet whilst here and risking it screwing up. Means all initial issues will be ironed out when I get home and should download nice and fast.

Got to check the Linx forum to see how the tablet has faired with the upgrade anyway as not so easy to recover one of those if the install screws up.
Old 29 July 2015, 10:20 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Just after I was getting used to using win 8.1 LOL.

Just bought a Spectre X360, now its badgering me for win10....hmmm., so I or don't I?

do it
Old 29 July 2015, 11:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mickywrx
After upgrading to Win 10, what happens if I need to do a fresh OS install at a later date? I'll not have an install disk for Win 10, only Win 7.

Clone/Image the entire hard drive before doing anything to a NAS or memory stick etc. (incase the upgrade ***** up and you need to revert back)

Then do another disc clone/image after upgrading it to the new OS. So you can revert back in the future should you need to (like replace the hard drive etc).

I use Easus Todo. (free), loads of other programs out there and some maybe better to use, but this works and I'm used to it so thats what I stick with.
Old 30 July 2015, 02:07 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I use Easus Todo. (free), loads of other programs out there and some maybe better to use, but this works and I'm used to it so thats what I stick with.
Yea sound advice, saves so much time if things go **** up. I use Macrium Reflect which is also free.
Old 30 July 2015, 02:55 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LostUser
You only get a Windows 10 license if you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1. So, you would need to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 first. This will give you the Windows 10 license. Then you can wipe the hard disk (or put in the SSD) and do a fresh install of Windows 10.

I understand -Thanks
Old 30 July 2015, 08:55 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Waiting . . .

Mine appears to be doing something, I've got the C:\$Windows.~BT folder.

Yeah, I got all that, all nearly 3GB of it, nowt happening though

There's an exe called Setup but when I asked it to Install, couldn't find boot.wim or something like that - pah!
Old 30 July 2015, 08:56 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well did 2 machines last night, all went fine. Also did boot camp on Retina iMac all ok apart from Apple just need to release the ATI 295X drivers, but works like a charm

VM Fusion works well also picked up Bootcamp and just worked, Parallels however isn't it can't even see it... Bag of ****e that program
Old 30 July 2015, 09:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

There's an exe called Setup but when I asked it to Install, couldn't find boot.wim or something like that - pah!
That will be an incomplete download. Same happened for me except i only received 140MB in that ~BT setup folder. Its pot luck on when you download the update on whether it completes successfully or not depending on how busy things are i guess. Just be patient and let windows update dload it again for you. Or you can do it manually from that link provided on page 2.

Last edited by bioforger; 30 July 2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 30 July 2015, 09:22 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Don't try and run the setup.exe - caused people lots of problems.

If you check in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (in one of the subfolders, it differs) you'll find the rest of the files. They'll eventually move to the $BT folder when it's ready.

I did mine with the Media Creation tool and it worked a treat.
Old 30 July 2015, 12:12 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Got a new laptop yesterday, it downloaded Windows 10, was ready to go this morning, so I thought I might as well, I haven't put anything on it yet, less pain etc.

Started the upgrade at 09.20, it's till copying files (not downloading, this is the actual upgrade now), so nearly 3 hours later it is at 74% copying files, only 22% throught the upgrade process!

It's not as if the disk should be slow, my OS drive drive is RAID SSDs!
Old 30 July 2015, 12:12 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Ive took the plunge, i used the link on the 2nd page as i didn't have the notification in the windows update. Was previously using Windows 7 Ultimate retail.

It seemed pretty straight forward, it installed Windows 10 Pro. At first glance it's not as drastic a change as i thought it would be, the previous desktop wallpaper is the same and i selected to keep all files and apps which it has done. Ive not had a proper mooch round it yet, the install seem to go ok though and smoother than i was anticipating.

At some point i'll burn an iso to disc and do a complete fresh install. I was going to do a rebuild soon anyway so i thought i'd give it a test now.
Old 30 July 2015, 04:38 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Well, it's done. Looked around, apparently the Win 10 upgrader is just horribly slow at copying files, it's a common occurrence. After nearly 5 hours of copying, it rebooted and the rest of the install was quick and painless.

Found nothing that doesn't work yet, but seeing as the PC is only a day old, I would expect a lot of the hardware would have had Win 10 drivers waiting in the wings. I certainly didn't have to update anything, but I have checked and it all has new proper Win 10 drivers, so that's good.

Win 10 seems ok, better than 8.1, I'll see how it goes
Old 30 July 2015, 04:43 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Is their a hidden Aero option anywhere ? Ive looked high and low but can't find any option for it, it looked good on Windows 7, it would be surprising if they have left it out of Windows 10.

