Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apples Watch and stuff

Old 26 April 2015, 10:24 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by riiidaa
I'm looking for a good landscape 6+ stand that won't obscure the screen
I'm thinking about getting another car mount for my quadlock case, stick it to my desk and hire cars.

http://www.quadlockcase.com/products...-iphone-6-plus
Old 26 April 2015, 10:56 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So without going through all the online reviews etc what will the Apple Watch allow me to do other than tell the time, receive calls and text messages?

Serious question as I need a new watch for everyday use and if I'm going to spend around £250 for something decent then it might be worth paying £100 on top if it can be justified.
Old 26 April 2015, 11:35 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The navigation is quite nice, used it yesterday for a drive in Germany. Main map display on my phone with thumps on my wrist to let me know I'm about to miss a turn, quick glance at the watch to see the next instruction, seemed safer than looking at my phone.

I managed to send a hand drawn **** picture to a mate and he sent ***** back, that's a few hundred quid's worth right there.

Ever lost your phone in the house? Press a button to ping your phone, saved me going mental once already.

It's a great looking watch for £350 some G-Shocks are the same money and do a lot less.

I now have a log of my heart rate to go with the other health data I already collect, and it encourages you to do more even just stand up for a bit.

You can use your phone as a periscope, that has endless possibilities.

It's only a few days old and there are already massive amounts of apps that may suit you but not me, I can't wait for native apps but that'll be a year.
Old 26 April 2015, 11:37 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Downside:
You need to charge it every day really.
It garnered way too much attention from the male cabin crew on my flight, which I checked into using my watch!!
Old 26 April 2015, 10:50 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I'll look into getting one once the initial demand has subsided.
Old 26 April 2015, 11:09 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CEX in Leeds just gave my mate 560 quid for the 300 quid one, LOL wonder if they made a mistake ......
Old 27 April 2015, 02:34 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just had status updated to "Dispatched in 4-6 weeks"... (Delivery 27th May - 9th June)

Old 27 April 2015, 04:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Just had status updated to "Dispatched in 4-6 weeks"... (Delivery 27th May - 9th June)

That'll change again no doubt, I still think it's worth it. Loving the Workout app, subtly encouraging.
Old 27 April 2015, 05:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I've found out how to use a bit more battery. Now at 40% from 8:30 this morning. 2:30 of bike riding and 1:30 of walking both with the Workout app running. It gets your position more often and also takes your heart rate more often. You can turn off the constant heart monitoring.
Old 27 April 2015, 09:31 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

With mine I think I'd easily get two days from a charge, it's the 42mm version.
Old 27 April 2015, 10:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'm still on 22% I don't think 2 days would be a problem and charging is quick.
Old 28 April 2015, 09:12 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
The navigation is quite nice, used it yesterday for a drive in Germany. Main map display on my phone with thumps on my wrist to let me know I'm about to miss a turn, quick glance at the watch to see the next instruction, seemed safer than looking at my phone.

I managed to send a hand drawn **** picture to a mate and he sent ***** back, that's a few hundred quid's worth right there.

Ever lost your phone in the house? Press a button to ping your phone, saved me going mental once already.

It's a great looking watch for £350 some G-Shocks are the same money and do a lot less.

I now have a log of my heart rate to go with the other health data I already collect, and it encourages you to do more even just stand up for a bit.

You can use your phone as a periscope, that has endless possibilities.

It's only a few days old and there are already massive amounts of apps that may suit you but not me, I can't wait for native apps but that'll be a year.
periscope?!
Old 28 April 2015, 09:23 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

There's a remote viewfinder app on the Watch. You can hold your phone over your head and look at your wrist. Up periscope.
Old 28 April 2015, 10:34 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

lol
Old 29 April 2015, 12:05 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent

http://news.sky.com/story/1474194/ta...to-malfunction

That'll keep chavs from wearing it

Old 29 April 2015, 03:58 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

For once, Jack, I have to utterly agree with that statement
Old 01 May 2015, 10:20 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

That's the first week done and I can tell you you'd have to pry this thing from my cold dead wrist. It just keeps getting better, so many thoughtful little things that mean my phone stays put and I don't waste time... even telling the time which I'd been using my phone for
Old 01 May 2015, 11:20 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I read this type heart monitor can be unreliable unless it's in exactly right position on teh wrist

I doubt that'll trouble many fanbois however

Last edited by dpb; 01 May 2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01 May 2015, 11:23 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the first week done and I can tell you you'd have to pry this thing from my cold dead wrist. It just keeps getting better, so many thoughtful little things that mean my phone stays put and I don't waste time... even telling the time which I'd been using my phone for
Well it'll be easy, you'll have to take it off anyway to charge it in a few hours time, not saying that I'd want one of course, you can keep the bling. Shame you spent so much on a fabulous phone only for it to spend most of its time in your pocket.
Old 01 May 2015, 12:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Face it guys, you're wrong. A few hours, you mean 72 hours, that's quite a few hours in my book, Apple have over delivered on battery life. The heart rate monitor and calorie count have been proven to be accurate, no idea what Fanboi site you're reading.
Old 01 May 2015, 12:32 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Needs charging EVERY day and it's a WATCH?!

