Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Bought my first DSLR, well dad did

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2015, 05:19 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bought my first DSLR, well dad did

So my dads a pro and has a variety of Cameras his main one a Nikon 800E.

Anyway we plan to go away end of May he's 83 so I'm dragging him along, we've rented out a massive villa, thats up for sale for 1.2 Mill ( hope they don't sell it )

Anyway he said did i want a camera as he wants to buy a new one so of course i said ok.

Not a massive fan but i thought why not.

He ordred himself the new Sony A7 MK2 with a Very expensive carl Zeiss lens.
After much reading i finally got
http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer...-fz1000eb.html

i didn't want interchangeable lens as its not where i wanted to spend money, so i looked for one of the new Bridge Cameras.

Seems to tick all my boxes, gets very good reviews everywhere, does 4k Video so a bonus, bit bulky as I'm used to point and shoot, but should be ok.

Also ordered a filter for UV a JOBY tripod and a Lowepro bag for it. ill try get some photos up once I'm ok with it.

I also subscribed to Adobe Cloud today, i used my Daughters Uni account and got everything adobe do for 15 quid a month... I needed premier for the video aspect.. but you get photoshop and lightroom and a gazillion other things too...

Anyone else do any photography ( for Hux benefit cos he's moody )

Last edited by Littleted; 28 March 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 27 March 2015, 07:18 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And the point to this is?

I'm guessing you're fishing for some validation to your purchase?
Old 27 March 2015, 09:20 PM
Reef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you didn't get a cheap uv filter. Pointless having an expensive lens and putting a cheap filter on the front.
Old 28 March 2015, 08:47 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yeah reef bought a decent one for it, think it will drive today.

HUX its called a thread, comment if you want to or don't, I was hoping to open up banter between other camera people, as I'm new to it and have no idea.
Old 28 March 2015, 09:19 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

All well and good, but you left little to no reason for the thread.

I got a new camera, bought some software etc and you left it at that.

No asking for comments, suggestions or anything just smacked a bit of ooh look at my shiny new camera.

Nothing personal, but you do need to leave a reason for the thread in the first place.

As for filters, look at Marumi super dhg, it's the best for your money.

Last edited by hux309; 28 March 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 28 March 2015, 09:25 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Amended it to keep you sane..
Old 28 March 2015, 01:48 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look nice cameras,like an all in package without hefty bags etc etc so a more convenient way to go.

Had a few cameras over the years,tend to go for ones you can change the lens though. Glove box camera was the canon sx220hs of which i used for hd videos on the move(when off roading). Handy for having with you,now phone cameras are a lot better,i have found a lot easier just using that for general pics at the park etc etc.

For more dedicated use,the 550d offers good value as a next step

Lens imo is a bit crap 18-55 IS,so looking for a good 18-200 as its an excellent all round type(for the none pro in me)Not cheap for a good one!!

The boss has a d300 with 18-200vr,this worked well for her needs(more pro use) and is getting a d3x soon.

None are easy carry ,all require a substantial bag so often get left behind as a pita to carry around(unless deliberately want to take pics of course). Or should i say,too much bother to take out on a whim for pics......Mobile(iphone 6+ is 1/2 decent for pics)and is always with me so just more convenient........

Hope you enjoy your cameras, look forward to some excellent subaru pics
Old 28 March 2015, 03:58 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

I have a Nikon d90 with a few lenses..I've had it a fair while now and took many pics.. Although I don't get to use it as often as I like, it does go everywhere with me.

Good luck and post a few pics up.
Old 28 March 2015, 04:34 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great camera the d90,imo its about the best bang for buck camera(or certainly was a few year back). Hard to beat for a good camera without spending mega money................and can certainly keep up with the bigger boys. Just not got all the fancy stuff that never gets used anyway or by me
Old 28 March 2015, 05:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice choice Mr Ted, I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 with Leica lense, had it maybe 5/6yrs and it's been great, still don't know how to use half the stuff on it but it does what I need it to.

I have a little Nikon Coolpix that lives in my glove box most of the time too, although neither see much use these days sadly, it's just easier to use my phone.
Old 28 March 2015, 10:01 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yeah just been messing about past few days, getting to grips with it all, I have a few small cameras like most people an older Olympus Miji waterproof one and a Sony dc5 cyber shot .
This is another level with the quality, I'll shove a few shots up tomorrow after I've been Fel Running with the wife.
Old 29 March 2015, 10:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bought my dmc g3 end 2011 .

Its been out the bag for our African "safaris" , and thats about it
Old 29 March 2015, 07:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I looked at getting a bridge camera and most people seemed against the idea as though the camera is a poor choice? I ended up buying a Nikon dsl and an extra 18-200mm lens. The camera looses half its weight if I add the 18-55 lens but I never use it.
Old 29 March 2015, 07:52 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Have a look at The Image Academy.

