Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Re-Spray or Detailing ??

Old 10 February 2015, 01:46 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Spray or Detailing ??

Hi Guys,

I have been reading a couple of topics in the last few days regarding car detailing and in particular one about best polish for a black Impreza.

Well I have a 05 STI in Black (Not the Gold Fleck, Not sure of the code) and its in need of a little work on the roof, I polished a few times last summer and it improved it but it seems its deep in the paint and what can only be described as swirls, crack cobwebs.

The rest of the car is in very good condition, Front and Back bumpers were re-sprayed last year (Slight damage to front and scuff on rear) but now the bonnet looks a little shabby next to the nice bumper (Mainly stone chips).
The car was also finished off with a MOP polish before I picked it up and it looked great until upon very close inspection you notice the roof and bonnet.

The big problem here is I am a perfectionist and once spotted to me it stands out a mile and I am never happy until its corrected even when everyone else can't see the issue. So in short I need to get this sorted.

I was considering in the spring returning to the bodyshop and getting a re-spray on the roof and bonnet.

But from what I have read and seen I could get the whole car detailed for around the same price / a little more.

First question which of the two routes is likely to resolve the stone chips and blemishes on the roof ??

I found this place in Solihull and this particular product come with a 5 year guarantee

http://www.detailmyride.co.uk/gtechniq.html

Anyone got any experience of these people / product ??
Is there better out there ??

What's the best value for money ??

Now I'm all for paying someone a good price for a good professional job then maintaining it myself but I am sure there are like with everything some brands / process you will pay for the name / service more than the actual product.

Anyone come recommended in the midlands ??

Finally, Seen on FleaBay you can buy your own electric polisher but have read some comments about not doing it yourself, Would one of those be any good for applying further coats of stuff / general maintenance after a professional detail ??

Something like this ??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180mm-Vari...item35de081e2e

Or is detailing that good its not required ??

Cheers
Mark.
Old 10 February 2015, 01:54 PM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, try Midlands Car Care they do detailing etc just priced up a full detail on my hatch.

I was quoted £275 +

Heres a link of there work.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302579
Old 10 February 2015, 04:05 PM
SCOOBYRICH740_20_0
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate

Im in coventry not to far away. Please check my website for recent pictures of what i have done and prices. I have also just done my 54 plate black sti with the gold fleck which has come up lovely. New pictures of that to be uploaded shortly. www.ukdetailingsupplies.co.uk
Old 11 February 2015, 09:49 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midland car care tend to do high volume work. Not saying they do a bad job but they're always seem to be packing them in.

Richard above does great work. And I for one can recomend him.
Old 11 February 2015, 10:10 PM
dal c
Scooby Regular

Its a shame you are to far away as i could of looked at the panels and let you know the best way to go as we get these questions of our customers a lot.
Old 11 February 2015, 11:31 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dal c
Its a shame you are to far away as i could of looked at the panels and let you know the best way to go as we get these questions of our customers a lot.

Yeah shame you are so far away as I guess what you are suggesting is the best way forward, No point having a re-spray if detailing would resolve the issues and vice versa.
Old 19 March 2015, 02:40 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cobwebs and swirls can be polished out, if the lacquer is broken you will need paint.
I suggest you try a DA polisher before a rotary, they run cooler and as a result are more forgiving.
Keep things simple for your first detail use one brand of pads and polish eg Hex logic pads and 3m compounds. Speak to a good detailing retailer and tell them you're a novice and they should be able to recommend a polish and pad combination.
Old 30 March 2015, 11:54 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel
Cobwebs and swirls can be polished out, if the lacquer is broken you will need paint.
I suggest you try a DA polisher before a rotary, they run cooler and as a result are more forgiving.
Keep things simple for your first detail use one brand of pads and polish eg Hex logic pads and 3m compounds. Speak to a good detailing retailer and tell them you're a novice and they should be able to recommend a polish and pad combination.
Thanks for the advice

It's only swirls and cobwebs, lacquer looks fine.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a DA polisher ??

Can you recommend a retailer to contact ??

Cheers
Old 31 March 2015, 01:13 AM
Y27JLC
Scooby Regular

If your roof has stone chips its possible to treat them then fill with a touch up and wet sand flat then polish back to a decent finish with the DA ( dual action ) polisher. Be careful if you are to try this for the first time. Its not as easy as it sounds. Other than that a paint job is on the cards if u want perfection. Just a word of advice though. Dont let the paint shop mop it before you recieve it. Get a detailer to do it.
Old 24 April 2015, 03:57 PM
SCOOBYRICH740_20_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Midland car care tend to do high volume work. Not saying they do a bad job but they're always seem to be packing them in.

Richard above does great work. And I for one can recomend him.

Cheers mate appreciate that.