My Suunto Ambit 2 is 100m waterproof, has proper accelerometers (great for indoor swimming), GPS, a barometer, compass, HRM, is customisable, looks quite good, very solid, can navigate with it, use maps, etc, etc plus if you only use it as a watch, it'll last two weeks on a charge (less if you use the GPS functions) and it's now £220 (it was nearer £400). - the Apple Sport watch isn't even waterproof!

I'm all for good products but the iPad and this watch just make me question much of Apple's customer base.

And this really sums it up:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2015042797777
Old 01 May 2015, 01:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You know why it's £200? I'll tell you, it's because the Apple watch is better for the majority of users, they're not stupid so are selling them half price. My last 3 watches have been Suunto and the Ambit was next on the list until the Apple Watch was announced, it has all the accuracy I need plus the computing power of the iPhone, you're stuck with what it does out of the box.

Swimming with the Watch is perfectly fine, if you want to go diving to 100m then I'd suggest using something more than an Ambit, Suunto have a fine range of diving watches.

Edited to add you sound like a Blackberry user in 2007, they were wrong and so are you.

Last edited by JackClark; 01 May 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01 May 2015, 01:57 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Are you at all aware of waterproofing standards? Clearly not.

If a "sports" watch used for health tracking can't even be used for running or cycling in rain, what use is it?

No I'm not a Blackberry whiner; I have an iPhone 6, a MacBook Pro as do all our staff. Of course I was interested in this watch just before I got my Suunto (which replaced a Garmin 910xt); then I saw the battery life and lack of proper waterproofing and immediately dismissed it.

Oh and if I get a deep tan which I always do in Summer, an Apple watch won't even work properly. A racist watch? Yep.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Why do you keep saying you can't use an Apple Watch in the rain, you can wear it swimming so I'd think wearing it in the rain would be fine.

You must be feeling butt hurt because the Apple Watch made your watch half in retail price, good luck on the resale value. It's understandable, rant away.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This just shows how deluded Jack is over Apple products. You have Matteeboy above who is clearly an avid apple user and yet realises what a waste of time the watch is due to key features that are lacking. Whereas JC is blinded by the marketing and his ridiculous love of Apple and can see nothing wrong Or rather refuses to admit there is anything wrong with it. You're demented Jack
Old 01 May 2015, 02:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Agreed Bio.
Jack; I'll tell you why mine is cheaper - the Ambit 3 came out but I wanted the hard-wired data transfer of the Ambit 2 as I find it more reliable.

I did a ten mile night race a month ago; proper trail running in rivers, over obstacles and all at night; the Apple watch would have died ten deaths. The Suunto was great. As an "athlete" (I was 11th out of 240 and had done naff all training due to a lengthy bout of illness) that Apple is trying to sell to, it's so badly flawed, it's hilarious. I also reckon a light knock would break it.

It's for posers that'll never step outside of an office or gym.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bioforger
This just shows how deluded Jack is over Apple products. You have Matteeboy above who is clearly an avid apple user and yet realises what a waste of time the watch is due to key features that are lacking. Whereas JC is blinded by the marketing and his ridiculous love of Apple and can see nothing wrong Or rather refuses to admit there is anything wrong with it. You're demented Jack
I'm deluded, you've both read a blog somewhere on the internet that told you it can't be worn in the rain and doesn't work on anything but white skin, that's delusion. I on the other hand own the product.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Agreed Bio.
Jack; I'll tell you why mine is cheaper - the Ambit 3 came out but I wanted the hard-wired data transfer of the Ambit 2 as I find it more reliable.

I did a ten mile night race a month ago; proper trail running in rivers, over obstacles and all at night; the Apple watch would have died ten deaths. The Suunto was great. As an "athlete" (I was 11th out of 240 and had done naff all training due to a lengthy bout of illness) that Apple is trying to sell to, it's so badly flawed, it's hilarious. I also reckon a light knock would break it.

It's for posers that'll never step outside of an office or gym.
Well done mate, maybe have a look at the multiple marathons Christy Turlington ran whilst testing the Apple watch, makes your ten miles seem silly.

All of my exercise this week has been tracked and displayed perfectly by the Apple watch and iPhone, it's a great combination, I even like the little words of encouragement. I particularly enjoyed the taps on the wrist for directions whilst out bike riding, great feature I'm sure you'll agree.

Here's her latest Blog post, such a no gym poser. https://www.apple.com/watch/christy-turlington-burns/

Last edited by JackClark; 01 May 2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:34 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ahh yes, the ex supermodel, no doubt being paid a fortune to endorse it.
She's running road marathons; totally different to trail running and probably only run in the dry.

It's a mockery; no proper athlete would use an Apple watch unless paid to do it.

From the Apple website;

Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof.

A sports watch that isn't waterproof and lasts barely one day before it needs charging.

"Chocolate" and "fire guard" spring to mind.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 01 May 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice bit of sponsorship

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apples Watch and stuff