One of their courses usually £245 is on offer for £25 until 10th April.

https://www.facebook.com/theimageacademy.uk

Last edited by hux309; 29 March 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 29 March 2015, 08:12 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I looked at getting a bridge camera and most people seemed against the idea as though the camera is a poor choice? I ended up buying a Nikon dsl and an extra 18-200mm lens. The camera looses half its weight if I add the 18-55 lens but I never use it.

So with my dad in the photographic arena he looks at most things in details.

There were two bridge cameras worth looking at the Sony RX10 and my LUMIX 1000, the reviews are very good for both and both have pros and cons, the winner for me was the Panasonic because it can do 4K video which for some of the stuff I do its a nice to have, that and the 400mm Leica lens the quality of the pictures thus far are very good, but time will tell. Sony will counter as the LUMIX is winning all the awards so I guess the Rx20 will be imminent. I've always liked Sony and I would have had it but no 4k and the weaker zoom.
But for 600 quid I think there very good for anybody wanting to have something that's near as dammit to the proper lens Camera without the need for the expense of lens.

I remember when my dad bought his latest Nikon he spent about 6k on the body and some Carl Zeiss lens the camera is very good, but man is it heavy hence why he has just bought th Sony A7 Mk2..

That Panasonic G3 is a nice unit I kept coming across the G4 whilst I looked at this one...

I'll see what I can do, today was crap as it was raining hard so I didn't do anything .
Old 29 March 2015, 08:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I was going to buy the Lumix 72 as I have no need for 4k video as my phone does that. I looked at the 1000 and although it seemed a fantastic camera it didn't seem worth the extra cash for what I wanted it for.

I zoomed in with my 200mm lens and close ups are far better than a compact as it must be due to glass size as the lens captures far better images and better detail in any scenario

Last edited by stevebt; 29 March 2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 29 March 2015, 09:00 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've noticed that too, the larger lens just seems to make everything look much better, must ask my dad why that is must be a light thing.

Yeah I have the z2 which does 4k was ok but kept getting hot, Sony may have fixed that now, don't really use the phone much.

What I do like is the way the iPad works with the new cams, lots of nice remote apps.
I also noticed with the Sony you can actually install apps on the camera a bonus for them
Old 29 March 2015, 09:11 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I just bought a Nikon D3100 for £150 with 300mm lense and kit lense. Not a bloody clue how to use it yet but been told it's a good starter camera.
Old 29 March 2015, 09:18 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

I think what Hux posted is worth a look... Might sign up
Old 29 March 2015, 10:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
Yeah I've noticed that too, the larger lens just seems to make everything look much better, must ask my dad why that is must be a light thing.

Yeah I have the z2 which does 4k was ok but kept getting hot, Sony may have fixed that now, don't really use the phone much.

What I do like is the way the iPad works with the new cams, lots of nice remote apps.
I also noticed with the Sony you can actually install apps on the camera a bonus for them

My daughter took control of my camera in New York as she liked the idea of a DSLR She was even taking selfies with it and a selfie with the dslr with her and my missus in was just that but a selfie with a compact was them two in the middle of a picture with lots and lots of background around them
Old 29 March 2015, 10:12 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Originally Posted by Littleted
I think what Hux posted is worth a look... Might sign up
I will be, they have a high rep, mate is doing it now and loves it.
Least with a bridge you won't have the hassle not to mention cost of lenses.
It's a bit infuriating trying to get that shot, but can't as the equipment isn't up to snuff.

This is the best i've managed with my nx3000, still got way more to go.

https://flic.kr/p/qyd9uK

https://flic.kr/p/qKAt9T

Last edited by hux309; 29 March 2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 30 March 2015, 12:08 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Perfectly good camera but as with all photography, the image is created by the human, not the camera... so get yourself out and practice and do plenty of research until your confident coming out of auto and into some more creative settings as an SLR in auto isn't greatly better than a decent phone camera nowadays.

Get yourself up to speed with a few rules to help your composition too, leading lines, the rule of space, the rule of thirds. All rules to be broken, but for a beginner they will quickly teach you how to make an average image look decent due to the way a human eye and brain evaluates an image.
Old 01 April 2015, 08:31 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

I would imagine pebkac would apply with shooting, least in my case.
Old 12 June 2015, 09:08 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

FYI guys Sony will release three new cameras in July

The Rx100 mk 4 I just got the three the MFs

The RX10 mk 2 there new bridge camera

The A7R II 40 odd Meg pixel 399 focus points technology is 5 years ahead of anything out currently

The two RX model use the worlds first stacked CMOS and they both also do 4k video now.....
Sony really are hotting things up....
Old 13 June 2015, 04:55 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Default Bought my first DSLR, well dad did

I'm looking forward to trying the 100 MK4. It could well be a contender to replace my little hiking camera, the G7X.
Old 13 June 2015, 08:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3 Nikon DSLR's at the moment, a D80 which i purchased new back in 2006 with a kit lens, it was my first introduction to proper digital photography (though i did have a little snappermatic 2 mpix thing), replaced it with a D7100 which is great and now also have a D750. D80 is worth nothing so not worth getting rid of, will find a home for it at some point but DX/FX tech looks to be out of the window by the end of the year if rumours are correct.