So far so good, the only problem ive had upto now is Kaspersky Internet Security wouldn't work with it, ive solved that slight issue.
Old 30 July 2015, 04:54 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm still waiting for it to tell me it's ready to install. I reserved my upgrade as soon as that icon appeared.
Old 30 July 2015, 04:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Did my Asus Tablet first, seemed to take a while but eventually went through and seems to be working fine. Currently doing my old Sony Vaio and part way. Should be interesting as it was a Vista Business machine I u/graded to Win7 Pro and my display driver was a bit temperamental. Very glad on FTTC broadband
Old 30 July 2015, 04:59 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Is their a hidden Aero option anywhere ? Ive looked high and low but can't find any option for it, it looked good on Windows 7, it would be surprising if they have left it out of Windows 10.

So far so good, the only problem ive had upto now is Kaspersky Internet Security wouldn't work with it, ive solved that slight issue.
Which bit of aero do you mean? The aero theme itself hasn't been a thing since Win8. There's a sense of transparency on some items though.

You can bring it back on with 3rd party tools I think, not sure about in Win10 though.
Old 30 July 2015, 05:15 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I'm still waiting for it to tell me it's ready to install. I reserved my upgrade as soon as that icon appeared.

Download it from the microsoft link below which DJ Dunk posted on page 2, i never got the notification telling me either. The install went really smooth.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old 30 July 2015, 05:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Display driver max is 1280x800 which is not ideal

Maybe new laptop time?
Old 30 July 2015, 05:46 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Have you updated your graphics drivers for Win10?
Old 30 July 2015, 06:12 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

yeah - it came up with generic MS windows graphics driver
Old 30 July 2015, 06:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

yeah - it came up with generic MS windows graphics driver
Yea thats why your resolution is limited.

You need the specific drivers for your hardware/graphics card, so 1st find out what it is from device manager, then visit the relevant website and hopefully find the Win10 drivers. Does it have graphics on board or a seperate GPU in your laptop? If its onboard its likely using Intel graphics as a guess.
Old 30 July 2015, 06:55 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Its a Vaio and I ran the Update Driver over the Sony Drivers file I had and its installed a Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

Slightly better graphics but still only 1280x800
Old 30 July 2015, 06:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Fail

I get "we couldn't update system reserved partition" error with the media creation tool, I am running an 840 Pro SSD as my boot drive, which has a 100MB primary partition, any ideas? :/
Old 30 July 2015, 07:07 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Its a Vaio and I ran the Update Driver over the Sony Drivers file I had and its installed a Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

Slightly better graphics but still only 1280x800
Those are still generic Windows drivers. You need to get Win10 compatible drivers from Sony if they are available. Or you could try installing the drivers directly from the Nvidia website.
Old 30 July 2015, 07:59 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Mine won't update due to falling over and failing to install the last of the updates for Windows 8.1.
Old 30 July 2015, 08:01 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Fail

I get "we couldn't update system reserved partition" error with the media creation tool, I am running an 840 Pro SSD as my boot drive, which has a 100MB primary partition, any ideas? :/
Did you build your pc yourself and do a fresh install of windows at the time ?

If so did you create a system reserved partition ? If you did, did you create enough space on it as the windows 10 install will need to use that, their might not be enough space. Windows 7 only needed around 100MB, i think Windows 10 needs around 350MB.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 30 July 2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 30 July 2015, 09:16 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Correct Rob, well sort of I cloned my HDD onto a Sammy SSD when i bought it, this cloned the 100MB reserved partition... i think :s

What a faff, so with my Sammy SSD the system reserved partition is indeed 100MB but with only a small amount of free space, in my case 5MB. So then i had to use a partition wizard tool to extend that reserved partition to ~600MB (as you cant do it from Windows disk management) so it was big enough for the Win10 upgrade process, otherwise it wouldn't play ball! I only found out about this from doing some research on google. No message or clue as how to fix it, so the upgrade tool is cack in my opinion as it should cater for this type of scenario.

I also had to restart one final time after everything had been setup to apply the Nvidia drivers correctly and set the right display resolution.

Anyway just posting this in case someone else has a similar issue. Now its all working and i'm typing this from 10
Old 30 July 2015, 10:33 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Glad your sorted Bio

It seems pretty good so far, not had a proper mooch around it yet but it seems to be fine and pretty slick. I'd day its a cross between windows 7 and Windows 8, glad they brought back the start menu.
Old 30 July 2015, 11:29 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Just noticed that the Windows.old folder it has created is 36.7gb!!!!!!!!!

That will have to go, I think, I only have 256GB OS disk.

Quick Reply: Windows 10 icon on toolbar